PDA

View Full Version : euphemism

beercz
September 14th, 2006, 11:15 PM
A bit of light relief.

Euphemisms are words or phrases that are used to make something sound better than it actually is. See http://www.berghuis.co.nz/abiator/rdg/euphemismhelp.html

Quite often these can be applied to job titles. Here are a few amusing examples:

Dustmen are 'waste disposal operatives'
Ice-cream men are 'travelling sales persons'
Sales representatives are 'account managers' or 'business development managers'

And my favourite (so far) is:
'Vision technician' - a window cleaner!

More please.

skymt
September 15th, 2006, 12:31 AM
"Microsoft Works"

Thank you, and good night.

anil_robo
September 15th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Government extortion of money from its citizens = *Social Security*
Limited Debit Card = *Secure Credit Card*
Go broke saving money = *Sale*
Tax + shipping + handling = always equals your *discount savings*

Of course, US only! Where else?

maniacmusician
September 15th, 2006, 12:40 AM
"Microsoft Works"

Thank you, and good night.
oO that's more of an oxymoron....

nalmeth
September 15th, 2006, 03:26 AM
I'm a Zamboni driver, but in light of being called a 'rink-rat', I call myself an 'Arena Facililty Technician' :biggrin:

henriquemaia
September 15th, 2006, 04:12 AM
"It's not pinin', it's passed on! This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace, if you hadn't nailed it to the perch it would be pushing up the daisies! It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! This is an ex-parrot!"

xhaan
September 15th, 2006, 04:17 AM
"It's not pinin', it's passed on! This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace, if you hadn't nailed it to the perch it would be pushing up the daisies! It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! This is an ex-parrot!"

lollerdelollerdelol :lol: