PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a laptop

Sushi
September 18th, 2006, 11:52 AM
There has propably been previous threads asking for suggestions, but instead of bumbing those, or hijacking them, I'll just make a new one :).

I'm in the market for a laptop. In a previous post (which was not specificly about laptops) I mentioned that I might get a MacBook Pro, but I was "suggested" to buy something else instead. I looked around, and it seems that MBP IS quite a good value, all things considered. And I also noticed that Dell is crud, and not competetive at all. But still, I'm open for suggestions.

These are the considerations I have for the machine:

- It will be a desktop-replacement, so ultimate mobility is not needed

- I want good screen-resolution. 1440 x 900 is the absolute minimium

- Of course, the system must work with Linux ;).

- I want a decent vid-card, and not some integrated crud

- Intel Core Duo please. Core 2 Duo is OK as well ;).

My original plan was to get a 17" MBP, and those have prices of around 2500+ bucks. I would prefer something cheaper, but that is the absolute top-limit I'm willing to reach.

As to the MBP.... It fulfills all those requirements, in addition of being quite mobile (which is a Good Thing, even though it's not a requirement), and having all kinds of "nice things to have" (uncluttered, all-aluminium construction, backlit keyboard, slot-loading optical drive.). But like I said, I'm open for suggestions.

On with the suggestions!

Sushi
September 18th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I actually found two interesting contenders, both by HP: HP nc8430 and HP nx9420. Both are clearly under 2ke, both have great screen-resolution (8430 is a 15", 9420 is 17"), both have Ati x1600 and 1GB of RAM. The HD could be a bit bigger though (80GB).

Sushi
September 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM
A third contender: I found a store that sells a "whitebox"-laptop based around Compal HEL80-platform. I specced the machine with 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB or DDR2-RAM, 120GB HD, Geforce 7600 Go 256MB, 1680x1050 screen and Bluetooth, and it came up to 1723e. That's pretty darn reasonable! Of course, being a whitebox-machine it might not be as refined as name-brand machines are, but still...

Review of HEL80 is available here (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3060&review=Compal)

mips
September 18th, 2006, 03:22 PM
It's really annoying when people don't complete their profile information.

You are asking for recommendations under 2000bucks. What is bucks ??? euros, dollars, pounds etc. Only later on does one kinda discover that it might be euros as you have an 'e' after the value.

We still don't know what country you live in. This helps in knowing what is available in that country and the price of the item. The same item is not priced at the same euro value across the EU, it varies.

But then again maybe you just want to answer your own question :D

Sushi
September 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM
You are asking for recommendations under 2000bucks. What is bucks ???

Basically either dollars or euros. Usually prices of hardware is 1:1 in both sides of the Atlantic, which does mean that Europeans pay a bit more since euro is worth more. And generally speaking "bucks" usually refers to dollars.

But hey, thanks for your help.

edm1
September 18th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I'd go for an ipw2200 wireless card, will work without any fuss.

mips
September 18th, 2006, 04:04 PM
And generally speaking "bucks" usually refers to dollars.

But hey, thanks for your help.

Don't generalise, the term bucks even get used over here and it does not refer to dollars.

Only a pleasure :)

aysiu
September 18th, 2006, 04:13 PM
How about a System76 laptop? Several forum members have gotten them and seemed pleased with the results. They're guaranteed to work with Ubuntu.

http://www.system76.com

mips
September 18th, 2006, 06:43 PM
How about a System76 laptop? Several forum members have gotten them and seemed pleased with the results. They're guaranteed to work with Ubuntu.

http://www.system76.com

Why do people keep on recommending System76 as they are WAY overpriced. Just go and buy the equivalent ASUS and save yourself US$300 !

"There's a sucker born every minute...and two to take 'em." - Joseph Bessimer

aysiu
September 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Because they're not way overpriced, especially if you look at the amount of money the OP is already willing to pay, they test everything for you, so you're 100% sure everything will work, not 95% sure. And they offer support.

And you're supporting preinstalled Linux laptops, which is a good thing.

And people have actually seemed happy with their System 76 purchases.

mips
September 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Because they're not way overpriced, especially if you look at the amount of money the OP is already willing to pay, they test everything for you, so you're 100% sure everything will work, not 95% sure. And they offer support.

And you're supporting preinstalled Linux laptops, which is a good thing.

And people have actually seemed happy with their System 76 purchases.

US$300 difference for a rebranded Asus is a lot of money in my book. If you buy the same Asus model then you are gaurenteed the same 100% compatibility as the chipset stays the same, only ram/hd/dvd/cd/wifi changes and of these only wifi is an issue which is easily solved if you pick right. With the additional $300 you can load the Asus with more ram, bigger/faster hd & dvd writer.

I'm sorry your logic makes no sense to me as it seems you are willing to throw $300 down the toilet. Why not rather buy the exact same model Asus System76 uses and install Ubuntu yourself.

