anil_robo
September 17th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Which operating system is this? :biggrin:

tseliot
September 17th, 2006, 10:49 AM
winxp emulating Ubuntu in a window?

AlphaMack
September 17th, 2006, 10:50 AM
OS X running Windows and Ubuntu via Parallels.

anil_robo
September 17th, 2006, 10:53 AM
winxp emulating Ubuntu in a window?
You're missing something.

bonzodog
That is;

Windows running Mac OSX in virtualisation mode which is then running Ubuntu in VMWare.

As far as I can tell.

anil_robo
OS X running Windows and Ubuntu via Parallels.

This is not parallels... even if it was, windows will not look like what it is looking in this. O:)

anil_robo
September 17th, 2006, 10:54 AM
That is;

Windows running Mac OSX in virtualisation mode which is then running Ubuntu in VMWare.

As far as I can tell.

Almost there! But not quite yet!

Kimm
September 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Almost there! But not quite yet!

Windows running OS X in virtualisation mode AND Ubuntu in VMWare

anil_robo
September 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Windows running OS X in virtualisation mode AND Ubuntu in VMWare

No.

Examine all the screen, all the graphics carefully. You all have guessed right - there are three operating systems... but which one is the host, and which ones are the guest? And which methods are they using?

AlphaMack
September 17th, 2006, 11:31 AM
OS X has to be the host for sure. The Dock could be throwing me a curve though.

Anonii
September 17th, 2006, 11:47 AM
OS X, with a Windows wallpaper (the icons and taskbar are on the wallpaper too), running an Ubuntu emulator or something.

Kernel Sanders
September 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM
OS X, with a Windows wallpaper (the icons and taskbar are on the wallpaper too), running an Ubuntu emulator or something.

Thats pretty much my guess too :)

I'm noticing that The windows clock, and the Ubuntu clock show very different times :-\"

Pumm4
September 17th, 2006, 03:27 PM
It's Windows (with MacOS X Theme) running Ubuntu with VMware Workstation.

chaos386
September 17th, 2006, 03:44 PM

What he said, except that Ubuntu is being accessed through a Cisco VNC client.

Stew2
September 17th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Windows Vista, second edition? :D :D :D

aysiu
September 17th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Photoshop?

... or GIMP?

alecjw
September 17th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Ubuntu with cairo-dock running windows xp in VMWare server, full screen which is running another copy of ubuntu in windowed VMWare server.

zachtib
September 17th, 2006, 06:37 PM
OS X running XP through Virtual PC, which in turn is running Ubuntu through VMWare player?

rowanparker
September 17th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Windows with added OS X thingy at the bottom with Ubuntu runnng in VMware.

Come on, just tell us :D

Anonii
September 17th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Well, the panel transparency doubts that. EXCEPT, if that line of 5pixels~ on the top was cropped out for a reason <:

Iandefor
September 17th, 2006, 07:16 PM
It would appear that somebody is using Ubuntu in a virtual machine in a virtualized copy of Windows running under Mac OS X.

jason.b.c
September 17th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Well i certanly see Rocket Launcher (http://home.cogeco.ca/~rklauncher/) down at the bottom...!!!

Windows running ubuntu in emulation with RK Launcher at the bottom and a Mac skin on the messanger...!

KaeseEs
September 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Host OS is OSX.
Windows XP is being run via VMWare virtualization.
Ubuntu is being accessed via a VPN client, which itself is being run from within the virtualized Windows environment.

Am I close?

Adamant1988
September 17th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Windows running stardock while running virtualizing ubuntu?

Wallakoala
September 17th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Ok I think that xp is the host. That bar at the bottom is most likely that "rocket launcher" app.

I don't think that osx is the host because if you look at the window border of the ubuntu window it doesn't look like osx at all, but it doesn't look like windows and it couldn't be ubuntu because of the olive green scroll bar.

This picture has to be photoshopped.

Or it could be osx running windows in a virtual machine which is running ubuntu in a virtual machine, but it would still be weird.

croak77
September 17th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Lame.

anil_robo
September 17th, 2006, 11:36 PM
OS X has to be the host for sure. The Dock could be throwing me a curve though.

Nice find. True. One of 'em nailed down.

anil_robo
September 17th, 2006, 11:37 PM

Haha! Quite a creative possibility. I bet I could have done this as well, and it would look no different than what it looks right now! You're theoretically correct.

anil_robo
September 17th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Photoshop?

... or GIMP?

Another creative possibility! I used GIMPshop to compress and reduce size of the image :D

anil_robo
September 17th, 2006, 11:41 PM
What he said, except that Ubuntu is being accessed through a Cisco VNC client.

You nailed the second one... observing the Cisco VPN client running in OS X dock....

I now reveal it. The steps:

1. It's OS X on a macbook.
2. I connect to a windows XP computer via Remote Desktop in fullscreen mode.
3. That windows XP computer (which is remote) is running Ubuntu in VMware Player.

Most people guessed the possibilities correctly... and I bet some of the answers were far more intelligent than my original question! :biggrin: Congratulations to zachtib, Iandefor, KaeseEs for getting the correct answer!

Thank you all - you're great! Have a nice day!