PDA

View Full Version : Should "I hate ubuntu" posts be removed or put somewhere?

jd65pl
September 17th, 2006, 07:43 PM
My problem is why do people post unconstructive stuff like "ubuntu is no good for me" taking up valuable forum real estate, when so many people are constructively trying to learn how to use the OS.

Should this type of post have a "specical place" to maintain the focus of the forums on helping those who want it?

I know this point of view is fairly undemocratic and limits freedom of speach but I believe these posts are not helping anyone and remove the emphasis of the "Help" aspect of the forum.

J

bulldog
September 17th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I agree with you.

Make a Backyard for Beginner so whe can put that kind of threads there.

aysiu
September 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM
For related discussions, check out these two threads:

How to handle "Going back to Windows" threads (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239206)
Should "I'm going back to Windows" threads be removed/discouraged/allowed? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=233728)

Iarwain ben-adar
September 17th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I second the idea for Backyard,
but the problem may be that these persons will not even bother to go post it there (if you see that most problems are posted in the Beginners Area, and not in e.g. the Gaming Area..

But the idea is good :)

Iarwain

Bartender
September 17th, 2006, 07:50 PM
On the one hand, it's fun to watch everyone pile on the poor sap who was dumb enuf to post his anti-Ubuntu rant. On the other, you're absolutely correct about the waste of resources.

aysiu
September 17th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I second the idea for Backyard,
but the problem may be that these persons will not even bother to go post it there (if you see that most problems are posted in the Beginners Area, and not in e.g. the Gaming Area..

But the idea is good :)

Iarwain
That's easily solved, though--just report the post, and it'll be moved to the appropriate subforum.

Kilz
September 17th, 2006, 07:54 PM
That's easily solved, though--just report the post, and it'll be moved to the appropriate subforum.

Im suprised its not being done, as the recient "ubuntu sucks" thread shows. I can see if there is some negitivity in the thread as weel as a request for help. But most are useless.

aysiu
September 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Im suprised its not being done, as the recient "ubuntu sucks" thread shows. I can see if there is some negitivity in the thread as weel as a request for help. But most are useless.
Well, right now there is no subforum for complaining and hating threads. If we had one, we could move them all there.

coastdweller
September 17th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Well, right now there is no subforum for complaining and hating threads. If we had one, we could move them all there.
They sound like testimonial threads to me.

jd65pl
September 17th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Ah the irony of this thread being moved you have to laugh!

marianom
September 17th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Sorry to interrupt but I feel that the way the poll question is built does not logically match the options given as possible answers. You have a "option A or option B?" and the answers are Yes/No/Don't care.
Granted, english is not my mother tongue so that's why maybe I find them difficult but it's just a suggestion.

And by the way: I consider the "i hate ubuntu, i'm going back to windows" guys to be in two groups:
1- the ones that cry for attention (passive aggresive attitude you know) and they post to see if someone helps them.
2- the ones that already made their mind and they're just plain mean. These ones should be deleted.

BWF89
September 17th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Allowing "Ubuntu/Linux sucks" threads to remain on the forum would be like the NRA having anti-gun advertisements on their website.

coastdweller
September 18th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Horrible analogy, not even close.

Allowing "Ubuntu/Linux sucks" threads to remain on the forum would be like the NRA having anti-gun advertisements on their website.

xpod
September 18th, 2006, 12:25 AM

I really dont think it would make any difference whatsoever...
It might well upset some die hard linux folks but i doubt it would have any
effect at all on anybody elses decision.
ANY publicity is GOOD publicity is it not.

From what i can gather even the freshest new users find those outrageous "ubunto sucks" statements hilarious ....AS they struggle to configure their own network and graphics cards.

WHO really cares if mr windows power user lambasts the thing.He`s only putting himself in the firing line and certainly not Ubunto from what i in my limited experience can tell...
And whats wrong with a little light relief now and again, it can certainly bring a "ready to leave" person round so it can...Once they see how silly there being.

TLE
September 18th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Well I don't what the experience is from other forums. If they are moved/deleted do we then risk that somebody will want to "challenge the authority" and start a lot of empty threads with the subject "I hate Ubuntu" in the support part of the forum? Well if you guys don't think that would be a problem, then I think they should be moved, but not deleted, that just don't go with Ubuntu, at all...
Regards TLE

trash
September 18th, 2006, 12:33 AM

I agree

brianC
September 18th, 2006, 01:22 AM
No. If all there is are positive posts and get ride of the negative,is that not a form of censorship? Get ride of the bad to make a product look good. The problem is from the instant "Iwantitnowtoworkgoodwithouthavingtodoanything" attitude from todays microwave society.Spend a lifetime driving on the ride to suddenly driving on the left.....not gonna happen over night...there is going to be a few bumps and dents .If not for you so be it, thanks for trying.