If you do a search here you would also find that they are not exactly 100% perfect as some individuals had 'small' issues but that is to be expected from most notebooks.

Just because you are willing to pay X amount does not mean you should waste it on something you could get for a better price. Some people obviously have money to waste, good for them.

aysiu
September 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM
When people start posting more of their experiences (that everything worked) with Asus white laptops with appropriate links, then I might consider recommending those in addition to System76, but I haven't really seen a lot of those--sorry.

And I do believe in supporting Linux preloaded, which is another reason I recommend them. I have noticed one person had a small issue, but it got resolved, and System76 has its own support subforum on the Ubuntu Forums, which I also think is a good thing.

Where's ASUS's Ubuntu support forum?

Sushi
September 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I looked at system76, but I don't think they ship scandinavian-specced laptops ;). Besides, the price is a bit high. I would like to support Linux-laptops, I really would. But basic economics do play a part here. For $1799 I could get a system76 with

1.76GHz Pentium-M
512MB DDR2-RAM
40GB HD
1440x900 screen
Ati Radeon x700 128MB

Or, I could get this for same amount of money:

2GHz Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA 7600Go 256MB
120GB HD
2GB DDR2-RAM
1680x1050 screen

Granted, the system76-machine does have better looks, but...

I REALLY would like to get an "Ubuntu-laptop", but I am concerned as to what I get with my money. But, I will keep my eye on system76

EDIT: I just double.checked. They do have better priced laptops as well, so I was a but hasty with my opinion. I have to take another look at them tomorrow

mips
September 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
When people start posting more of their experiences (that everything worked) with Asus white laptops with appropriate links, then I might consider recommending those in addition to System76, but I haven't really seen a lot of those--sorry.

Ok let me try and explain this a bit better. Asus makes several models of white laptops. System76 takes a few of these models and rebrand them selling them at just about baseline spec. Why on earth would the Asus not have the same compatibility as the System76 stickered version of the Asus. it is the same thing. System76 does NOT change the MB or anyhting like that. the only options they do have to change is CPU, Ram, HD, DVD/CD writer & Wireless card. Of these only the wireless could be an issue.

If I had the money right now I would buy one and prove it to you by sending it to you so you can decide for yourself. You would come to the conclusion that it is exactly the same product.

And I do believe in supporting Linux preloaded, which is another reason I recommend them. I have noticed one person had a small issue, but it got resolved, and System76 has its own support subforum on the Ubuntu Forums, which I also think is a good thing.

Not when the preloading costs you US$300. It's not even that expensive to preload windoze on a laptop.

Where's ASUS's Ubuntu support forum?

They don't have one. Neither does Lenovo, HP, Dell. But that does not make them bad notebooks (well maybe Dell) and it does not mean Linux does not work on them. It is widely known that Thinkpads have the best support resources and compatibility when it comes to Linux, so just because they don't have a suuport forum here does not mean they are of lesser quality than System76.

To each their own, it's your money. Buy what gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

EDIT:

Just to add, lots of dealers dont even sell some of the Asus models that S76 stock as they are EOL as far as i can tell. The 17" bonobo they sell does not even offer any Core Due CPU's ?

The 17" Bono is based on the Asus A7 if you wan't to shop around on that. http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=70&l3=0&model=1045&modelmenu=1

Sushi, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just dont want to see you wasting money.

aysiu
September 18th, 2006, 09:25 PM
If it'll make you feel better, in the future I'll recommend System76 and also mention that they are essentially ASUS laptops and if you can get the equivalent white ASUS laptop, it's very likely it'll work just the same.

Maybe I'm just a dumb non-savvy user, but I really like preinstallation. I like having support and knowing things will work and that there's someone to hold accountable if they don't.

mips
September 18th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Maybe I'm just a dumb non-savvy user, but I really like preinstallation. I like having support and knowing things will work and that there's someone to hold accountable if they don't.

Like I said, to each their own. If pre-installed is a big thing for you then go for it. People should however know exactly what they are buying so they can do cost comparisons.

No, you are not dumb. Never ever call yourself dumb or think of yourself in a negative way, it's not a good thing to do.

PS. I still want to know all the things you did to clean up your kde desktop as per the picture you once posted. I'll PM you at some stage if that is ok.

aysiu
September 18th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I am dumb when it comes to certain things. I don't mean it as an insult to myself--I'm just being honest about it. I'm smart in some ways, dumb in others. Yes, I probably would end up paying an extra $300... for "nothing" just because I like preinstallation, support, and "guarantees."

By the way, if you can track down that KDE screenshot I posted, I'd be glad to tell you what I did. I have to say, I'm not a big fan of Kubuntu. When I do use KDE these days, I always start with kde-core, not kubuntu-desktop.