PDA

View Full Version : Linux jobs in UK?

Dinerty
September 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Just wondered if any of you guys make a living working with Linux?, I graduated from University with a HND in Network Computing, however, most employers want experience within the industry.

I am in love with Linux and would like to get a job within it some day (Network Admin or something similar).

Many places run Linux servers?

Any tips?

mips
September 25th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I would look at the telecoms industry as a good start. High tech and lots of Unix/Linux in use.

Your best bet would be to look at big corporates like BT, Cisco, C&W, Orange, Vodavone, Juniper etc

They tend to use a lot of unix based management platform. If you look at the big companies you will also find they offer internships for graduates etc.

It might mean relocation to their corporate headcourters though.

There are also financial institutions but I'm not that familair with them.

shrimphead
September 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Google have a major london office and are looking for graduates.

Dinerty, I'm in a similar boat to you, I've just finished uni (my MSc) and am trying to get a job involved with Linux, so far I've not had any luck at all :(

whereabouts in the UK are you looking?

ComplexNumber
September 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM
try employment search engines such as cwjobs.co.uk that deal specifically with IT jobs. here (http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/JobSearch/Results.aspx?Keywords=linux) is a taster.
there are many others. get your name down with lots of agencies, and make each of the agencies aware that you are registered with others and that they are getting you leads. this will make them all compete for you because they hate to let another agencies steal their clients. you have to hassle them quite regularly(about once or twice a week), though, otherwise you will never hear from them again.

darrenm
September 25th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I work for a computer company in worcestershire doing remote Linux/Unix server admin. We're actually looking for Linux people at the moment.

Pay is just not what you would expect for a Linux job.

Dinerty
September 25th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Google have a major london office and are looking for graduates.

Dinerty, I'm in a similar boat to you, I've just finished uni (my MSc) and am trying to get a job involved with Linux, so far I've not had any luck at all :(

whereabouts in the UK are you looking?

I would relocate if a suitable job was found, I check I.T related jobs very often, however I'm missing one key ingredient .... "Experience" .... I have not seen one job, espically Linux based adverts, which want people who are not in a senior role or been doing it for several years.

I mean how on earth are we suppose to get the jobs?, I'm now grands in debt for a piece of paper !.

I work for a computer company in worcestershire doing remote Linux/Unix server admin. We're actually looking for Linux people at the moment.

Pay is just not what you would expect for a Linux job.

This sounds a ideal job I would like to get into, upon seeing many job adverts for Linux, the pay seems to start around 23k, which I think is very good.

How did you get into the industry if you don't mind me asking?

try employment search engines such as cwjobs.co.uk that deal specifically with IT jobs. here is a taster.
there are many others. get your name down with lots of agencies, and make each of the agencies aware that you are registered with others and that they are getting you leads. this will make them all compete for you because they hate to let another agencies steal their clients. you have to hassle them quite regularly(about once or twice a week), though, otherwise you will never hear from them again.

I am signed up to several, but none of them have found anything, I will check this out and see what there up to. I do search many job websites and go round my area, however no luck due to lack of experience in the industry

I would look at the telecoms industry as a good start. High tech and lots of Unix/Linux in use.

Your best bet would be to look at big corporates like BT, Cisco, C&W, Orange, Vodavone, Juniper etc

They tend to use a lot of unix based management platform. If you look at the big companies you will also find they offer internships for graduates etc.

It might mean relocation to their corporate headcourters though.

There are also financial institutions but I'm not that familair with them.

Thanks, I'm going to look into this now and see if I can find anything

Michael_aust
September 25th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Have you taken any certification LPI, Novell, Redhat?

You will notice a lot of the Unix/linux jobs in the UK specifically ask for prior experience, now we know this will be more then just saying I can use it. They will want something to prove you can do.

Wether they mean prior experience working in a job that was Linux related, or wether they class experience as having passed the RHCE exams I don't know.

Perhaps you should consider going in the for the first level LPI certification. I intend to take the two exams to gain level 1 certification next year while I am on my placement year in the IT industry. It would give you some credibility to perspective employers. Even if you did cover Linux at University it is likely to be complete rubbish (I know what they cover at my University with Linux is absolute rubbish).

Michael.

ComplexNumber
September 25th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I am signed up to several, but none of them have found anythingyou have to ring them up and hassle them about once a week, otherwise they forget that you even exist. also, you have to (subtly) make them know that you have other agencies who are clamouring to employ you too. every now and again, subtly slip in the following line somewhere in your conversation with them over the phone: ".....I am attending an interview gained through another agency next week....."
you have to keep them on their toes. if they think they don't have any competition for you, they won't make any effort.

mips
September 25th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Google "UK graduate jobs"

http://www.cisco.com/global/EMEA/career/grads/positions/ase/index.shtml
http://www.cisco.com/global/EMEA/career/grads/positions/cse/index.shtml
http://www.google.co.uk/jobs/

Michael_aust
September 25th, 2006, 11:18 PM
take a look at http://monster.co.uk as well. A simple search on there for Linux turns up hundreds of job adverts that require Linux knowledge.

Again though as I said before, experience is the key. They all seem to want 2-5 years experience with a particular skill e.g. 5 years php experience. The hardest bit is proving this experience.

I doubt that you can realistically get a real job involving the use of Linux straight after graduation (although thats what I am hoping for).

I don't know how it is perceived by employers, but perhaps if you have the time to devote, start contributing to a Free Software project, its something you can add on to your CV anyway. You could class it as some kind of proof.

mips
September 25th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I doubt that you can realistically get a real job involving the use of Linux straight after graduation (although thats what I am hoping for).

The thing is to get your foot in the door and then try and move on quickly to find what you want within the company.
Don't ignore an oppertunity simply because it does not meet your expectations 100%.

ComplexNumber
September 26th, 2006, 12:00 AM
its worth noting that the skill requirements stated on job advertisements are ALWAYS MORE those which are actually required. its so they can filter out as many people as possible in order to increase their chances of getting the right person.

darrenm
September 26th, 2006, 08:42 AM
This sounds a ideal job I would like to get into, upon seeing many job adverts for Linux, the pay seems to start around 23k, which I think is very good.

How did you get into the industry if you don't mind me asking?

My job pays 23.5k currently but I will shortly be asking for a pay rise as I think the job I do is worth more than that.

Did tech support for a few years in a normal oem computer company, then R+D stuff then applied for this job. TBH though as long as you can demonstrate some Linux knowledge its fine.

Bigger paid jobs will want LPI/RHCE etc.