PDA

View Full Version : tabbed email client!

23meg
April 12th, 2005, 01:14 AM
being a convert from Opera for windows who's used its excellent internal M2 mail client ever since it's been out, i was greatly disappointed to find out that the first three email clients i tried (perhaps the three most popular ones on Gnome), namely Evolution, Thunderbird and Balsa lack a tabbed interface where one can open multiple incoming messages in different tabs and compose in a tab as well, rather than in a popup window.

this is how email is handled in M2, and it makes so much sense! especially in Thunderbird, whose brother Firefox has popularized tabbed browsing (which Opera had invented years ago) it's so obvious that this is the way to go! i've seen lots of people blogging and writing on forums requesting a tabbed Thunderbird but i have yet to see an implementation.

so my request is: can you recommend me an email client that works with tabs the way i mentioned above? i know that Balsa has tabs, but it uses them just to manage different mailboxes, not individual messages and composition windows. i know that i can use Opera for Linux, but i'm sure many of you know it's a total nightmare under Gnome, and i fancy a change as well ;)

23meg
April 20th, 2005, 11:38 AM
i've googled long and hard... there's no such thing, period. i can't believe it!

i'm going back to the opera for linux nightmare. the static qt build, the ugly gui fonts...

TravisNewman
April 20th, 2005, 02:05 PM
you could use Eudora in Wine. I know that it has tabs. But Opera would be better methinks.

23meg
April 20th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Does it? It didn't when i left it off in my windows times :) WINE'ing into such frequently used software as email software probably isn't a good idea though.

tread
May 30th, 2005, 07:55 PM
For opera and gnome users, I created a thread on how to pretty up opera for gnome .. check out the notes and the screenhot here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35156)

23meg
December 8th, 2005, 06:00 PM
So, someone finally made a tabbed Thunderbird (http://www.melez.com/mykzilla/).

As I understand, only message browsing works with tabs at the moment, not composition. Anyway, too late for me; I can't give up the features and integration of Evolution.

Stormy Eyes
December 8th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Nice, but I'll stick with Sylpheed.