PDA

View Full Version : What if...?

bonzodog
September 17th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I was having a sunday morning bath this morning, and I got to thinking;

If Mark Shuttleworth was to;

a) Invest some of his fortune, and buy Transgaming.org, pay it's devels full time, AND drop the ubuntu full version of Cedega into the commercial repos.

AND

b) With venture Capital, buy Blizzard Entertainment, and make them start developing for linux properly.

Would that give MS a run for their money?

I actually think it would make BG and SB sit up and pay attention, as their would suddenly be serious competition in the market, and all of a sudden, Ubuntu could run 80% of windows software with no real problems, AND they would suddenly have a whole generation of youngsters who realise they do not need to run Windows anymore to play their favourite games.

It was just a speculative thought, but a real "What if...?" for me.

Kernel Sanders
September 17th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Surely the aim should be to get people coding for linux, rather than turning Linux into a giant windows emulator?

Lord Illidan
September 17th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Hmm...you'll have a hard time convincing him...but a good idea nonetheless.

Pumm4
September 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Nice thought bonzodog. I think something (r)evolutionary will happen one day ...

3rdalbum
September 17th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Buying Transgaming wouldn't necessarily kill off native Linux game development. Transgaming have products designed for rapidly porting Windows games to OS X, so if something similar was made for porting programs to Linux, that would be very useful.

(sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to spend someone else's money!)

I'm hoping that the Commercial repository actually reflects its name a bit more, and be a kind of "Click 'n' Run". Developing a Linux port would be more enticing for game developers if it was possible to market directly to Linux users.

DoctorMO
September 17th, 2006, 01:23 PM
No i'd want him to open source transgaming *mutter mutter bar studs*

Otherwise I hope they go out of business IMDO.

Lord Illidan
September 17th, 2006, 01:29 PM
No i'd want him to open source transgaming *mutter mutter bar studs*

Otherwise I hope they go out of business IMDO.

I don't think that is possible :)

That said, why not skip transgaming, and buy some game companies...EA or Eidos or Blizzard??? Although..I doubt even Mark has that much money..lol

Ah, let's just buy Microsoft :)....opensource Windows :biggrin:

maniacmusician
September 20th, 2006, 02:37 AM
I don't think that is possible :)

That said, why not skip transgaming, and buy some game companies...EA or Eidos or Blizzard??? Although..I doubt even Mark has that much money..lol

Ah, let's just buy Microsoft :)....opensource Windows :biggrin:
lol, why, so we can all sit around and laugh at the code?

hehe why not just skip the shenanigans and buy google? huge income and focused development in several directions.

[sigh] i can dream...

croak77
September 20th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Would that give MS a run for their money?

Absolutely not. First off, people don't really know what GNU/Linux is. I think most people would just stick to what was installed on their PC when they bought it. Why would they switch OS because of Cedega? If Mr. Shuttleworth wanted to waste some money, he should start a cheaper alternative to Dell. Maybe partner with Lenovo and offer cheap quality desktops and laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled.