PDA

View Full Version : University Students - Note taking software

lokist
September 19th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I am in my first year of university and I managed to get ubuntu working on my laptop... It works pretty good actually.

I am wondering if there are any programs out there that would help keep notes organized... or a note-taking program... At the moment I am using the one that comes with Office 2003 on my Windows partition.

Any ideas?

Rashid584
September 19th, 2006, 08:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_notetaking_software

-Rashid

GaneAir
November 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Note taking software - good for us :)

Sef
November 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Moved to ABT.

Sir Jasper
November 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Hi,

Keynote 1.6.5 is a very powerful Windows Outliner which also seems perfectly behaved using Wine in Ubuntu (Xubuntu in my case).

It is old, but not dated and rich in features which seem ideal for your Uni notes.

If you google and download it (to Windows or Ubuntu ) you can form a quick initial opinion by browsing the tips and the menu/icons.

If you install Wine-Doors as well as Wine you can easily access URLs and if the inbuilt spell checker is not available to you could try TinySpell. It also includes the excellent WordWeb.

I would be interested to know what you decide and how you get on.

My regards

With highlights and text colours and sizes, multiple indents (chapterisation) bullets, Arabic or Roman numbering, copy and paste, drag and drop and backup options ....+ + +

Added:
Additionally, I have now tried Keynote and TinySpell on a USB stick.

itsdaveperdue
December 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evernote is great. The 3.1 version works under Wine. You can access your notes through the web, on an iPhone, or install Evernote on another windows machine. It all syncs online and all devices sync together.

www.evernote.com

The new 3.5 beta version doesn't work under wine (because of .net 3.5), so make sure to get the 3.1 version.

jlhaslip
December 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM
try Baskets from the repository

Mr.Kappa
January 5th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Since my teachers pubblish pdf documents for every lesson, I'm trying to find something that has the basic features of evince (for grabbing text and images) and xournal (for underlying and adding lines of text).

Is there anything like this around???

Methuselah
January 5th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Since my teachers pubblish pdf documents for every lesson, I'm trying to find something that has the basic features of evince (for grabbing text and images) and xournal (for underlying and adding lines of text).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_notetaking_software

If you want to try something, search for it in the Ubuntu Software Centre (Applications->Ubuntu Software Centre) and install.

adelphos
January 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM
If you are using KDE, or don't mind using a KDE app with GNOME, "BasKet" probably comes closest to the functionality of MS OneNote.

J V
January 5th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Tomboy notes are already installed, I stick an applet on my panel...

adelphos
January 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Tomboy notes are already installed, I stick an applet on my panel...

Tomboy is great for taking notes while reading, or otherwise categorizing brief reminders and snippets. However, it is not a very good solution for taking thorough lecture notes, in my opinion. OneNote (and BasKet) allows one to rapidly take notes on a large page, and then easily (quickly) drag and drop the various text elements in order to re-organize or add in details. They also allow the easy addition of charts, illustrations, attachments, etc.

bilalakhtar
January 5th, 2010, 01:51 PM
You can use Tomboy, which is preinstalled in Ubuntu.
If you want more features, try zim at http://zim-wiki.org/

Mr.Kappa
January 5th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Basket is really good but I cannot use it to work with pdf files.

btw thanks for the quick replies guys :)

Mr.Kappa
January 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I just saw Zim... I think I'm in love :P
Now I'll check if I can use pdf files!

Thanks Bilalakhtar!!

Methuselah
January 5th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I just saw Zim... I think I'm in love :P
Now I'll check if I can use pdf files!

Thanks Bilalakhtar!!

I second that!
Seems like justcthe thing I can use to capture ideas when I'm brainstorming.

itsdaveperdue
January 5th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Evernote Premium will index the PDF's for you so you can do a full-text search. I don't have premium, but from what I understand it works well. But...it's $5 a month

http://www.evernote.com/about/premium/

L4U
January 5th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I recently started using ScrapBook (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/427) firefox addon for collecting stuff off the net and it rocks! 3,279,672 downloads can't be wrong! ;)

I love Tomboy Notes too.

owenlinx
February 6th, 2010, 04:13 AM
http://www.google.com/notebook/

works great.

egalvan
February 6th, 2010, 05:15 AM
it rocks! 3,279,672 downloads can't be wrong! ;)

I wonder how many of those 3+ million had the conviciton to send in a buck or two?

see my sig

FerretDefunct
February 6th, 2010, 06:05 AM
I'm the same boat, I fell in love with Microsoft's OneNote and have been looking for something with same functionality and freedom for taking notes. The best thing I've found so far is Zoho. It's a collection of office web apps, one being the Notebook. I'm not sure what it offers, if anything, in the way of PDF support though. It does, however, allow you to add various types of multimedia into the notes as well. You can find it at http://www.zoho.com/

astrobob.tk
March 8th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Hey guys. I am another university student. I wonder how efficient it would be relative to regular paper note taking? Moreover, does any of the applications u listed include mathematical abilities (like equation writing) ?

btw I am physics student, so i will use equations very regularly.

Mr.Kappa
May 26th, 2010, 10:52 PM
There's nothing really usefull out there :(...maybe windows onenote or evernote but I cannot try them

eli_12345
September 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Might be a little late, but try Xournal. Its the best note-taking and pdf-annotation software i've found so far for Linux systems. For my purpose (note taking during lectures and annotations on pdf lecture slides) its all i need. I even prefer it even to more sophisticated software like OneNote because its free, available for Linux and not overloaded with tons of crappy features i would never use (like pasting video or sound-files into my notes). Theres only one little flaw: it has no OCR and searching inside a note is not possible (even exported pdfs seem to ignore type-tool annotations).

astrobob.tk
May 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I am in my first year of university and I managed to get ubuntu working on my laptop... It works pretty good actually.

I am wondering if there are any programs out there that would help keep notes organized... or a note-taking program... At the moment I am using the one that comes with Office 2003 on my Windows partition.

Any ideas?

Tomboy is great for taking notes while reading, or otherwise categorizing brief reminders and snippets. However, it is not a very good solution for taking thorough lecture notes, in my opinion. OneNote (and BasKet) allows one to rapidly take notes on a large page, and then easily (quickly) drag and drop the various text elements in order to re-organize or add in details. They also allow the easy addition of charts, illustrations, attachments, etc.

Hey guys. I am another university student. I wonder how efficient it would be relative to regular paper note taking? Moreover, does any of the applications u listed include mathematical abilities (like equation writing) ?

btw I am physics student, so i will use equations very regularly.

After this post I found out about LyX. It is a LaTeX-frontend & I've been using it for every document ever since. I rarely use OOo or LibreOffice.

If you haven't tried it yet I suggest you do.

oldos2er
May 13th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Old thread closed.