PDA

View Full Version : What If 2

Frak
September 21st, 2006, 02:47 AM
If Mac allowed all users of linux to use their OS free, no strings attached, and could work on any computer, like ubuntu, would you switch?

louistan3
September 21st, 2006, 02:54 AM
nope.. i would dual boot.. and play around with mac too.. :D

BWF89
September 21st, 2006, 02:54 AM
If your useing Linux why would you need to use another OS?

Also, how would you prove that you use Linux? Anyone could download and burn an ISO file.

maniacmusician
September 21st, 2006, 02:55 AM
nah, I don't like apple very much.

Besides, i'm satisfied with ubuntu and the direction in which it is heading.

enopepsoo
September 21st, 2006, 03:05 AM
nah, I don't like apple very much.

Besides, i'm satisfied with ubuntu and the direction in which it is heading.

second. I love Ubuntu.

Now if I could just get flash working . . . :rolleyes:

DoctorMO
September 21st, 2006, 03:08 AM
Mac OS X is known for being unseccure, not because of it's kernel (Darwin) but because of it's NextStep Propritory layer and if it becomes more popular expect that section of MacOSX to be attacked.

henriquemaia
September 21st, 2006, 03:23 AM
Free or open source? There's quite a difference.

prizrak
September 21st, 2006, 04:15 AM
If I could install OS X legally, without problems and for free on my machine and it would support all the hardware as well as Windows does I very much would. Generally speaking I would play with any OS I can get my hands on :)

IYY
September 21st, 2006, 04:28 AM
If they open sourced it, I'd use it.

beniwtv
September 21st, 2006, 09:07 AM
No, I wouldn't use it. I must use it on a daily basis in my work and I dislike it. The look, one-button-mouse (WTF?), the interface is pretty ugly to me, no taskbar, unstable, popular linux programs ported don't work as well as in linux, ....

I could make a large list, but I won't continue because this isn't a rant. But certainly, it's much more useful than windowze. Just by having a decent terminal! :rolleyes:

Ramses de Norre
September 21st, 2006, 09:45 AM
I'd certainly dual boot and see how I feel about it, I actually haven't got more than 5 minutes spent on a mac in my life yet.. and I used that five minutes to open up a terminal and ssh into my linux box at home :cool:

So I voted yes but I'd certainly wouldn't leave linux for it ;)

AndyCooll
September 21st, 2006, 12:47 PM
Nope. Never used it in the past and don't feel any urge to use it now.

As an earlier poster said, I'm happy with Linux and the direction it's going.

I might look at it using a VMware image(as I do with the BSD's, ReactOS etc) out of curiosity, but nothing more.

:cool:

3rdalbum
September 21st, 2006, 03:49 PM
I might use it to get access to some OS X programs, but Linux would still be my main operating system. I can't stand the interface, I don't feel safe on it, and I'm not a fan of Apple post-Classic.

Mathias-K
September 21st, 2006, 05:13 PM
If they open sourced it, I'd use it.

Agreed.

aysiu
September 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM
I don't like the way OS X behaves. The interface is pretty but not easy to use for me.

weatherman
September 21st, 2006, 05:44 PM
Nope, can't stand the osx gui.

Frak
September 22nd, 2006, 01:27 AM
How 'bout this, What if they PAID you to use it(doubt it but hey we can all dream).

maniacmusician
September 22nd, 2006, 01:30 AM
i doubt i would anyways. unless it was a considerable amount of money, and I needed it. and then I would give it a 3 GB partition and never use it.

Frak
September 22nd, 2006, 01:33 AM
i doubt i would anyways. unless it was a considerable amount of money, and I needed it. and then I would give it a 3 GB partition and never use it.
Very Amusing!

gruffy-06
October 1st, 2006, 10:20 AM
I will not use free software under propietary licences.

bigken
October 1st, 2006, 10:27 AM
not for me got my hands full with ubuntu which I plan to use for a very long time ;)

dada1958
October 1st, 2006, 11:22 AM
Certainly; only for the fact I could use one machine instead of two. Ubuntu is great and so is the OSS thing but there is a long way to go because applications like InDesign, Freehand, Freeway, Photoshop and SilverFast still don't have serious alternatives :cool:

thesmartace
October 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM
If Apple were randomly giving out copies of Mac OS I guess I would install it... but only if they also gave out random copies of Final Cut Pro as well...

Kateikyoushi
October 1st, 2006, 12:37 PM
I guess I would, I am sure some of my friend would like to jump to it and need help doing so.

wmcbrine
October 2nd, 2006, 11:11 PM
I think there needs to be a distinction drawn between "Would you use it?" and "Would you switch?". I'd use it (I use it now), but I wouldn't switch (Ubuntu Linux is my main OS). And yeah, I'd take Vista for free (as per the other poll), and install it -- but again, it wouldn't displace my Linux.

Only another open source OS could make me consider switching my primary OS. And I've already passed on *BSD...

zAo
October 3rd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Not because of OSX itself, but for Photoshop and Lightroom.

the.dark.lord
October 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM
naw... dual boot it... i love linux :)

skymt
October 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Certainly; only for the fact I could use one machine instead of two. Ubuntu is great and so is the OSS thing but there is a long way to go because applications like InDesign, Freehand, Freeway, Photoshop and SilverFast still don't have serious alternatives :cool:

Freeway isn't a serious alternative. ;)

</htmlsnob>

Seriously, you should pick up a good html book (http://www.amazon.com/World-Fifth-Visual-QuickStart-Guide/dp/0321130073/sr=8-2/qid=1159882428/ref=sr_1_2/002-7852724-4434464?ie=UTF8&s=books) and read up. Freeway is nice and easy, but I'd never trade away the control and great results I get by hand-coding.