PDA

View Full Version : Comic Books! (or RE: Flash: Linux Is Ready For The Desktop!)

DirtDawg
September 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM
So true! I'm a big comics fan, and I've been reading that headline ever since Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns in 1986 and Sandman in the early 1990s, and so on. Of course, you could argue it was even earlier than that--underground comix in the 1970s and Cerebus. Well, in any case, wonderful analogy--hadn't even thought of that.

Okay, I really didn't want to hijack that thread, but it's really great to see someone familiar with Cerebus(Aysiu doesn't accept private messages). One of the most ambitious and interesting endeavers out there.

In fact, I have the first 4 "phone books", and something called "Cerbus Guide to Self Publishing" which, if I had not found at the impressionable age of 19, I would probably never have actually gotten my comics out of my sketchbook and into print.

Anyways, the other comics you mentioned are all classics as well, you've got great taste.If you ever have the time, take a look at Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" (I found it at the library) for a fantastic deconstruction of the art form and an absolute must-read is "Bean World", if you can find it (no, it's not the same beanworld you'll find plush toys for on the internet. I don't know what that is).

Peace

P.S. Hey HeavyMetal. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Avatar.