PDA

View Full Version : I feel so dirty

MikePnKY
September 23rd, 2006, 11:15 PM
Well, we managed NOT to get hit by any of the tornados that came through last night....Sat up all night with the cats in their carriers ready to head for shelter, but everything missed us by a ways...but DSL is down, and has been all day. Ubuntu will not recognize the modem in my desktop or my laptop, and I was having withdrawals..

So I rummaged around in the "junk closet" and pulled out this antique compac with Win 98 and dialed up the backup number.

Can you ever forgive me??

croak77
September 23rd, 2006, 11:18 PM
This isn't AA. Who cares what you use.

Rashid584
September 23rd, 2006, 11:20 PM
Neveeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

:p

-Rashid

DoctorMO
September 24th, 2006, 01:40 AM
You will now be wipped 12 times for your crimes!

%hMa@?b<C
September 24th, 2006, 01:48 AM
you mean... dial-up is still a protocol?

zenwhen
September 24th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Actually, dial up internet is still very commonly used by both home users in areas with no infrastructure for broadband set up and by business users who ned to connect to VPN's when they cannot get a network link where they are.

I wouldnt want to be stuck using it myself, the assumption you made in your post and how you made it could be very insulting to someone in an area where they cannot get a better connection. A year ago, i was one of those people and I would have been highly annoyed.

"You mean, people still drive cars that are not Porsches?" is a very similar arrogant statement.

blackened
September 24th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Maybe you should go back and read the OP. There was no allusion to dialup being bad. He was saying he feels dirty from being forced into using Windows.

We had nasty weather here in Oklahoma also Mike. No tornadoes that I know of though.

jimrz
September 24th, 2006, 02:23 AM
seems you had little alternative....but do remember to wash your hands

%hMa@?b<C
September 24th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Actually, dial up internet is still very commonly used by both home users in areas with no infrastructure for broadband set up and by business users who ned to connect to VPN's when they cannot get a network link where they are.

I wouldnt want to be stuck using it myself, the assumption you made in your post and how you made it could be very insulting to someone in an area where they cannot get a better connection. A year ago, i was one of those people and I would have been highly annoyed.

"You mean, people still drive cars that are not Porsches?" is a very similar arrogant statement.
sorry, didn't mean to be demeaning. Its just because i havenyt heard of anyone using Dial up in at least three years in my town.

Buzzygirl
September 24th, 2006, 03:06 AM
One does what they must to get online... you were in a pinch, so all is forgiven! :D :D

Glad to hear that you were mostly out of the path of severe weather.

Klaidas
September 24th, 2006, 07:46 AM
There's a tornado going on and all you worry about is using Windows?
Linux zealot detector launching in 3, 2, 1...

insane_alien
September 24th, 2006, 12:36 PM
you should get a mobile phone with internet access and a data cable for the phone. crap bandwidth but it works with linux.

GPRS is just under 56k speeds but the 3G ones are quite a bit higher so go for one of those.

ekuliak
September 25th, 2006, 05:28 AM
When I was in Canada for vacation a year or so back, all I had access to was an old laptop with Windows 98 on it. But that laptop was later given to me, and is now running Damn Small Linux :cool:

Now that I think about it, I don't think I was even using Linux back then. Either that or I was just starting to get into it. :-k