PDA

View Full Version : YALR - Yet Another Linux Rant

Lord Illidan
September 23rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
This guys, is a rant I made 1 year ago..when I was a member of Winforums : http://forums.winforums.org/showthread.php?t=9770&page=3

Don't get me wrong. For simple tasks, such as wordprocessing with OOffice.org, web browsing, printing, etc, Linux can do the job perfectly, which I belive is what over 60% of computer users do.
On the other hand, I am more than just a simple computer user. I demand 3d games, more programs, good compatibility, and I want to configure everything, and muck around. Linux gives me the ability to configure everything, and muck around, fine. It is also secure. But it is hell on earth to fix, and even worse in compatibility.

Let me give you my story.

Last summer, I installed Fedora Core 1, which was included with a book about Fedora Core, very good. I liked Fedora Core a lot, installed some games on it, including a demo of UT 2004, and Globulation, the graphics driver was good, the sound was detected on startup, in short excellent stuff. The pitfall came when installing KDE 3.3, dependency hell...

I then got Xandros 2. Good OS, but I disliked the Windows like interface and it didn't appeal to me. However, the sound and graphics card worked..

I then switched to Mandrake CE 10.1, for a more modern system, which I got from PC Plus. This could never work with my soundcard, a Genius Soundmaker Live 4.1, which already made me angry. Second, it had some niggling probs with the graphics card installation. I then got another soundcard, a CM 8738, I believe, but it could NOT work with Windows, although it was fine with Mandrake!! I was stumped, since the rest of the family uses Windows, and will never change to Linux.

I then switched to SuSe 9.2, from Pc Plus. This worked fine with soundcard, but had problems with graphics card. I resolved them, but then had a problem when running Globulation in GL mode..it didn't work, and erased my driver..off with Suse..

I then got Fedora Core 3, again from PC Plus (I have a thing for mags)..It doesn't seem to work 100% though.

I now think I am going to reinstall Suse..

As you can see, it is incredibly frustrating..all the distros above have good features, but somehow, where is the perfect distro?
I want to learn to use Linux, as I aim for a career in software development, and I have already started programming on it..nothing special, just a few Bash scripts and pascal with Lazarus. I have also learnt how to use the Bash terminal..but dependencies have got me off my rocker..

And with DLLs, etc, then howcome Windows, with just one CD, seems to have all the DLLs, while the others, which are DVD editions, with 3 or more Cds are all the time falling into dep hell?

boy, i needed that rant..10x

Hehe...How strange it seems to be reading that rant... Now I haven't used Windows for ages...

DoctorMO
September 23rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Dep hell was a pain in the ****, dll hell still exists, but what people forget too easily is that applications makers distrobute their apps with all the windows dlls required *again* in order to _not_ use the ones in windows/system32. you never know what version is there and what program requires it. so it's safter to just use whats in your programs root directory instead which is all rather sad.

Lord Illidan
September 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Dep hell was a pain in the ****, dll hell still exists, but what people forget too easily is that applications makers distrobute their apps with all the windows dlls required *again* in order to _not_ use the ones in windows/system32. you never know what version is there and what program requires it. so it's safter to just use whats in your programs root directory instead which is all rather sad.

True... I hope that with Autopackage and Klick this problem will be solved.