PDA

View Full Version : How do you make something under the GPL?

user1397
September 20th, 2006, 03:24 AM
im just wondering as to how you actually copy-left something, so that it has the GPL or any other loose license.

Do you just write it on the bottom of page, and say this is GPL'ed cause I said so, or do you have to undergo some more formal process? (like emailing RMS, haha)

just curious cause i've never copyrighted or copylefted anything.

banjobacon
September 20th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Copyrighting something requires no work. Everything original you've ever written, every photograph you've taken, etc. is copyrighted.

From gnu.org:

Whichever license you plan to use, the process involves adding two elements to each source file of your program: a copyright notice (such as "Copyright 1999 Linda Jones"), and a statement of copying permission, saying that the program is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (or the Lesser GPL).

user1397
September 20th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Copyrighting something requires no work. Everything original you've ever written, every photograph you've taken, etc. is copyrighted.

From gnu.org:
oh thats quite simple. and awesome. so what is the main difference between the GPL and the Creative Commons License? (sorry, dont really hav time to look these up, so dont say RTFM or google it, cause u should only respond if u feel like it.)

croak77
September 20th, 2006, 03:55 AM
try yahoo ;)

SoundMachine
September 20th, 2006, 05:20 AM
im just wondering as to how you actually copy-left something, so that it has the GPL or any other loose license.

Do you just write it on the bottom of page, and say this is GPL'ed cause I said so, or do you have to undergo some more formal process? (like emailing RMS, haha)

just curious cause i've never copyrighted or copylefted anything.

I'd suggest you use BSD licence, all you need to know is your name and BSD licence, type that and you're done.

GPL and the versions is a jungle of idiocy.

SoundMachine
September 20th, 2006, 05:26 AM
oh thats quite simple. and awesome. so what is the main difference between the GPL and the Creative Commons License? (sorry, dont really hav time to look these up, so dont say RTFM or google it, cause u should only respond if u feel like it.)

Christ, i feel dumber for having read this post.

y dont u check out g00gle n00b.

henriquemaia
September 20th, 2006, 05:26 AM
try yahoo ;)

loooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!
Nice catch!

Rhapsody
September 20th, 2006, 02:21 PM
oh thats quite simple. and awesome. so what is the main difference between the GPL and the Creative Commons License?
For a start, the GPL is most commonly used for computer programs while Creative Commons licenses are used for other creative works (like text, pictures, music, and videos).

DoctorMO
September 20th, 2006, 02:59 PM
SoundMachine let us recap on some great BSD licenced projects that have been forced to go GPL because of abuse: WineX? X11 > xOrg?

No thanks, it just doesn't protect the project well enough. at least the GPL says that you can't just steal the works and make it private.

Brunellus
September 20th, 2006, 03:07 PM

y dont u check out g00gle n00b.
Let's keep the infantile flaming off these forums, please. This should be the only thing I need to say about the tone of this thread.

Releasing software under a given license is the right and prerogative of the author. If you want to GPL something...just do it.

The point about understanding the full implications of your license is something I can't emphasize enough. One project I know of originally released under the GPL; when the author/maintainer wanted to change his licensing terms to a more restrictive license, he was unable to--because of the provisions of the license under which he originally released his software.

Think very carefully through the implications of each license, and choose the one you think fits your goals best. Know that this user community tends to favor GPL and other strong copyleft licenses, though.

user1397
September 20th, 2006, 09:29 PM

y dont u check out g00gle n00b.wow soundmachine, i can't believe you have stooped this low. sorry brunellus, close the thread if you want to, cause its gonna get uglier from here on.

unless you're just joking, soundmachine, for some stupid *** reason, i really dont get why you even bothered to post here. maybe u cant read staright or somethin, but i believe i said the exaCT words: sorry, dont really hav time to look these up, so dont say RTFM or google it, cause u should only respond if u feel like it.

so unless you can't comprehend that, and think you're better than everybody else cause you think that knowing the different licenses should be as common as your ABC's, then i dont need to take this **** from u. you'll be the first person added to my ignore list.

croak77
September 20th, 2006, 09:35 PM
erik1397, lighten up man. In the time it took you to post that, you easily good have searched Wikipedia or google and found your answer.

user1397
September 20th, 2006, 09:48 PM
erik1397, lighten up man. In the time it took you to post that, you easily good have searched Wikipedia or google and found your answer.okay but i didnt want to read both licenses in their entirety, and then compare them. i just wanted someone nice here on the forums to sum up the difference in like 2 sentences or whatever. its not like im forcing anyone to reply to me. if you want to and you have the time then do it. if you dont have the time, then dont. very simple concept. but, since soundmachine had to go and be a *****, i guess i'll just go and do it myself, even tho i cant afford the time to.

forrestcupp
September 21st, 2006, 08:11 PM
erik1397, lighten up man. In the time it took you to post that, you easily good have searched Wikipedia or google and found your answer.

So it only takes two minutes for someone who doesn't understand licensing to study two different kinds of licenses, try to understand all of the rules they have, sort out their differences, and decide which one is best? Maybe what erik1397 wants is for someone with experience to try to explain what all of this means. It's not quite as easy to figure out as Mother Goose nursery rhymes. Besides, unless they have changed the forum rules, you're not supposed to attack people with "why don't you google it?" and such things.

Brunellus was right about licensing, though. Understand what you're doing before you do it, because you could be putting restrictions on yourself that you may not want later.

user1397
September 21st, 2006, 08:47 PM
So it only takes two minutes for someone who doesn't understand licensing to study two different kinds of licenses, try to understand all of the rules they have, sort out their differences, and decide which one is best? Maybe what erik1397 wants is for someone with experience to try to explain what all of this means. It's not quite as easy to figure out as Mother Goose nursery rhymes. Besides, unless they have changed the forum rules, you're not supposed to attack people with "why don't you google it?" and such things.

Brunellus was right about licensing, though. Understand what you're doing before you do it, because you could be putting restrictions on yourself that you may not want later.Thank you! At least someone understands my point of view here!

croak77
September 21st, 2006, 08:52 PM
Lighten up forestcupp. I'm not a mind reader. If eric1397 has a specific question about a license that I can answer, I will. I have know idea what kind of project eric1397 is working on, what his views on licensing are, etc. Why should I take the time if he is not willing to. If you want to answer his question, then go ahead. I don't see why he can't do a simple search. He certainly has the time to post over 1400 time here.

Brunellus
September 21st, 2006, 09:00 PM
Lighten up forestcupp. I'm not a mind reader. If eric1397 has a specific question about a license that I can answer, I will. I have know idea what kind of project eric1397 is working on, what his views on licensing are, etc. Why should I take the time if he is not willing to. If you want to answer his question, then go ahead. I don't see why he can't do a simple search. He certainly has the time to post over 1400 time here.
SUMMARY:

1) GPL is a strong copyleft license--code licensed under the GPL is essentially irrevocable. It's GPL forever.

2) Think through the implications of your chosen license.

3) This community favors strong-copyleft licenses. Other user/developer communities may feel differently. Consider that.

Having laid out all of this, I'm closing this thread. If the various combatants want to duke it out, take it outside the ubuntuforums.