PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Beans & gallery comments

wieman01
September 15th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Hey Guys,

Just to gain your ideas... It's pretty obvious that some users make use of the gallery in order to collect as many beans as possible for whatever reason. To be honest I find this quite annoying because the gallery is now full of useless ratings which are to no avail.

In my opinion user comments on the gallery should not be taken into consideration by the bean-o-meter... Beans are meant to highlight the user's activity & helpfulnes. It is conspicuous that some are exploiting the system to increase their status.

aysiu
September 15th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Beans do not "highlight the user's... helpfulnes[s]" at all. They indicate only "activity." That's it.

In fact, the forums used to not count posts to the Ubuntu Cafe, but that's since changed.

Klaidas
September 15th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Ah, kids. Give them a picture of beans in the forum and they're happy for a week :)

Brunellus
September 15th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Beans do not "highlight the user's... helpfulnes[s]" at all. They indicate only "activity." That's it.

In fact, the forums used to not count posts to the Ubuntu Cafe, but that's since changed.
as I recall, things really started getting out of hand when the "word association" thread hit. Then it was like....postwhore city, man.

wieman01
September 16th, 2006, 12:11 AM
All am I saying is that I find it a bit odd... frankly. I am not sure if Ubuntu Cafe should count or not, but the gallery comments? That does not make sense. But I am not the one to design this forum. Nonetheless it has become obvious that some are using this to "boost" their profile which - from my perspective - defeats the purpose.

Brunellus
September 16th, 2006, 12:27 AM
All am I saying is that I find it a bit odd... frankly. I am not sure if Ubuntu Cafe should count or not, but the gallery comments? That does not make sense. But I am not the one to design this forum. Nonetheless it has become obvious that some are using this to "boost" their profile which - from my perspective - defeats the purpose.
postwhores are pretty easy to spot...in a "you know 'em when you see 'em" kind of way.

wieman01
September 16th, 2006, 12:40 AM
postwhores are pretty easy to spot...in a "you know 'em when you see 'em" kind of way.
Alright, I got ya... Perhaps it's petty discussing about it but I got annoyed when I literally found the gallery upside down. That said, you're right, you kind know'em anyway.

xpod
September 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I got plenty beans ...BUT take my help at your own risk!!!:-\"

I hope i aint percieved as no "postwhore"??.

I like to read the threads to gain the knowlage and if i feel like "commenting" i do.....Certainly NOT just to get bloody beans though..
I had it hidden for a while cause i was so conscious of them all

OH and i CANT help myself when i see "this dont work...Ubu is crap"

It`s all a bit of a novelty at first.....im sure i`ll get over it:-\"

If i have had the same prob i tell people what I did but i would`nt even attempt to do much more than that....

Cheers....."that scottish pest"

EDIT:scared to even "post" NOW=D>

EDIT2:....Just remembered.....I dont give a "flying haggis" WHAT anybody thinks.....:biggrin: ,,,as long as i aint upsetting no-one

Lord Illidan
September 16th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I just post and that's that... I know I am not the expert, nor do I pretend to be...beans are just a nice, silly feature..

xpod
September 16th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I was ashamed of my bean count until i realised that i actually had only started 48 threads for help(only..mmmmm)

Quite a lot of my posts are on "those" threads where people are ready to give up but mabey just need a little motivation to carry on.:twisted:

Plus i seem to know some of the basics now and can tell others what i know..
which might not be much...but it`s those basic things that we need help with first of all so the least i can do is pass it on.

I like a laugh and a community aint a community without laughter is it?

Lord Illidan
September 16th, 2006, 01:25 PM
I was ashamed of my bean count until i realised that i actually had only started 48 threads for help(only..mmmmm)

Quite a lot of my posts are on "those" threads where people are ready to give up but mabey just need a little motivation to carry on.:twisted:

which might not be much...but it`s those basic things that we need help with first of all so the least i can do is pass it on.

Keep it up mate.....that's the spirit!!

xpod
September 16th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks......OFF back to loiter about that "beginners place"....

I`ll STILL be there even when i am no longer just a "psuedo pc expert"...
..OK..."sudo"

_simon_
January 1st, 2007, 10:06 AM
So comments in the gallery add to the post count?

That would explain why people are leaving me blank comments then!

d3v1ant_0n3
January 3rd, 2007, 05:24 AM
It IS kinda annoying- I like to follow the gallery (and post there)- You constantly see old desktops being dragged up and blankly rated, as well as uniform ratings being given to desktops.

Can't the 'Quick Rating' be disabled? I do love the gallery, but people should at least comment on why they're giving something a particular rating.... and yes, btw, I know it's just another bit of fun, not a contest or anything:p

Ben Sprinkle
January 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM

Aye to that and a bottle o' rum. :twisted: