PDA

View Full Version : memory/RAM for forum servers

wpshooter
September 19th, 2006, 08:24 PM
There has been a note at the forum home page (for several weeks now, it seems) regarding a need for more memory to be provided by Canonical for the forum server(s).

My question is what kind of RAM is it that they need and how much could the cost of this RAM be and where is it that they are trying to obtain it from, that it is taking several weeks to receive and install ?

I am fairly sure that I could purchase memory for about any system made and have it to a site and installed either overnight or at least in 2 to 3 days.

Thanks.

LotsOfPhil
September 19th, 2006, 09:04 PM
It seems to me like they asked Canonical for more RAM and Canonical said "Let me see what I can do. I'll get back to you." I am sure that if someone gave them $5k for RAM they would get it done overnight, like you say.

hkgonra
September 20th, 2006, 10:15 PM
$5k for ram ?!
What do they need 35 1gb sticks ?!

LotsOfPhil
September 20th, 2006, 11:37 PM
The server that I use has 80 GB of RAM. Also, you are paying too much for a 1 GB stick, unless you are skimming off the top of this hypothetical account.

hkgonra
September 21st, 2006, 01:59 AM
The server that I use has 80 GB of RAM. Also, you are paying too much for a 1 GB stick, unless you are skimming off the top of this hypothetical account.

Most servers require ECC, I just checked the Crucial site and that it what it was priced. I am sure you could shop it and get better but it is a good rough figure.

sanmadjack
September 27th, 2006, 04:54 AM
The Ubuntu 6.06 server in my closet runs on about 312 MB. Runs Apache2 24/7 and provides a nice lag-free dedicated server for my buddies and I for Half-Life (and derivative mods) and Neverwinter Nights. Never seemed sluggish to me, although it's hardly in a public consumption environment. If you're just lookin for something small like mine, I'd say half a gig, maybe a gig (I'd have a gig if I had more money available). For a public one 4GB seems to be the minimum I've seen around.