PDA

View Full Version : my Ubuntu shipit account is not going to send me CDs?

garenasix
September 15th, 2006, 10:38 PM
iv been ording ubuntu CDs for some time now since 4.0 iv been giving them out at work to costermors and to local PC stores around my naborhood to give out .. i was ording them 10 at a time like once a month .. i love ubuntu and wish to see it grow here in the USA and all over .. but for some reasion my last few orders the requests was not approved and im woundering why this is .. and if this can be fixed in some way so that i can keep giving them out ... i can burn it my self but giving them out that way is not going over as well as when i was giving them out with the OEM type package CD that ubuntu sends out

thank you

Jerry

Dragonbite
September 15th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Could be the victim of Ubuntu's success? Maybe they have so many more orders they have to start denying some until they can increase production?

punkinside
September 15th, 2006, 11:27 PM
or you ordered too many... is there a rationale for not aproving the requests?

Kernel Sanders
September 15th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Could be the victim of Ubuntu's success? Maybe they have so many more orders they have to start denying some until they can increase production?

I think its more likely down to abuse of the system sadly :(

IIRC, there have been cases of people using the service to "decorate their room with CD's" and then posting pictures on their websites for all to see etc..

Therefore, unless you can prove that you want large numbers of Ubuntu CD's for a legitimite reason, all such requests are likely to be viewed with suspicion :(

garenasix
September 15th, 2006, 11:31 PM
i understand that ...that sucks tho ooh well i guess il have to try to get in touch with shipit and work something out ..givin out the ones i burn are ok to friends but leaving them in the PC shops aint workin out less there OEM packaged

PryGuy
September 16th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Good Day, everyone!
I have my shipit.ubuntu.com account that sends me CDs. Well, it used to... I have many computer geeks around me and it's easy for me to spread the CDs among them. Yes, I can burn the image, but the Ubuntu disks usually impress people, you know. So, I ordered my CDs (5 disks I believe) as the 6.06 was released but I ran out of them very quickly, so I decided to order some more. But! I see this thing for more than two months as I check out my account:
# 10 CDs requested in 2006-07-04. This request was not approved, so no CDs were shipped.
# 10 CDs requested in 2006-07-24. This request was not approved, so no CDs were shipped.
# 10 CDs requested in 2006-09-03. This request was not approved, so no CDs were shipped. I tried to order CDs three times, but... you can see the results above... I sent e-mail to the support but it didn't help... What's wrong with me or with my account and how do I fix it? Please help! Thanks in advance!

maniacmusician
September 16th, 2006, 04:05 AM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=258253

PryGuy
September 16th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Thanks a lot, really kind of you! But one of the guys writes in that post "or you ordered too many...". That is not true for me, 'cause the confirmation delay with thefirst order made me make the other two requests actually. Will try to contact shipit again...:(

maniacmusician
September 16th, 2006, 04:20 AM
well even ten cd's is too many unless you have a really good reason.

like the other thread said, because people were abusing shipit, they're getting more cautious.

PryGuy
September 16th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Yeah, okay. But how do I tell them I'm a good boy? That is the question...

maniacmusician
September 16th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I don't know. you could try ordering them in smaller quantities, i suppose.

DoctorMO
September 16th, 2006, 06:10 PM
You could always donate some money.

Anduu
September 16th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I think its more likely down to abuse of the system sadly :(

IIRC, there have been cases of people using the service to "decorate their room with CD's" and then posting pictures on their websites for all to see etc..

Therefore, unless you can prove that you want large numbers of Ubuntu CD's for a legitimite reason, all such requests are likely to be viewed with suspicion :(

There is even one case that I am aware of where someine got hold of a boatload of cds,smashed them to pieces and posted the video on the net.

Minyaliel
September 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM
There is even one case that I am aware of where someine got hold of a boatload of cds,smashed them to pieces and posted the video on the net.

:o!! Heretics!! :biggrin:

Anduu
September 16th, 2006, 10:02 PM
:o!! Heretics!! :biggrin:

Frankly I find nothing even remotely amusing about it...

Kernel Sanders
September 16th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Frankly I find nothing even remotely amusing about it...

Indeed. I'm quite frankly appauled that people can be so stupid and thoughtless. :(

ubuntu_demon
September 17th, 2006, 01:50 AM
I merged these two threads.

ubuntu_demon
September 17th, 2006, 01:53 AM
my requests :

* 55 CDs requested in 2005-10-05. 55 CDs approved and sent to the shipping company in 2005-10-07. Please note requests usually take from 4 to 6 weeks to deliver, depending on the country of shipping.
* 10 CDs requested in 2006-05-18. 10 CDs approved and sent to the shipping company in 2006-05-24. Please note requests usually take from 4 to 6 weeks to deliver, depending on the country of shipping.
* 10 CDs requested in 2006-08-17. This request was not approved, so no CDs were shipped.

It turned out that 64bit and ppc cd's aren't very wanted in my circle of friends (the mix was suggested by shipit). But other than that I have been a good boy :)

I don't like people abusing the system. I can understand that they had to take some measures to prevent this a little.

I have decided to wait until I can order cd's for Edgy.

PatrickMay16
September 17th, 2006, 02:47 AM
BENIS!!!!!! Heh heh heh.

Myself, I usually just order 5 CDs whenever the newest version has been out for about five or so days. I did it with breezy, and then with dapper. Though some time after that, I did order one dapper 64 bit CD.

All my requests were approved.

PryGuy
October 22nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
I have one question to the shipit admins: how do I cancel my requests?! Okay, I'm not going to order 10+ Ubuntu CDs anymore if you fail do deliver it to me. But I really want to continue reciving the Ubuntu CDs. Please help me! I can start a new account there or something but I don't feel like doing things like that. Please help me (and all us having the similar problems) stop feeling like an outlaw, cause I'm not an outlaw actually.:) Thank you!

maia
October 22nd, 2006, 12:43 PM
I have one question to the shipit admins: how do I cancel my requests?! Okay, I'm not going to order 10+ Ubuntu CDs anymore if you fail do deliver it to me. But I really want to continue reciving the Ubuntu CDs. Please help me! I can start a new account there or something but I don't feel like doing things like that. Please help me (and all us having the similar problems) stop feeling like an outlaw, cause I'm not an outlaw actually.:) Thank you!
I believe there is a "Cancel" button (for your current order) on top of your ShipIt account.

PryGuy
October 22nd, 2006, 02:57 PM
Well, I can't find it... :(

maia
October 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM
Well, I can't find it... :(
There :D

PryGuy
October 22nd, 2006, 04:47 PM
Yes, I know, it looks like that for about two weeks, then it starts looking like this and there's nothing I can do... I wouldn't post the message if I could see a button like that there...

maia
October 23rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
If they're already canceled, go ahead and order fewer quantities...

bonzodog
October 23rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
my requests :

I have decided to wait until I can order cd's for Edgy.

um, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there will be no Shipit for Edgy, or Edgy +1, Jane from canonical announced this a couple of weeks ago.

If you order CD's from shipit for the next year they will only send Dapper CD's.

There will be a limited shipment of edgy CD's to loco teams - contact your loco team for your area.

Please see:http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=278151

PryGuy
October 23rd, 2006, 04:41 PM
If they're already canceled, go ahead and order fewer quantities...Well, why do you think they are cancelled?