PDA

View Full Version : Favorite CD/DVD Burner app

radiojef
September 14th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Hey, Newbie question here. What is your favorite 'Nero-like' CD/DVD burning app? I mainly want to burn vcd's and data.

Thanks!

DoktorSeven
September 14th, 2006, 01:47 AM
k3b. Best GUI cd recording application on any platform, hands down.

%hMa@?b<C
September 14th, 2006, 01:48 AM
k3b, it's in the repos, it's a KDE proggram, but it runs just fine under GNOME.

maniacmusician
September 14th, 2006, 03:10 AM
^ditto.

radiojef
September 14th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Ok, I like it. Thanks. One problem. I need to burn some AVIs...

Is there a codec package i can install or does k3b not bother?

w00dchaz
February 24th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Got k3b (in gnome) and it works great for data cds, but it can't convert mp3 to wav. Says "unsupported format." A friend of mine says he has used it to make audio CDs from mp3s with this program before. Any ideas?

w00dchaz
February 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Got k3b (in gnome) and it works great for data cds, but it can't convert mp3 to wav. Says "unsupported format." A friend of mine says he has used it to make audio CDs from mp3s with this program before. Any ideas?

w00dchaz
February 24th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Never mind. I figured it out. Had to install libk3b2-mp3.

epimer
February 24th, 2007, 09:50 PM
k3b is proably my favourite app, too, but in trying to stick to GTK apps when in Gnome, I recently switched from Gnomebaker to Brasero. It's quite a simple program, but does what I want and does it well.

BarfBag
February 24th, 2007, 10:14 PM
K3b!

w00dchaz
February 24th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Didn't care for Gnomebaker. I thought it was clunky. Crashed on my first project so I uninstalled it.

slayerboy
February 24th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I think this is one of those questions you're probably going to end up getting a universal response, more than questions about which distro to use/which DE to use/which browser to use....

K3B just works. No doubt about it, it's one of the easiest to use. It's one of the reasons why Nero hasn't really been popular on Linux. It's one of the reasons why I don't want to go back to windows, among other things. K3B is the easiest CD/DVD burning tool I hae EVER used, in both Windows and Linux. Not to mention it has Lightscribe support in it already!

saracen
February 26th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Brasero (http://perso.orange.fr/bonfire/screenshot.htm) is what you want.
sudo apt-get install brasero

Adamant1988
February 26th, 2007, 05:40 AM
k3b. Best GUI cd recording application on any platform, hands down.

This is completely FTW

pmj
February 26th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Gnomebaker

tbroderick
February 26th, 2007, 08:09 AM
cdrecord

yabbadabbadont
February 26th, 2007, 09:05 AM
/dons asbestos undies

NeroLinux

Quillz
February 26th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I generally stick with K3b.

hizaguchi
February 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Brasero (http://perso.orange.fr/bonfire/screenshot.htm) is what you want.
sudo apt-get install brasero

I agree. K3b probably has more features, but I've not tried to do anything yet that Brasero couldn't handle with a much nicer interface.

mips
February 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM
K3b

happy-and-lost
February 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM
K3b's great if you want to do something tricky or obscure, but for every-day type burning Brasero wins hands down. It's light, nice to look at and easy to use.

mips
February 26th, 2007, 07:53 PM
K3b's great if you want to do something tricky or obscure, but for every-day type burning Brasero wins hands down. It's light, nice to look at and easy to use.

Kinda sounds like a Gnome ;)

FyreBrand
February 26th, 2007, 08:05 PM
K3b's great if you want to do something tricky or obscure, but for every-day type burning Brasero wins hands down. It's light, nice to look at and easy to use.I'm not really sure what you mean here. What is tricky and obscure?

When I use K3B I put the disc in and select the ISO. It let's me compare MD5sums. It tells me if I put a CDR in and try and burn a DVD-ISO.

When I burn data files to disc I just select the directories/files and burn them.

I don't see what is so obscure about that. I've never tried brasero but I have Xubuntu machines at work that I don't use K3B with. I will install Brasero on them and give it a whirl.

spockrock
February 26th, 2007, 08:15 PM
yeah I use k3b as well its the bees knees.

fuscia
February 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM
i just switched to brasero from k3b and love it, so far. one nice thing is that it doesn't bring my machine to a grinding halt while i'm using it.

hizaguchi
February 26th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I'm not really sure what you mean here. What is tricky and obscure?

K3b has alot of information on the screen at once. If you're used to it, then you know where everything that you generally use is, so you don't really notice. You just kind of ignore the stuff that doesn't matter to you, but everything that does matter to you is somewhere there on that screen. So it is very easy to use because it gives you easy access to all you need, but it is tricky at first because the sheer volume of information and options on the screen seem overwhelming.

Brasero takes all the stuff that alot of people don't care about and goes ahead and hides it, leaving you with just what matters visible. So the interface ends up less cluttered and nicer to look at, but some of the more advanced functionality is stuck in a menu somewhere for you to dig for if you need it. So it ends up less overwhelming, but for unusual/strange uses it can be a little more trouble to use.

I like Brasero because I've never needed a function that isn't clearly visible, so I get to enjoy the simple aesthetic without any downsides, but I'll admit that k3b is probably technically a better application overall because it offers more to the people who do need it.

geovino
March 7th, 2007, 01:11 AM
I used K3b all the time on PCLOS, but I've lately been enjoying Ubuntu 6.10 but when I try to copy a cd with K3b I get an error that the cd can't eject so it cancels out. How do I fix that?

..... I just installed and tried to copy the 6.10 live cd with Brasero and it said that the blank disc wasn't big enough! I've copied this before. Why can't K3b or Brasero make a copy of this Ubuntu Live cd?

AndyCooll
March 7th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Nothing beats K3B. Gnomebaker and Brasero are ok, however they currently fall some way short of K3B.

:cool:

davebgimp
March 25th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Brasero just saved my day!

stokedfish
March 25th, 2007, 02:01 AM
K3B, obviously.