PDA

View Full Version : Yea for Hoary!

word_virus
April 11th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Just enjoyed a nice, painless, dist-upgrade to Hoary! Followed the instructions in the release notes and everything seems to be working just fine. Thank you thank you thank you to the Ubuntu team for truly making "Linux for human beings"!

poofyhairguy
April 11th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Just enjoyed a nice, painless, dist-upgrade to Hoary! Followed the instructions in the release notes and everything seems to be working just fine. Thank you thank you thank you to the Ubuntu team for truly making "Linux for human beings"!

Good. Glad to here Hoary upgrades well. I clean installed just to see the new installer.

defkewl
April 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Wouldn't it be better if it has graphical installer? Just a thought.

sas
April 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Wouldn't it be better if it has graphical installer? Just a thought.
graphical installer is aimed to be in the next version breezy badger

escuchamezz
April 11th, 2005, 05:08 PM
sdf

gordyt
April 11th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I would like to second what word_virus posted at the beginning of this thread. I downloaded and installed 5.0.4 this weekend on a rather generic x86 box that I use as an experimental platform. The installation we fast and very painless. Hardware detection was flawless. I haven't used Gnome in a while (I run KDE at work) and am enjoying it very much.

Kudos to the Ubuntu team for their fine work. I'm passing the word along to all my Linux friends and just finished making a contribution to Ubuntu to help with their continuing efforts.

Regards,

--gordon

jdodson
April 11th, 2005, 06:30 PM
graphical installer is aimed to be in the next version breezy badger

no its not. they are planning to put a usplash(grapical boot screen) in place, however(according to dev posts recently) there are no plans to include a graphical installer in breezy. the reason is because the text based installer is already new and they want to focus on that for the time being.

seriously though, how many times to do you install ubuntu? the text based installer is perfectly functional.

jdodson
April 11th, 2005, 06:31 PM
wicked release, i can't wait fa da next version, windows xp is still da wickedest

windows xp is **EDIT ** "Not What I Would Use" ** END EDIT**, five out of five SATA drives during install cant be wrong!

mike998
April 11th, 2005, 07:22 PM
windows xp is lame, five out of five SATA drives during install cant be wrong!

psssst - Don't feed the trolls! [-X :razz:

carlc
April 11th, 2005, 07:54 PM
text based installer is perfectly functional

Amen! I see no reason for a graphical installer. Ubuntu is one of the smoothest installs that I have seen.

jdodson
April 11th, 2005, 08:35 PM

good call :-#

escuchamezz
April 11th, 2005, 10:02 PM

:twisted: :wink:

poofyhairguy
April 11th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Hip Hip Hoary!!!!

wondering_jew
April 12th, 2005, 12:51 AM
I have been using hoary for at least a couple of months, but after the official release i did a dist-upgrade and the seg faults I use to have when i tried to run programs like xmms and tux-racer banished and they now work fine :). I actually can't say I have any signifigant problems right now and considering that my computer is almost 4 years old ubuntu works amazingly well.

defkewl
April 12th, 2005, 05:02 AM
wicked release, i can't wait fa da next version, windows xp is still da wickedest
Agree with you mate. Haha. I uninstall my Hoary because there's too much to do since it is not really out of the box distro.

professor_chaos
April 12th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Dito, just as was said, how many times do you install?? Once (hopefully).

No need to focus attention on creating the install into eyecandy. Focus on more important things.

I found the install very user friendly and didn't see any need for graphics.