PDA

View Full Version : Request: Mono 1.1.X Versions

MoB
April 11th, 2005, 06:02 PM
It will be very nice if it can be done, for start writing porting .NET apps with Windows.Forms in Mono 1.1.6 :D

http://www.mono-project.com/Downloads#Development_release

Greetings! [-o<

jdong
April 11th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Certainly doable, but unsure when I'll finish it -- the last mono backport for Warty took a considerable chunk out of an afternoon, so probably it'll be done this weekend.

jdong
April 15th, 2005, 02:47 AM
https://sourceforge.net/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=114399&group_id=125877&group_project_id=42440

I've added a task for your request. You may use the link to see the progress and expected finish date :)

MoB
April 15th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Thanks in advance! :) \\:D/

JuanC
April 15th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I went to http://www.mono-project.com/Downloads and download mono-1.1.6-installer.bin

Now , when i try to run mono i get this message :

/opt/mono-1.1.6/bin/mono.bin: relocation error: /opt/mono-1.1.6/bin/mono.bin: symbol __libc_stack_end, version GLIBC_2.1 not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
Any ubuntu package for Mono 1.1.6 ?

rjlawr
April 17th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Certainly doable, but unsure when I'll finish it -- the last mono backport for Warty took a considerable chunk out of an afternoon, so probably it'll be done this weekend.

I am looking forward to this as well. Will it be for Hoary or Warty?

jdong
April 17th, 2005, 08:28 PM
This'll be for Hoary. I don't dare to try it with Warty ;)

nehalem
April 18th, 2005, 05:33 PM
This will be great. I'm very anxious to see what kind of memory usage optimizations we can expect. I've heard they're pretty significant and with blam using 150mb that is a good thing.

I can only imagine the scope of this backport as I wonder how much of the current apps (tomboy, muine, blam, etc) will eventually have to be backported as well in order to work. Then of course everyone will want Beagle...

Thanks for the hard work!

rjlawr
April 18th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Oh, beyond mono, can you also backport related tools and libraries? Such as MonoDevelop 0.6 and gtk#2?

You know you are a geek when you drool over the prospect of new versions of development tools.

Now . . . where did I put my mop?

:grin:

rjlawr
April 25th, 2005, 01:42 AM
https://sourceforge.net/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=114399&group_id=125877&group_project_id=42440

I've added a task for your request. You may use the link to see the progress and expected finish date :)
According to the task on the sourceforge project page, the expected release date was 22 April 2005. Can we have an update on its status?

Also this may help: http://pkg-mono.alioth.debian.org/ is a project to create pkgs for Debian and could be used as a base for Ubuntu, but they do not install and work properly as-is.

I understand the project is run in by volunteers in their free time and I appreciate their efforts.

Thanks again.

jdong
April 25th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Sorry,

Backports are running behind schedule due to my massive load of stuff to do in my own life ;)

Currently, I'm getting the critically important packages backported, like Firefox 1.0.3 (which contains security fixes).

Then, I'll move on to FreeNX (because of its high demand).

After that would come Mono and WINE, then games.

RastaMahata
April 26th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Sorry,

Backports are running behind schedule due to my massive load of stuff to do in my own life ;)

Currently, I'm getting the critically important packages backported, like Firefox 1.0.3 (which contains security fixes).

Then, I'll move on to FreeNX (because of its high demand).

After that would come Mono and WINE, then games.
aww... no acrobat or transcode or avidemux2 :(

oh well, thumbs up for the good work :D

jdong
April 26th, 2005, 01:45 AM
No, I haven't rejected those yet; I'm just putting it off for later.

Though I will have to reject Acrobat Reader due to licensing issues (redistribution restriction) beyond my control.

RastaMahata
April 26th, 2005, 04:30 AM
No, I haven't rejected those yet; I'm just putting it off for later.

Though I will have to reject Acrobat Reader due to licensing issues (redistribution restriction) beyond my control.
heh, no worries. I've learned to live with evince. (I wish it was translated though).

Keep up the good work. I'm about to do a clean hoary install, and only add the backports debs appart from the official ubuntu multiverse and universe ones, and see how it goes (I wont add marillat...)

That's it, I'm not hijacking this thread any longer. :(

rlcoach
April 26th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Looking forward to this. I have just this weekend moved over to Ubuntu from Windows XP. The .net framework is the only thing that keeps me on Windows for long portions of time, if we can get the latest versions of Mono/MonoDevelop with Hoary that would be fantastic, and not just for development as Beagle looks good too and that has a dependency on latest MOno.

gamehack
April 28th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Any progress on this? I've been waiting for this for quite some weeks now :(

Regards,
gamehack

jdong
May 1st, 2005, 12:17 AM
1.1.6 is currently in Debian Experimental.

I'll grab it and place it in -staging tonight.

jdong
May 1st, 2005, 12:46 AM
I'm uploading Mono packages now.

Due to my creative ways around the cli-common and mono-1.1.6 cross-circular dependency, this first package may not have proper dependencies and such.

After this upload, if it's deemed that deps are not correct, I'll upload a ~ubp2 revision.

panabar
May 1st, 2005, 09:57 AM
I'm uploading Mono packages now.

