PDA

View Full Version : Jruby

rockz
September 15th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I download jruby in jruby homepage but i don't know how i run it in ubuntu. Do anyone use jruby and can help me ?

mreynolds
February 22nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hello,

You can use the JRuby wiki and read through the following Getting_Started (http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/Getting_Started) page.

This (http://rails.aizatto.com/2007/06/07/jruby-on-ubuntu-feisty-fawn/) page seems to be a pretty good guide that describes everything you need to get started, including setting up Java.

Hope that helps :guitar: \\:D/

jespdj
February 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
mreynolds, did you notice that you just replied to a thread thats two and a half years old? I don't think the OP is still waiting for an answer...

Tsega
January 29th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Guess what? Another two and a half years later somebody might have found it useful.

idi0tf0wl
January 29th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Guess what? Another two and a half years later somebody might have found it useful.

Good job.

Also, someone should point out that there is no such thing as "running" JRuby. In case anyone else (say, two and a half years from now) comes across this thread with the same misconception as the OP, please allow me to explain just what it is that's being talked about (also, it will make me feel important, so humor me):

JRuby is a way of using the Ruby programming language within the other programming language Java (hence the name JRuby). People might like doing this for a variety of reasons, including (but not necessarily limited to) having access to what many consider the raddest language ever (Ruby) from within one of the most pervasive languages ever (Java) for an easier/more readily distributable application, or access to the intensely quick generation of data-crunching code of which Ruby is readily capable from within a language that makes GUI and "write-once-run-anywhere" a simple reality. Or, you might just want to piggy-back off of Java's cross-platform-ness while allowing yourself to work exclusively in a better language (you might have noticed that these are all pretty much the same). Generally speaking, people use JRuby because of the language interaction that it enables. Some things are more easily done in some languages than others, so having choice with no sacrifice to the consumer is always a good thing.

OK done. Who's next?:P

manino
November 24th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks; even though is not 2 and a half years, you answered my question.