PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new laptop: should I wait for Vista?

megamania
September 22nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
My girlfriend and I both need to buy a laptop. Ubuntu is my only operating system at the moment, but she'll probably stick to Windows (or dual boot) at least for a while.

Since Vista requires important system resources, I was thinking that it's very likely that today's cutting-edge machines will become much cheaper (I mean much much more than the usual decrease of prices) in a few months, when Vista starts shipping.
Also, some of the features of Vista (for example, the support for small LCD screens on laptops that allows you to do some minimal work without booting the o.s.) will possibly start a whole new generation of laptops.

Furthermore, since it's difficult to buy a laptop without windows (I know the options, but it's still difficult), it would probably be nice to have it shipped with a release that is going to last a few years rather than with one that in a few weeks/months will require you to pay in order to update it - even if I only use Ubuntu, as I already said.

What do you think?

lwr
September 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM
Sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind. If you're intending to go for something a bit more high end, then I'd say wait. If you need Windows, you might as well have the latest one, and if your laptop's going to be a good one, then the masses of hard drive space it takes up shouldn't be too much of a problem. The LCD screen idea sound quite cool, and I'm sure there'll be someone with a project to take advantage of that on Linux too. Plus, if the graphics card can handle all the fancy Aero stuff, then XGL/AIGLX should be a breeze if you're that way inclined.

So my advice: be patient and wait. Good luck laptop hunting.

Stone123
September 22nd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Only good thing from vista that i wonder what it's going to look like is new directX. If i wait to buy something than there is 80 % chance that i will never buy it. I would wait and see.

DoctorMO
September 22nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
I'd buy a laptop now, the release of vista will just make the laptops of the time more expensive for a short while the specs are much higher.

Besides, I'd buy one from a Linux vendor and be complicit in copyright infringment for your girlfriend.

charles nicholls
September 22nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
depends on what you do with the puter,
I run Vista RC1 dualbooting with Ubuntu and to be honest I wouldnt pay money for it.
the Aero glass desktops nothing to envy, Compiz XGL blows it away.
security in linux is far better and at the moment hardware support is
far better:p
So if you only use email, internet and open office works for you then stick
to Ubuntu and spend the money saved on yourself

megamania
September 22nd, 2006, 04:24 PM
So if you only use email, internet and open office works for you then stick
to Ubuntu and spend the money saved on yourself

I don't use windows so I don't really look forward to having Vista. And the copyright infrigement suggestion was already on my mind. :-)

The question is if laptop prices will drop more sharply than usual as a consequence of the launch of Vista (which is what I think), or if they will get more expensive or stay unchanged (as somebody suggests here) for the same reason.