PDA

View Full Version : Kanotix Talk

Minyaliel
September 23rd, 2006, 07:26 PM
I'm writing this from a Kanotix live CD... It seems like a great distro. Anyone else tried it? What do you think?

I'm going to keep the cd, at least, perhaps I'll install it to the new PC I get in a few days... It's fast, but I seriously think it looks horrible :P Both the boot- up screen and the wallpaper look very amateurish.

arox
September 23rd, 2006, 07:29 PM
Good hardware detection but it's bloated

greggh
September 23rd, 2006, 07:41 PM
Which is better, Kanotix or Knoppix?

Anonii
September 23rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
Kanotix is great, for showing data-recovery and such things, since its hardware auto-detection wins, and its like guaranteed to work on any system. It, actually, supports more hardware than any OS, the moment we are talking.
But as the main OS. No, thanks!

RAV TUX
October 2nd, 2006, 12:17 AM
Which is better, Kanotix or Knoppix?

Knoppix but I have never tried Kanotix...a lot of people push it but what is so different, it is based on Knoppix, what have they added to or taken away from Knoppix?

I was just going to try it but the homesite scared the hell out of me...I think I will stick with Knoppix.

greggh
October 2nd, 2006, 04:05 AM
Knoppix but I have never tried Kanotix...a lot of people push it but what is so different, it is based on Knoppix, what have they added to or taken away from Knoppix?

I was just going to try it but the homesite scared the hell out of me...I think I will stick with Knoppix.

I read in some reviews that the hardware detection in Kanotix is better than Knoppix. I haven't installed it yet either, although I did try the livecd. I just can't think of a good reason to actually "install" anything other than Ubuntu. I do enjoy playing with different livecds though.

slam
November 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Kanotix is not based on Knoppix, but directly on Debian Sid. It just uses some Knoppix-tools for live CD creation. It is famous for it's out of the box impressive hardware recognition, and optimized for modern and bleeding edge hardware. It is intended to be used not just as a Live-CD, but also as a fast and easy HDD-installer for pure Debian Sid.

Kanotix does not come with predictable releases, and does not maintain a PPC branch. It is very much KDE-focused.

Greetings,
Chris

TrailerTrash
November 13th, 2006, 01:23 AM
I was bored the other day and loaded up KANOTIX on a old 366mhz laptop with 128ram and that freaking thing works great....Its fast for what it is. Im even using KDE....Very usable.

steven8
November 14th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I liked the KDE. Very usable. Kanotix just wouldn't see my modem.