PDA

View Full Version : Question: Who switched from mac to Ubuntu?

applecookie
September 18th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Hi there.

I'd like to ask, if there are some of you, who changed from a mac (and OS X) to Ubuntu (or Kubuntu). I don't mean, if you use Ubuntu as a secondary system on your computer, but how use only Ubuntu on a mac or switched completely from mac to pc with (K)Ubuntu?

Regards

Frank

cosborn72
September 18th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I switched about a year ago. I had been a MacAddict for 16 years, but had become increasingly frustrated with Apple's failure to promote MacOS as anything other than a perk for their over-priced hardware. Their big announcement that WinXP could run on their new computers (while quietly pointing out that OSX would never run on anything but apple hardware) was the last straw for me.

Sorry for the rant.....

Anyway, I run Kubuntu PPC on my G4 Quicksilver Tower, and plan on buying a PC for my next computer. I do, admittedly, have OSX installed on one of my partitions, primarily because of the lack of a good Flash player in the linux PPC world.

Orbatos
September 18th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I did, but honestly I'd never cared for OSX to begin with and so it was never my primary system, just something I had to deal with every so often.

jrodman
September 18th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I switched about a year ago. I had been a MacAddict for 16 years, but had become increasingly frustrated with Apple's failure to promote MacOS as anything other than a perk for their over-priced hardware. Their big announcement that WinXP could run on their new computers (while quietly pointing out that OSX would never run on anything but apple hardware) was the last straw for me.

Sorry for the rant.....

Anyway, I run Kubuntu PPC on my G4 Quicksilver Tower, and plan on buying a PC for my next computer. I do, admittedly, have OSX installed on one of my partitions, primarily because of the lack of a good Flash player in the linux PPC world.

I'm a longtime x86-user who switched from DOS to win95 to Linux all around 1995. My next computer is probably going to be a Mac mini, still running Linux. I'm curious why you plan to switch to non-Apple hardware to run Linux. Annoyed with Apple so why buy their kit? Don't like the options they have on the market? Just wondering.

So I'm kind of the opposite of the question: I'm switching from PC to Mac to run linux. The mac mini is just quieter (by a lot) than any mass-market PC options.

applecookie
September 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
So I'm kind of the opposite of the question: I'm switching from PC to Mac to run linux. The mac mini is just quieter (by a lot) than any mass-market PC options.

That's a very special kind, I think. Most of the mac users are so "in love with os x", that they would start a flamewar, if they know, that someone only buys a mac for using linux.

I'm from germany. And I am a mac user, but since I started to use Ubuntu on my little thinkpad, I use for work, I had the idea to start using it at home too.
Problem is, I have an "old" mac mini with G4 PPC. On intel macs using linux may be fun, but on my G4 I only brought the breezy badger to work. Dapper won't do it with my bluetooth hardware...

So I think about buying a pc for home for ubuntu. And cause of this, I like to know, if I am alone with my kind of idea or if there are others...?!

cosborn72
September 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I'm a longtime x86-user who switched from DOS to win95 to Linux all around 1995. My next computer is probably going to be a Mac mini, still running Linux. I'm curious why you plan to switch to non-Apple hardware to run Linux. Annoyed with Apple so why buy their kit? Don't like the options they have on the market? Just wondering.

I use a PPC version of Kubuntu on my mac, but honestly, I have not enjoyed the PPC version of Linux. I've tried Yellow Dog, Fedora, SUSE, Debian and Kubuntu.

It isn't horrible, but it is a little slower than the I386 counterpart and there is no decent Flash plugin available.

I know nothing about running Linux on a intel-equiped mac. I suspect it is very different.