PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it funny how...

pelle.k
September 20th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Isn't it funny how you switch between gnome,kde,xfce every other day. Right now i'm in a gnome "phase" but that can change pretty fast. What's even more funny (or tragic) is how i feel disguisted by how kde handles now, but in a week/month i probably feel the other way around.
Damn these DE:s :)

What i wonder is if you at some point were one of these "lost souls", but have now have found your perfect setup?

Lord Illidan
September 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Isn't it funny how you switch between gnome,kde,xfce every other day. Right now i'm in a gnome "phase" but that can change pretty fast. What's even more funny (or tragic) is how i feel disguisted by how kde handles now, but in a week/month i probably feel the other way around.
Damn these DE:s :)

What i wonder is if you at some point were one of these "lost souls", but have now have found your perfect setup?

Sure... I love switching, that's the fun of Linux...

rowanparker
September 20th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I'm the opposite, I tried to use Xfce and KDE but I always came back to Gnome.

æþeling
September 20th, 2006, 09:48 PM
After trying every DE in the repositories, I decided I prefer Gnome, so I use that on my dekstop. For my 7 years old laptop, I use IceWM.

bruce89
September 20th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Isn't it funny how you switch between gnome,kde,xfce every other day.

No, I use GNOME and almost always have.

moore.bryan
September 20th, 2006, 10:53 PM
i ran the gamut until i discovered openbox...

user1397
September 20th, 2006, 10:58 PM
i have gnome, kde, xfce, xgl, and fluxbox installed.

but i basically ony use gnome. :cool:

raublekick
September 20th, 2006, 11:03 PM
i've been using KDE (straight Kubuntu) for the past month. I never really like KDE before until I installed Kubuntu by itself and forced myself to use it. I've been getting an itch to install ubuntu-desktop and maybe xubuntu-desktop lately. I am downloading the new Dreamlinux ISO as well to give that a try.

With Linux, I can never settle, but with Windows XP I never really get sick of the interface. It's not because I like it so much (because I don't), but the lack of choice really makes me indifferent to it.

Brunellus
September 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I move between KDE, GNOME, XFCE, and fluxbox. But 90 percent of my linux time is GNOME.

skymt
September 20th, 2006, 11:10 PM
The really funny thing is that each time, I feel like I've found the perfect DE for me. Then I switch again within a month. *shrug*

raublekick
September 20th, 2006, 11:20 PM
what measures do you guys use to manage several DMs? i hate it when i install Gnome/KDE/XFCE/OpenBox/etc, and menus get cluttered, GDM (or KDM) gets cluttered (and in the case of my last install with all of the aforementioned DMs, causes weird things to happen like weird colors on the login screen after logout).

that is why i am more inclined just to stick with Kubuntu for the time being, i can use GTK/Gnome apps easily if i want (and i do).

pelle.k
September 20th, 2006, 11:53 PM
i ran the gamut until i discovered openbox...
Simplicity at it's simplest. I'ts like buddhism I guess. (sidenote; i told my father that, if I would chose a religion, it would probably be buddhism. It's not really a religion by the way. He got angry because I wanted to be a terrorist, LOL.. first of all, buddhist monks doesn't even kill flies, and second - those "terrorists" aren't buddhists, but are islamic extremists, called talibans. haha)

The really funny thing is that each time, I feel like I've found the perfect DE for me. Then I switch again within a month. *shrug*
You hit it! This is _exactly_ what i feel! LOL

what measures do you guys use to manage several DMs? i hate it when i install Gnome/KDE/XFCE/OpenBox/etc, and menus get cluttered, GDM (or KDM) gets cluttered (and in the case of my last install with all of the aforementioned DMs, causes weird things to happen like weird colors on the login screen after logout).

that is why i am more inclined just to stick with Kubuntu for the time being, i can use GTK/Gnome apps easily if i want (and i do).
Separate installations. I really hate having a full gnome desktop in my KDE menu.

croak77
September 21st, 2006, 12:01 AM
Openbox is for losers. Real men use wmii ;)

zaflaucich
September 21st, 2006, 12:42 AM
Openbox is for losers. Real men use wmiiWhat about evilwm?

GameManK
September 21st, 2006, 04:16 AM
<snipped out the rest of my post as to not start a stupid kde/gnome argument>
I'm not a lost soul, I am sticking with KDE, even though I am constantly tempted to try other stuff.

