PDA

View Full Version : Would You?

Frak
September 21st, 2006, 02:33 AM
Would you install windows if they created an open scource operating system based on linux?
Just thinking.

Would you if it ran both OS's on it from a "genus" invention.

henriquemaia
September 21st, 2006, 02:35 AM
Would I buy an aeroplane if I was rich?

meng
September 21st, 2006, 02:35 AM
A highly hypothetical question. I wouldn't install something I didn't trust, so it would have to review its pants off before I considered switching from an OS I like.

BWF89
September 21st, 2006, 03:20 AM
This poll makes no sense.

If Microsoft made their own Linux based OS why would I install Windows? Wouldn't I be installing their Linux based OS?

Dr. C
September 21st, 2006, 03:35 AM
What the poll actually says is if say Microsoft were to create thier own version of Linux as the sucessor to say Vista or a later version of Microsoft Windows, would you then turn around and install an earlier version of Microsoft Windows say Vista, XP, 2000 etc.

jISh
September 21st, 2006, 03:47 AM
No.

[h2o]
September 21st, 2006, 10:52 AM
This poll makes no sense at all.

More or less the only reason for having Windows is the fact that it runs Windows programs. If MS made their own WindowsLinux it would be Linux and most probably not run Windows programs either.

beercz
September 21st, 2006, 02:33 PM
I would stick with ubuntu and forget windows.

As I can't have 2 choices, I chose 'forget windows' (if only I could, I have to use and support it at the office and for family members - AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!)

djsroknrol
September 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
I've grown not to trust too much comming out of Redmond, so I guess my answer is no....

hkgonra
September 21st, 2006, 02:56 PM
Actually one would hope that if windows made a Linux version it would run old windows programs.

Kateikyoushi
September 21st, 2006, 03:24 PM
I doubt, but it has nothing to do with which kernel their os uses or whether it is open source or not.
Most likely they would use a windows like ui what I dislike.
Would still use an OS what suits me the most currently it is linux and I need a windows system for gaming and girlfriend compatibility. ^^;;

Actually one would hope that if windows made a Linux version it would run old windows programs.

Out of curiosity which old windows softwares do you think they should support ?

Kernel Sanders
September 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
This poll is pretty crap. Its not something that can come to any real conclusion, as, as others have said, it doesnt make sense?

hkgonra
September 21st, 2006, 05:47 PM
Just a stab in the dark but how about starting with the list of things that people want to be able to do now on linux but have to keep windows to run. I am sure if you browsed the forums you couls get a long list in about 20 minutes.

Frak
September 22nd, 2006, 01:09 AM
This poll is pretty crap. Its not something that can come to any real conclusion, as, as others have said, it doesnt make sense?
It's a simple question, would you stick with ubuntu, which served you amazingly over the time you used it, or
would you install the more popular Win/Lin that could possibly run Linux AND Windows apps.
(I Would NEVER install Windows again even if it meant quitting my job, which runs Ubuntu on their Computers, bought from System76, They ROCK!)

Albi
September 22nd, 2006, 01:13 AM
I would take the source code and modify ubuntu to run windows programs

Frak
September 22nd, 2006, 01:15 AM
I would take the source code and modify ubuntu to run windows programs
But, what if they made that illegal, and you can only do it on Win/Lin.

nickheart
September 22nd, 2006, 01:16 AM
I think a better poll would be:

Would you uninstall Windows if MS took over WINE development? (Not so they can destroy it, but enhance it)

Frak
September 22nd, 2006, 01:20 AM
I think a better poll would be:

Would you uninstall Windows if MS took over WINE development? (Not so they can destroy it, but enhance it)
I'm pretty sure they're smarter than that, because you may not see it, but Linux is giving Microsoft a run for their money.

Frak
September 29th, 2006, 03:57 AM
It's really great to hear what the community has to say.
Thanks all.

paulmac
October 28th, 2007, 10:57 PM
If I liked Windows, i would not be reading this thread.

-grubby
October 29th, 2007, 12:31 AM
wouldn't they be the same thing

Bruce M.
October 29th, 2007, 12:40 AM
If I liked Windows, i would not be reading this thread.

I ditto that!

Also, if it comes from Mr. BG and or MicroSomething, I would NOT install it. I wouldn't care if it was pure linux, not after reading about this "trusted computers" stuff that Mr. "640K is enough memory for anyone" is pushing.

It took me years (OK, I'm a slow learner) to get away from that OS. It's a one way street for me.

My $0.02 worth :)

Paul820
October 29th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Keep Ubuntu, there is no way i would install another Microsoft OS after XP. I just don't trust them anymore.