PDA

View Full Version : *braces for lighting to strike him*

Brunellus
September 15th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Maybe it's time to set up a Windows forum in the "other OS talk" area?

panickedthumb
September 15th, 2006, 03:05 PM
*krakathoom!*

Actually, maybe you're right. We have OSX after all. And we've been getting more and more Windows questions lately.

Brunellus
September 15th, 2006, 03:28 PM
*krakathoom!*

Actually, maybe you're right. We have OSX after all. And we've been getting more and more Windows questions lately.
well, having OSX makes sense, since it's also unix-like. (wonder if any HP-UX, AIX, IRIX, or SCO users read these forums, too).

I should say that while we could tolearate the usual "look what this geezer did to windows" posts in a new Windows forum, we should make it clear that the primary function of such a forum would be to discuss Windows/Linux compatibility/interoperability questions--and to refer windows-only technical questions to more relevant communities.

MetalMusicAddict
September 15th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I think its a good idea for interoperability and quick questions. If it too involved there is always NeoWin. :)

matthew
September 15th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I'm for it.

Can anyone think of a better way to prove that Ubuntu users are kind, caring people than to reach out to those less fortunate than us with compassion and concern? This is Linux for Human Beings, let's show some humanity toward those in need.

Those who are secure do not need to feel threatened by the presence of others who disagree with them. :)

That said, I won't stand for any flame wars. :grin:

Klaidas
September 15th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I agree, you really should set up a Windows forum.

KiwiNZ
September 15th, 2006, 11:01 PM
it gets my yes vote

John.Michael.Kane
September 16th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I'm all for the friendly open nature of the forums.let it rip.

Note:Those the threads should remain brush/arson fire free.

xpod
September 16th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Lots of people still use windows and\or dualoot with it and there seems to be a lot of windows related questions....asked them myself(sorry:D )

A dedicated forum would be good for all us "ive killed windows" lot...

Just my 2 bob`s worth......I had to go to "other" forums for help with my recent calamity and it just was`nt the same:biggrin:

Klaidas
September 16th, 2006, 04:02 PM
A dedicated forum would be good for all us "ive killed windows" lot...

Hmmm... Let the flamewars begin! :)

*just kidding*

xpod
September 16th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Whatever do you mean?:-\"

Klaidas
September 16th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I mean that I'm waiting for those "Win suck" threads to be able to fla^H^H^H discuss Linux and Windows.

hoagie
September 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Great idea, I vote yes since we will prove that ubuntu is friendly to everyone :-\" Die windows die!!!!:-\"

xpod
September 16th, 2006, 10:49 PM
LOL...i ONLY put it back on the pc last week cause the missus demanded it of me...she only did that to see me squirm knowing i did`nt have an xp cd.She dont even use any of the things,thats the best of it!

So xp sits there with nothing on it bar ALL the mandatory security apps i had to chase down doing absolutely nothing bar take up valuable room.

YES...you better believe a windows forum would be good:twisted:

TLE
September 18th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I'd say go for it. I think that having a Windoze forum fits nicely with tha warmnth and friendlyness *A jipsy jumps up an starts to play the violin* that is this community. I know it sounds a bit corny but I do mean it.

K.Mandla
September 19th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Same here. It'll probably need policed, but I'm for it. The combined expertise level of the forum contributors would be at least as impressive as the Microsoft forums. And we're much nicer. ;)

Ziox
September 19th, 2006, 04:51 AM
+1 to in favor of adding a Windows Forum

Dr. C
September 19th, 2006, 05:08 AM
I am in favor of a WIndows sub-forum since there are many legitimate interoperability issues. For example

1) Networking Linux and Windows computers, Samba, having Ubuntu perform functions such acting as a Windows Domain Controller, WINS Server etc.
2) Variants of 1) where Windows is run in a VM under VMware, Parallels, Win4Lin etc on an Ubuntu host.
3) Dual booting installation issues etc.
4) WINE application installation issues etc.

These type of issues require an understanding of both Linux and Windows. I do belive that this will benefit the community in more ways than one.

ubuntu27
September 19th, 2006, 07:10 AM
I'm afraid that if we allow to add many other OS subforum, this forum will not be a Ubuntu forum anymore, more like Technical/General Computer Forum.

Klaidas
September 19th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I'm afraid that if we allow to add many other OS subforum, this forum will not be a Ubuntu forum anymore, more like Technical/General Computer Forum.

Don't fear. It's Ubuntufurums, which has a cafe subforum, in which there's a oster os talk forum, where it would be located. It won't eat you :)

Or will it?..

nalmeth
September 19th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Splendid idea.

(I see some dark clouds coming, but we'll weather the storm)

Brunellus
September 19th, 2006, 07:14 PM
not a big deal. I'm proposing that it be opened in "other os talk," and that the scope of it be limited, generally, to linux/windows compatibility and interoperability issues.

nalmeth
September 19th, 2006, 07:19 PM
not a big deal. I'm proposing that it be opened in "other os talk," and that the scope of it be limited, generally, to linux/windows compatibility and interoperability issues.
Well, you could let it grow as much as it wants to no? What's wrong with a community forum where non-ubuntu users come around anyway? The Cafe area isn't strictly for Ubuntu or even linux talk, people might come just for discussion, and find out about all the great free software. :eek:

Brunellus
September 19th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Well, you could let it grow as much as it wants to no? What's wrong with a community forum where non-ubuntu users come around anyway? The Cafe area isn't strictly for Ubuntu or even linux talk, people might come just for discussion, and find out about all the great free software. :eek:
server resources aren't unlimited (as we've recently seen). As I see it, our first priority is to ubuntu users. Then to Linux users. Then to UNIX users. Then to everybody else.

nalmeth
September 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM
server resources aren't unlimited (as we've recently seen). As I see it, our first priority is to ubuntu users. Then to Linux users. Then to UNIX users. Then to everybody else.
Sure but it won't be ballooning that fast. Nonetheless, I think a section devoted to Windows-Linux issues is an excellent idea. I just see it growing beyond that in time.

K.Mandla
September 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Could we look forward to this anytime soon, or would it appear when the forums shift for Edgy?

Danni
September 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM
I'm all for it- I need to ask questions on why my partner's XP computer can't access my Samba shares but the other Kubuntu box can...