Due to my creative ways around the cli-common and mono-1.1.6 cross-circular dependency, this first package may not have proper dependencies and such.

After this upload, if it's deemed that deps are not correct, I'll upload a ~ubp2 revision.
I just installed these packages.
Blam starts much faster than with the hoary mono but,
Muine Music Player does not work after upgrading to these new mono packages.

:/

Thank You

rlcoach
May 1st, 2005, 10:58 AM
I just installed these packages.
Blam starts much faster than with the hoary mono but,
Muine Music Player does not work after upgrading to these new mono packages.

:/

Thank You

Are the packages up? Where do I have to go to get em?

jdong
May 1st, 2005, 02:44 PM
They're currrently in hoary-backports-staging/universe. Install the "mono" package, and the rest should be pulled along with it.

nehalem
May 2nd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Nice!

Before i install I must know one thing. Does tomboy break?

rlcoach
May 2nd, 2005, 10:56 AM
They're currrently in hoary-backports-staging/universe. Install the "mono" package, and the rest should be pulled along with it.

Thanks for that, it worked great.

Are there any plans to do MonoDevelop 0.6? As this sort of goes hand in hand with Mono.

jdong
May 2nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
There are no Debian packages for MonoDevelop 0.6 yet. I'll wait for Sid or Breezy to get them, because getting too far ahead of the development release spells living nightmare when upgrading to the next release :)

rlcoach
May 2nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
There are no Debian packages for MonoDevelop 0.6 yet. I'll wait for Sid or Breezy to get them, because getting too far ahead of the development release spells living nightmare when upgrading to the next release :)

Was looking at doing it manually until I saw all the dependencies and thought as a Linux/Ubuntu noob, it might not be wise :) .

darrenadams
May 2nd, 2005, 12:46 PM
Nice!

Before i install I must know one thing. Does tomboy break?

Short Answer: Yes.

Longer Answer: Yes, but you can get the not-yet-officially-released 0.3.2 deb file from http://www.beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/releases/tomboy-0.3.2/tomboy_0.3.2-1_i386.deb which, from what I've seen so far works without a problem.

nehalem
May 2nd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Short Answer: Yes.

Longer Answer: Yes, but you can get the not-yet-officially-released 0.3.2 deb file from http://www.beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/releases/tomboy-0.3.2/tomboy_0.3.2-1_i386.deb which, from what I've seen so far works without a problem.

That sounds like a good solution then. I still think I may wait (even though my excitement may get the better of me).

nehalem
May 2nd, 2005, 03:59 PM

What about beagle, maybe with some nautilus integration. That's not too far ahead right.

:grin:

(joking)

jdong
May 2nd, 2005, 09:47 PM
Ok, so do you guys want Mono bumped to stable? Or does it need further testing?

gbil
May 3rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
Ok, so do you guys want Mono bumped to stable? Or does it need further testing?

Well every app I have tested so far with this version (Monodevelop, beagle, tomboy, fspot) works fine so it could go to stable.

xmlblog
May 3rd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Well every app I have tested so far with this version (Monodevelop, beagle, tomboy, fspot) works fine so it could go to stable.
Thank you very much for this port. I *finally* managed to install mono 1.1.6. I am a Linux nubie and was wondering several things both directly related to this thread as well as more generally. Any answers or pointers in the right direction are greatly appreciated.
On-topic:
When I got mono, I noticed MonoDevelop and mod_mono were absent. Can I just grab these from go-mono.org and they *should* work? If not, is there some other location? I noticed gbil mentioned he got MonoDevelop (and beagle) to work.

General:
Why are backports necessary to begin with? Pardon my ignorance, but it seems to me like having library dependencies installed should be the end of the issue. Clearly, this is not the case and I'm wondering what is it about Linux architecture that makes it necessary to backport code to various distributions (Debian in particular).

Ex. Windows Server 2000, 2003, XP doesn't matter as long as .NET 1.1 is installed and all library dependencies resolved I can compile and .NET srouce into an app and have it work. Again, pardon my ignorance with this platform but coming from that world the easiest way for me to understand concepts is by analogy...

Thanks again.

Nis
May 4th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Backports aren't really a Linux in general thing but more of a distribution specific thing. With Ubuntu (and Debian stable) the only time an application or library is updated is if there is a serious bug or security release. And only the patches that fix the bug or security hole are applied. Any new features are not applied to make technical support easier by not having multiple versions of an application available with multiple features. A backport is an unofficial package that adds the new features but at the cost of being, well, unofficial. Support is not offered on all unofficial packages (backports and anything from uni/multiverse).

jdong provides a great service by making backports of some things. In the case of Mono version 1.1.x is vastly superior to 1.0.x but because Ubuntu will not release a new feature version to a stable release a backport is necessary. This whole thing is a non-issue on some distributions; Fedora regularly releases new feature versions of some packages and a distribution like Gentoo releases new feature versions on everything (although it takes forever for GNOME to be considered stable on Gentoo).