IYY
September 21st, 2006, 04:31 AM
I already understand I don't like KDE and XFCE, but I can never decide between Gnome and IceWM. They both look equally good when properly themed, but IceWM is easier to use without a mouse and is faster, whereas gnome has a more customizable panel.

I know I can use Gnome's panel with IceWM, but it just doesn't feel right.

Kindred
September 21st, 2006, 06:54 AM
I used to switch quite often, mostly from gnome to xfce - until I found openbox. I have a minimal xfce also installed to try out AIGLX at the moment though.. I could live with it but it's no openbox.

Ramses de Norre
September 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM
I have gnome, kde, compiz and fluxbox installed and I spent 99.9% of my time in fluxbox.
In fact I never started kde yet and I only have it because of some kde apps I really like (amarok, kmix, k3b, k9copy, kcontrol (to configure them) ...).

Gnome is my second choice and compiz is pretty broken for the moment.

graabein
September 21st, 2006, 10:00 AM
I use GNOME on my desktop PC and sometimes Window Maker. I've got GNOME and Openbox on my old machine I have at my parents house. I have an old and busted laptop I seldom use that I run with Openbox. I tried the Enlightenment live-CD and that was pretty cool.

So I switch around a bit but most of the time it's ye old GNOME for me. Especially now that I finally got XGL/Compiz to work! Going to play around with that in the next few weeks.

tigerpants
September 21st, 2006, 11:06 AM
People say KDE is very Windows like - yeah, buggy and bloated :D Gnome is much cleaner and slimline. For day to day use, I use Fluxbox, and gdesklets.
Once you get used to tabbed windows and shade, its hard to go back to something like KDE and Gnome. Having said that, I do switch between gnome and flux, but 90% of time is spent in flux.

I tried using enlightenment, but it just made me angry :o

fuscia
September 21st, 2006, 12:15 PM
Openbox is for losers. Real men use wmii ;)

gnome is wet wipes

kde is charmin

xfce is scott

openbox is barracks issue

wmii is a handful of leaves

AndyCooll
September 21st, 2006, 12:52 PM
Isn't it funny how you switch between gnome,kde,xfce every other day.

Nope, because I don't change. I've always used GNOME and am perfectly happy doing so.

As for perfect setup, yes I have that (for today!). I might tinker with this, but have never felt the desire to try another desktop.

moore.bryan
September 21st, 2006, 08:59 PM
gnome is wet wipes

kde is charmin

xfce is scott

that's funny as [insert clever pun here]... but true.:rolleyes:

rocknrolf77
September 22nd, 2006, 12:11 AM
Got gnome kde fluxbox enligtenment windowmaker xfce and xfce 4.4. I like gnome the most but the x-server restarts all the time when loggin in. It only happens in gnome, can't get to understand why. Maybe the ati driver? But why just gnome? Looking forward to saving up to a nvidia card. Getting tired of all the ati issues now. Anyone else who have encountered this problem? :)

d3v1ant_0n3
September 22nd, 2006, 01:31 AM
I started with gnome,found it cold. Switched to KDE. Liked it. Flirted with XFCE, didn't play long. Installed Fluxbox. got confused. Removed it. Went back to KDE. Set it up JUST how I liked it. Borked my HDD. Installed ubuntu with Gnome, and stuck with it. it works. I've got it pretty. I like it. I'll probably have KDE installed within the hour now.

skymt
September 22nd, 2006, 02:19 AM
gnome is wet wipes

kde is charmin

xfce is scott

Then what's 9wm? Sandpaper?

fuscia
September 22nd, 2006, 02:28 AM
Then what's 9wm? Sandpaper?

it's just leaving it in your pants. not that there's anything wrong with that...

pelle.k
September 22nd, 2006, 03:31 AM
I started with gnome,found it cold. Switched to KDE. Liked it. Flirted with XFCE, didn't play long. Installed Fluxbox. got confused. Removed it. Went back to KDE. Set it up JUST how I liked it. Borked my HDD. Installed ubuntu with Gnome, and stuck with it. it works. I've got it pretty. I like it. I'll probably have KDE installed within the hour now.
dat's what i'm talking about! :D
Today, when I opened up KDE, it hurt my eyes! I tried changeing the color scheme to something less _blinding_ than default. Then it got ugly instead. So i booted gnome instead.
It's strange that you can get oversensetive just like that. But on the other hand, i haven't been feeling 100% today either.