PDA

View Full Version : I am reinventing the wheel. Should I stop now?

Note360
September 18th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Any way I wrote that trash application and while writing that I decided to write my own python version of rm (pyrm), which sucks. However, by reinventing the wheel I learned alot about CLI applications that I will implement into my trash application to make it more effective, by making it selfsufficient. (It used to rely on GNU rm and ls).

My question is should I stop reinventing the wheel or finish the pyrm(pygnu) project so I can learn from it? I know it will never be able to replace GNU though.

daxelrod
September 18th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Why stop?

As long as your goal is to learn, what you're doing not only makes sense, but is one of the best approaches available.

Reinventing the wheel is a problem foremost because the newly invented wheel takes a lot of effort to create. The other main problem is that you don't usually end up with a wheel that's quite as polished or complete as what exists (look at how many revisions the GNU true utility has gone through, for example).

As long as you recognize that your versions haven't stood the test of time, and are benefitting from the effort, why not continue?

I should note that this kind of project has also been done in Perl. (http://ppt.perl.org/)

Note360
September 19th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I already knew about the perl version. Actually this is helping me learn a lot about Python and CLI. And true my wheel is more like a flat tire with nails and some tape on it.

3rdalbum
September 19th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Open-source is full of instances where the wheel is reinvented. Both wheels compete against eachother, and therefore get better.

There was also an open-source project to write an operating system in Python. It didn't really go that far, and the project is at a halt now, but if it ever gets resurrected your pyrm program might be useful.

If you're learning, then more power to you and your wonky wheel!

skymt
September 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM
There was also an open-source project to write an operating system in Python. It didn't really go that far, and the project is at a halt now, but if it ever gets resurrected your pyrm program might be useful.

Including the kernel? Graphics system?