PDA

View Full Version : Setting up ubuntu for some older people getting their first pc?

rocktorrentz
September 24th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Some friends of my parents who are in their 70s are thinking about getting a computer to communicate with friends living in other countries and maybe use some basic photo editing software. I was thinking of installing ubuntu but I want to make it extra simple with a menu like Mac OS where the few applications they want to use will be right there, represented with pictures. Are there any versions of ubuntu or linux/bsd in general which are designed for this purpose?

I will be setting it up and I reasonably competant with linux and computers so any ideas that require manual customisation will be ok.

Thanks in advance
rocktorrentz

edit: I'm going to post this in another part of the forums because it isn't strictly about accessibility.

foolsh
September 24th, 2006, 08:35 PM
i just installed kubuntu for my father inlaw and he is 70. i choose the kde interface because he was used to windows. IMO kde is more similiar than gnome in that respect I left every thing default except increasing the font size for readablilty. thats it asfar as my experiance goes. good luck