PDA

View Full Version : Firefox on Ubuntu vs. Firefox on SUSE

BarfBag
September 25th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Last week, I switched to good ol' SUSE 10 (hate 10.1). I've been using Linux for a little over 2 years, and SUSE was my first. Coming back, I realized something - Firefox in SUSE murders Firefox in Ubuntu. The Firefox in Ubuntu was very unstable. It would randomly close, the MPlayer plug-in didn't work half the time, JAVA and Flash would freeze it most of the time, and things were slower overall. I haven't had a single one of those issues in SUSE. I checked, and I'm using the same version. Has anybody else noticed this?

Luggy
September 25th, 2006, 03:44 PM
PINCNIC ( Problem in chair, not in computer )

Firefox is stable for me, Java works, Mplayer plugin works, flash works but I have componding issues with my sound card so that can kinda suck some times.

darteo
September 25th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Dear BB,

I am so new, this is the first post in the forum and I wonder if I will ever get back here to read your answer. (darteo4art@gmail.com) This is a brave new world. I loaded Ubantu on my previous xp pentium 3. Most of it seems to work. I am amazed that there are some options to using Msoft. I am using a dial up and things go very slow. I am also an American in Rome Italy, so that makes it more interesting.

I was asked to manual download a Java plug-in for a chat client on Firefox. It had several options for different types of linux. Which do I choose? What number linux is Ubuntu? I read some threads in this forum about Java, it seems complicated. I am so new I have no idea what they are talking about. Has anyone thought of a step by step intallation guide for the normal every day end-user?

I am responding to your thread, but realize it is not completely in keeping with what you are talking about. Can we get SUN to list Ubuntu Linux there, so the choice would be easier for people like me? It would be great publicity for the Ubuntu software. If you need to forward this to anyone. Please do. Thanks, Darteo PS can you copy your answer to my email?

Last week, I switched to good ol' SUSE 10 (hate 10.1). I've been using Linux for a little over 2 years, and SUSE was my first. Coming back, I realized something - Firefox in SUSE murders Firefox in Ubuntu. The Firefox in Ubuntu was very unstable. It would randomly close, the MPlayer plug-in didn't work half the time, JAVA and Flash would freeze it most of the time, and things were slower overall. I haven't had a single one of those issues in SUSE. I checked, and I'm using the same version. Has anybody else noticed this?

k|d<FuNkY>FrY
September 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I have had some minor issues with Firefox from time to time under Ubuntu...I have SLED on my laptop (P4 2.4Ghz / 640MB RAM) but I've only had this OS installed for a couple weeks now. Seems a bit sluggist from time to time but I guess that's besides the point. I haven't used Firefox enough to really provide a fair comparo between the two.

The only real problem I have with Firefox under Ubuntu is when I'm looking on Newegg's website. Every so often, without any forewarning whatsoever, Firefox vanishes after I click on the 'close window' javascript function in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Seems to me that Firefox has a hard time handling it for whatever reason.

javascript:closeWindow();

I just Opera now when using that website. Other than not, not too many other issues.

yatt
September 25th, 2006, 08:53 PM

I've found that most firefox plugins have about a 75% chance of installing properly. Like this install (I keep borking my system by upgrading to edgy) eeverything but Flash works. Usually it is gxine/mplayer that is borked, and for me giving up video is not worth flash.

darkhatter
September 25th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I have had some minor issues with Firefox from time to time under Ubuntu...I have SLED on my laptop (P4 2.4Ghz / 640MB RAM) but I've only had this OS installed for a couple weeks now. Seems a bit sluggist from time to time but I guess that's besides the point. I haven't used Firefox enough to really provide a fair comparo between the two.

The only real problem I have with Firefox under Ubuntu is when I'm looking on Newegg's website. Every so often, without any forewarning whatsoever, Firefox vanishes after I click on the 'close window' javascript function in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Seems to me that Firefox has a hard time handling it for whatever reason.

javascript:closeWindow();

I just Opera now when using that website. Other than not, not too many other issues.

go to the bottom right and turn off web browser indexing, that slows done my computer too

AMD Turion 64 X2

k|d<FuNkY>FrY
September 27th, 2006, 05:45 PM
go to the bottom right and turn off web browser indexing, that slows done my computer too

AMD Turion 64 X2

I'll give that a go! Thx for the reply!

dca
September 27th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I have the exact same issue w/ Firefox. On openSuSE 10.1 it flies, but on Ubuntu it's painfully slow... On start-up and when navigating web pages.... My Ubuntu Firefox needs an enema!