As far as the compile thing goes you'll need Mono to develop Mono apps (C# code). The older versions of Mono might not have all the features you need implemented so if you're going to code a Mono app you should use the latest stable version.

jdong
May 4th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Ex. Windows Server 2000, 2003, XP doesn't matter as long as .NET 1.1 is installed and all library dependencies resolved I can compile and .NET srouce into an app and have it work. Again, pardon my ignorance with this platform but coming from that world the easiest way for me to understand concepts is by analogy...

Thanks again.

Windows has the same problems:

1. MS compiled .NET for each version of Windows -- If there were 300 distributions of Windows, there'd be a similar problem ;)

2. If I install a 3rd party library in .NET, similar library versions result.

Backports are necessary because each distribution's binaries are different because they all use slightly differing libraries.

rjlawr
May 4th, 2005, 06:19 AM

jdong, there is an offiical website for Debian pkgs of Mono / Monodevelop at http://pkg-mono.alioth.debian.org/ . The people at this website are the ones that submit the packages to Debian Sid. If nothing else, a release candidate of monodevelop 0.6 can be built from their source packages. monodevelop 0.5.1 will not work with mono 1.1.6, as it is a known problem.

I was (with some trouble) able to build monodevelop 0.6 from source and create a *.deb with checkinstall, though its not suitable for redistribution.

The new packages seem to work well and appear to be stable. Thanks for your work on getting these packages working.

jdong
May 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM
http://debian.meebey.net/monodevelop/source/monodevelop_0.6.orig.tar.gz

Alright, I'll take a look at the those sources and see if I can make a MonoDevelop deb.

xmlblog
May 4th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Thank you all for educating me.
One question I still have, do I even need to request mod_mono be backported? Is there another way to write Mono (1.1.6)/ASP.NET web apps for Apache2?

jdong
May 4th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I don't understand how mono works too much. mod-mono is currently at 1.0-1 (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hoary/web/libapache-mod-mono), which is the current Ubuntu Hoary version.

Is there another package? Or should I just compile mod-mono against the new mono-dev? I'll do the latter right now.

Juergen
May 6th, 2005, 12:57 PM
When installing I get the following errors for each *.deb (partly translated from german):

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mono-jit_1.1.6-2~5.04ubp1_i386.deb is not a valid DEB-Package.
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/mono-jit_1.1.6-2~5.04ubp1_i386.deb
debconf: apt-extracttemplates failed: Invalid filedescriptor
But after that the packages are unpacked and installed - and they seem to work.

XDevHald
May 6th, 2005, 01:01 PM
jdong, the latest is 0.8 of mod_mono.
http://go-mono.com/archive/xsp-0.10.html

And mono 1.1.7
http://go-mono.com/archive/1.1.7

And check out - http://www.mono-project.com/Downloads for those that want a little more detail on the latest information or release of mono.

jdong
May 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM
When installing I get the following errors for each *.deb (partly translated from german):

But after that the packages are unpacked and installed - and they seem to work.
Yeah, I see this. It's due to my inability to sign packages properly.

I'm rolling back the repository now.

nehalem
May 6th, 2005, 03:36 PM
jdong, there is an offiical website for Debian pkgs of Mono / Monodevelop at http://pkg-mono.alioth.debian.org/ . The people at this website are the ones that submit the packages to Debian Sid. If nothing else, a release candidate of monodevelop 0.6 can be built from their source packages. monodevelop 0.5.1 will not work with mono 1.1.6, as it is a known problem.

I was (with some trouble) able to build monodevelop 0.6 from source and create a *.deb with checkinstall, though its not suitable for redistribution.

The new packages seem to work well and appear to be stable. Thanks for your work on getting these packages working.

Well monodevelop is working for me. It seems to have bugs but I know I have mono 1.1.6 on my machine (I have beagle using it and stuff). Also tomboy has worked without a problem? Is there something I'm missing? Poeple keep reporting that these programs aren't working but they are for me so I'm wondering what I may have done differently...

EDIT: I shoudl say that monodevelop doestn' seem to work perfectly. Autocompletion doesn't seem to work but to be honest it's always seemed pretty fickle to me anyway (I was hoping the .6 would address some of this as I understand it's a major bug fix version)

jdong
May 6th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I see this. It's due to my inability to sign packages properly.

I'm rolling back the repository now.

UPDATE: Rolling back 10GB of packages is a pretty time-consuming endeavor, especially if I issue the command incorrectly twice ;)

I hope to have this straightened out by tonight.

bdoetsch
May 7th, 2005, 11:49 AM
tomboy works if you use the version to be released soon... but f-spot doesn't work anymore. at least not for me - see bug #302853 (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=302853)

Yolteotl
May 11th, 2005, 02:07 AM
jdong, are you planning on backporting MonoDevelop? Since version 0.6 now available.

BTW, let me take the oportunity to thankyou on this great service you are providing to us Ubuntu users.

ow50
May 12th, 2005, 03:30 PM
The Hoary muine segfaulted on song change with this new mono. Went back to Hoary mono and it works again.

As others too have reported problems with Hoary versions of mono apps, shouldn't this keep the mono packages out of the stable repository?

Ozitraveller
May 15th, 2005, 03:42 AM
How can I install mono, when I try using synaptic I get circular references issues?