Omnios
September 18th, 2006, 01:27 AM
This is mor ethan a yes or now discution as I see it. If someone has a good argument they should be but in the flame section so we can beet the hell out of it. Anti Ubuntu flames and hatemail that has no ground other than someone complaining ant expressing there own personal view, hatemail should be delated on grounds of there relavence. I have no desire to have someone flame and bash and Ubuntu because Ubunu is not a free Windows OS.

aysiu
September 18th, 2006, 03:23 AM
A testimonial, by definition, is positive. Look it up in the dictionary.

coastdweller
September 18th, 2006, 05:04 AM
A testimonial, by definition, is positive. Look it up in the dictionary.
I may have referred to a testimony other than a testimonial

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=testimony
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=testimonial

What you've focused on brings out that there really isn't a forum for testimony's, only testimonials.

So in essence there is only a "good" forum, not a bad.

jd65pl
September 18th, 2006, 12:22 PM
The point im trying to get across is that the beginner forum is a place people come to get help and assistance. These posts tend not to ask for assistance at all and therefore take up valuable real estate on the forum pages.

Sorry to interrupt but I feel that the way the poll question is built does not logically match the options given as possible answers. You have a "option A or option B?" and the answers are Yes/No/Don't care.
Granted, english is not my mother tongue so that's why maybe I find them difficult but it's just a suggestion.

The question is:

Should negative posts be put in to a different place or deleted from the forum

The responses are:

Yes
No
I don't care

I dont see anything fundementaly incorrect with that. A bit of a tangent I think.

enopepsoo
September 18th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I think you should let these posts stay. Someone may be reading up on Ubuntu online to decide whether they would like to switch or not.

In the interest of honesty they should be able to easily see where/when/why/how people are having problems.

On the other hand, I think people who say "Ubuntu sucks!" want help getting it to work more than anything. I think that their motivation is to get attention so that their issue will be resolved. They are new to the whole process and do not realise that help is always forthcoming when someone knows how to fix the problem.

:-\"

jd65pl
September 18th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I also think people should give posts an appropriate subject name it doesn't help users searching for a solution when posts are called

Help

Linux newbie

Or other useful headings which don't describe the issue.

Lord Illidan
September 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I think you should let these posts stay. Someone may be reading up on Ubuntu online to decide whether they would like to switch or not.

In the interest of honesty they should be able to easily see where/when/why/how people are having problems.

On the other hand, I think people who say "Ubuntu sucks!" want help getting it to work more than anything. I think that their motivation is to get attention so that their issue will be resolved. They are new to the whole process and do not realise that help is always forthcoming when someone knows how to fix the problem.

:-\"

I agree with this. It is astounding, the number of users who post a thread like that, and then are helped in that thread, and become ubuntu stalwarts all over again :)

Dr. Nick
September 18th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I think similar to some others, If you look at those threads that bash ubuntu they always seem to have the most pages, more than many support topics. Yet alot of the post are not real helpful. When those titles are given people are drawn to them to defend what they love.

I think the post should stay here, not in a support forum though unless they are willing to recieve help. Many will not be convinced, yet post to stir us all up, that is bad for the forum I feel since it can turn members against each other.

I think we threads like those mentioned above that show how to deal with them posts, I have gone through some similar threads where after pages of support the user gets the issue resolved and stays, but more often then not alot seem like trools who make vague statements that lead to arguing and never come back.

omns
September 19th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Frak
September 19th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I think the hate mail should be moved to the backyard, where it belongs

argie
September 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I think they should all be dumped in one thread.
Why?

1. If it is a problem with a specific piece of hardware or software, there are the appropriate support forums.
2. If it's a problem with games in Linux, then there are already threads on this. I understand that if a topic addresses the same issue as an existing one, the threads are merged.
3. If it's a problem with Linux otherwise or just how Windows is more "user-friendly", there are 30+ threads on this (yes, really, there's a list somewhere). Same reason as above, same result.

Having the threads as separate indicates that each thread describes a unique issue. Usually, this is not true. Also, deleting a thread leads to accusations of censorship and stuff like that, not really important, but better to avoid when it's so easy to.

Well actually, here the options aren't "delete" and "move", they're "either delete or move" and "neither delete nor move". Hope that clears it up :)

aysiu
September 19th, 2006, 03:56 PM
argie, sounds as if you'd be a fan of my megathread idea (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=174298).

I don't know why this isn't implemented.

Brunellus
September 19th, 2006, 04:41 PM
argie, sounds as if you'd be a fan of my megathread idea (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=174298).

I call it a "metathread"--a thread about threads.

aysiu
September 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I call it a "metathread"--a thread about threads.
I think you're referring to the All my favorite Linux desktop readiness threads (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=219243) thread, which is a metathread.

I was referring to What do people think about megathreads (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=174298), in which I propose that chat threads on rehashed topics be merged into appropriate megathreads, for the reasons outlined by argie a few posts back.

These would be some of the megathreads that would be in one easy-to-find place for those who care and one easy-to-avoid place for those who don't care:
KDE v. Gnome v. XFCE
Firefox v. Opera v. Epiphany
Windows v. Linux v. Mac
Goodbye, Ubuntu

argie
September 20th, 2006, 06:18 PM

That, sir, I am. Watching very similiar topics force me to go to the next page of threads gives me a I-wish-I-had-a-crowbar feeling.