PDA

View Full Version : What minilinux to use?

NESFreak
September 25th, 2006, 03:53 PM
on the highschool where i go there are several 128MB celeron pcs wich even have r-clicking disabled in IE (disabeling you for instance to open a link in a new win) the good thing is that they do have acrobat reader, though they don't allow downloading files (including pdf) making it useless. In order to make use of them i need a small live usb compatible distro.

I've heard good things about puppy and dsl, but what minilinux should i use and why? How well do they work with usb-flash sticks? (got a 512MB stick and want to use it for this purpose)

any sugestions?
NESFreak

henriquemaia
September 25th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I will recomend Puppy Linux, since it's very light and well featured. It's always my choice when it comes to old computers.

Kateikyoushi
September 25th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Seems this (http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/03/30/177205) person was really statisfied with DSL and his pendrive, I gave it a go out of curiosity was so good that I plan to install it permanently on our oldest machine.

meng
September 25th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I've tried both and I liked both. Pretty much equally.

NESFreak
September 25th, 2006, 05:07 PM
<!-- offtopic WTF zero replies? !!!! //-->

since i found a howto for installing dsl on a usb drive withouth using the script that you can run form the live cd (forcing me to burn it, wich is one of the reasons why wanna use a usb stick) and there is a usb boot floppy.

tnx for your replies, NESFreak

Brunellus
September 25th, 2006, 05:19 PM
DSL-embedded will run within Windows, which is your ideal solution.

NESFreak
September 25th, 2006, 05:43 PM
<WTF why cant i reply with quote?>

"DSL-embedded will run within Windows, which is your ideal solution."
Qemu on a 633mhz celeron? wouldn't even dare to try.

Brunellus
September 25th, 2006, 06:24 PM
<WTF why cant i reply with quote?>

"DSL-embedded will run within Windows, which is your ideal solution."
Qemu on a 633mhz celeron? wouldn't even dare to try.
it's worth a shot.