PDA

View Full Version : Linux Stereotyping

Kiddalee
September 25th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Dialogue from my first University History Seminar:

"Why don't we all go around the class and say a little bit about ourselves?"
"Hi, I'm Vicki, I like trees, I use Linux on my computer, even though I'm not a big computer person..."
"Well, if you use Linux, I'd say you are a rather big computer person, whether or not you'd like to admit it..."
"Oh, it's Ubuntu."
"What?"
"It's user-friendly."
"I... don't... understand."
"And if I actually talked to the real geeks, they wouldn't say I'm a geek."

Hey, wait a second... since when did big computer people not want to admit it?
Next class, I was rather reluctant to comment on the professor's frivolous use of Java on his webpage. Now he's going to think his suspicions are confirmed.
(By the way, I have never once opened FrontPage, but you'd think it would use hyperlinks by default, not Java links? *confuses*)

IYY
September 25th, 2006, 01:39 AM
The non-geek Linux user is still a new thing. Give the world some time to get used to it!

Albi
September 25th, 2006, 01:41 AM
The Linux stereotype is based on people who used linux 10 years ago, when this was the best distro:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil_Linux

croak77
September 25th, 2006, 04:04 AM
She's a geek. Anyone who like trees is a geek.

punkinside
September 25th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Hmmm the trees bit does throw me off a little.

you like trees in a chain-yourself-to-one-to-save-it-from-logging way or just theire-nice way??

fuscia
September 25th, 2006, 04:23 AM
wtf is frontpage?

aysiu
September 25th, 2006, 06:16 AM
There are varying degrees of "geek." People at work think I'm a "big computer person" because I know how to enable the "Show Desktop" button in Windows.

The IT people at work, however, think I'm definitely not a geek since I don't even understand the difference between SQL and Oracle.

MrHorus
September 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
There are varying degrees of "geek." People at work think I'm a "big computer person" because I know how to enable the "Show Desktop" button in Windows.

The IT people at work, however, think I'm definitely not a geek since I don't even understand the difference between SQL and Oracle.

I'll side with the IT folks at work :)

Kateikyoushi
September 25th, 2006, 01:24 PM
It does not depend on what OS you use but rather what do you do with it.

Michael_aust
September 25th, 2006, 06:22 PM

What is the difference? I thought Oracle was an SQL database and used all that relational stuff etc.