PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to UbuntuForums

darkhatter
September 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
I need help, I'm not the biggest fan of Ubuntu but I love the forums, sometimes I check the forums 10 times a day. Is there anyone else with this problem?

=P~ =P~ =P~

~Andrew~

Brunellus
September 22nd, 2006, 06:53 PM
yeah. Forum staff are all addicts.

/me cues Curtis Mayfield, "Pusherman" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNyXEOJ3_es&mode=related&search=)

Omnios
September 22nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Is there anyone else with this problem?

Same here, one of the first things I do in the morning is check the forums. I spend a lot of time everyday on it but seeing as I get to help people I do not mind this.

fuscia
September 22nd, 2006, 06:59 PM
I need help, I'm the biggest fan of Ubuntu but I love the forums, sometimes I check the forums 10 times a day. Is there anyone else with this problem?

go ahead and check them more often. your body will adapt.

Dinerty
September 22nd, 2006, 07:02 PM
Usually check the forums before I brush my teeth/shower in the mornings :(

GuitarHero
September 22nd, 2006, 07:16 PM
I check em whenever I have nothing to do, which is surprisingly often.

henriquemaia
September 22nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Hummmmmm. Guess I suffer from that syndrome too.

TravisNewman
September 22nd, 2006, 08:09 PM
not as addicted as I once was, times change. But yes, I'm still an addict.

crane
September 22nd, 2006, 08:37 PM
I have a feed of the forums on my Google home page so I can see many of the new posts whe I am working troughout the day.
But now I'm not and addict..... I can quite anytime I want to..... ummmm it's not like I NEED it. LOL

dabear
September 22nd, 2006, 08:37 PM
I need help, I'm the biggest fan of Ubuntu but I love the forums, sometimes I check the forums 10 times a day. Is there anyone else with this problem?

=P~ =P~ =P~

~Andrew~
only 10 times a day??

I check the forums a lot more than you do, then :p

weatherman
September 22nd, 2006, 08:56 PM
I used to hang out on two forums...trying to get down to only this one. :rolleyes:

TravisNewman
September 22nd, 2006, 09:55 PM
I'm currently up to two that I check religiously, this one and cafelinux.org/forums and I have a big handful that I casually visit. I'm a forum *****.

Rule
September 22nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
i'm on ubuntuforums like every 5min :D

Cyraxzz
September 22nd, 2006, 10:34 PM
I only leave the ubuntuforums when it get's unstable.

Metacarpal
September 22nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
It takes an act of god (or goddess, in my girlfriend's case) to pry me off these forums...

henriquemaia
September 23rd, 2006, 01:43 AM
Sorry, but I can't resist in posting again... Am I addicted?

fuscia
September 23rd, 2006, 01:48 AM
walk it off.

Brunellus
September 23rd, 2006, 05:30 AM
must....stop....reading...

Zyzzyx
September 23rd, 2006, 05:39 AM
10 times/day? That's it? I'll check it much more than that, but actually being able to KEEP UP with the postings, urrff. Have learned already to be a bit pickier by titles and subforums as to what I read.

*waits for Aysiu's commentary on this thread*

dart1007
September 23rd, 2006, 05:50 AM
Ubuntu Forums is my Homepage! Is that addiction? ha-ha!:D

The Noble
September 23rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
Oh yeah, I have ubuntuforums.org as my homepage on my laptop and as a quick link on the desktop/tower. I check it quite a bit, but I stick to cafe and edgy testing forums...

henriquemaia
September 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM
must....stop....reading...

lol, man!

Does posting on our dreams counts?

weekend warrior
September 23rd, 2006, 08:22 AM
I need help, I'm not the biggest fan of Ubuntu but I love the forums, sometimes I check the forums 10 times a day. Is there anyone else with this problem?

=P~ =P~ =P~

~Andrew~

Though people are making light of this, it actually is a bit frightening seeing how much time some individuals apparently spend on here. It's not healthy folks, especially if you're past the novelty stage when you're still learning what's what around here, which many of you are. Addictions come in many forms, and an addiction can be a scary thing.

Looking at my recent posts, I can see that I generally have a pattern of checking in for a bit over a day or two, usually when I'm looking for info, then letting it go for a week or two, sometimes more.

So darkhatter, what can you do to cut down? Well, you've taken the first step acknowledging the problem. If you're checking 10 (or more) times a day, every day; it's affecting your normal life and that's not good.

Briefly looking at your posts I noticed that most were the general comment type and that's perhaps where you've gone wrong. Instead of "chatter" try responding to help threads, for example in the beginner's section. Do that consistently and you will tire much more quickly, and you'll want to take a break from here.

If your problem is also with the computer in general, spending too much time on it, you'll need some other solutions too.

What would those be? honestly? best one is a serious relionship. Someone who truly cares for you, wants to be with you and do things with you won't let you **** away your time on the computer or something as trivial as forum chatter. Another thing you can do is tell your friends about the problem and ask for their help to keep you out with them and away from your computer. If your friends are just as bad, might be time to change clans. Next up, cultivate a serious hobby/pastime that has nothing to do with the computer. If you enjoy it, you won't miss the computer a jot. Then there's my fave, join a club that does plenty of year-round outdoor activities well away from your computer. In other words, get outside! In fact, I'll be leaving for the mountains with my hiking club in just an hour or so here and I'll be gone all weekend, hence my monicker ;) So that's me outta here, follow the example darkhatter and you'll be much better and happier. :D

HTH

Life is precious and it's far too short. Go live it for real!