PDA

View Full Version : Sun JDK in Extras

jdong
April 11th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Just would like to tell everyone that Sun's JDK (Java Development Kit) is available under Hoary Extras / Restricted [STAGING].

gbusse
April 11th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Thank you!!!

alexp
April 12th, 2005, 01:26 PM
jdong,

maybe it would be good to coordinate efforts with this guy (girl?) (cpinto@ubuntujava.yimports.com), who provides Ubuntu java packages (JRE/SDK) for both 1.4 and 1.5 versions.

Regards,
Alexander

jdong
April 12th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Umm, is there any decent reason why one'd like Java 1.4? I can arrange for that!

alexp
April 13th, 2005, 07:37 AM
jdong,

yes -- for a) java developers (http://westcoast1.us.mirrors.ninjas.org/echo23/domopers_hi.mov) and b) users of commercial software. I need both SDKs, mostly for testing purposes and because the --target=1,4 switch doesn't produce 100% compatible code in all cases (especially when the users run it on non-standard JVMs). Furthermore I need both JREs: besides the aforementioned testing purposes, Poseidon for UML (and Together Designer and...) do not run on the 1.5 platform (heck, they even refuse to install). I think this applies to most commercial products -- and this almost certainly won't change in the near (6 months to 1 year) future.

However, the installation itself shouldn't pose much of a problem; the maintainer mentioned above installs them to /usr/lib/sun-j2{re|sdk}-<version> and creates symlinks to the newer one. This isn't a perfect solution (a debconf tool to switch between them would be nice), but it seems to work.

I'd be glad to help (especially with the debconf stuff), but I have no idea how it works. If one could point me to some docs, I'd have a look at it. But I don't think this dpkg-reconfigure switching of the active JVM is blocker; merely nice to have and with low priority.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Alexander

jdong
April 13th, 2005, 10:42 AM
ok, I'll get them packaged :)

It's a trivial task.

asimon
April 13th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Cool and thanks!

gbusse
April 13th, 2005, 04:21 PM
John,

Thanks again for packaging up the Sun-JDK. I finally got around to testing it on a fresh install of Hoary and have noticed the following issues with some symbolic links created during the install:

/etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so
/etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so

both point to:

/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

and are broken as the file "libjavaplugin_oji.so" actually exists at:

/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

also:

/etc/alternatives/netscape-javaplugin.so

points to:

/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/plugin/i386/ns4/libjavaplugin.so

as far as I can tell this file does not exist at all.

It is easy enough for me to fix the firefox-javaplugin.so symbolic link after the install, I just thought you would like to know.

Thanks again for all your work on the backports and extras.

Gord

jdong
April 15th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Ok, that would be an upstream bug in the "java-package" program, which automatically created these Java package backports... Funny thing how my JRE works fine. Is it just the JDK that's affected?

BTW, Java 1.4 has been assigned this task: https://sourceforge.net/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=114393&group_id=125877&group_project_id=42440

gbusse
April 15th, 2005, 04:55 PM
John,

Not sure if only the JDK is affected or not as I have not tried the JRE. I will see if I can test out the JRE as soon as I find a free moment.

Gord

RastaMahata
April 20th, 2005, 09:15 PM
thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou.

mrbass
April 20th, 2005, 10:21 PM
this isn't related to this guys ubuntu java is it? I'm guessing not.
http://ubuntujava.yimports.com/

jdong
April 21st, 2005, 12:32 AM
No; we're not related :)

RastaMahata
April 21st, 2005, 02:10 AM
does the sun-j2sdk package add plugins to firefox?

jdong
April 21st, 2005, 02:15 AM
Well, uhh, it was meant to be that way.

However, apparently there's a bug (see a few posts above) with a bad symlink.

In short: install the JRE with the JDK.

RastaMahata
April 21st, 2005, 02:19 AM
aight, Just finished installing jdk (I can compile again! goodby blackdown or whatever it was called)...

I'll install jre now. I'll report as soon as I can. ;)

Rasta out

RastaMahata
April 21st, 2005, 05:30 AM
Well, they didnt add themselves automagically, so I just had to do these 2 steps:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/j2re1.5-sun/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.soThat simple...
I hope that you can do something about it, so users dont have to do this :P

Thanks!

Tomcat_
April 21st, 2005, 09:16 AM
Can anybody of you please help me with the installation of this? I don't really know what's wrong... I have

deb http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports hoary-extras main universe multiverse restricted

in my sources.list (and apt-get update'd) but I can't seem to find the package. The only one concerning Java I see is sun-j2re1.5 which I already installed through the hoary after-install helper.

Where exactly is the JDK? Another repository?

Thanks in advance.

blyzzz
April 21st, 2005, 01:14 PM
its in the staging-area i think

deb http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports/ hoary-extras-staging main restricted universe multiverse

thund3rman
April 21st, 2005, 02:50 PM
When to the promotion from staging to stable backports?

Sorry for the anoyance, but I'm pretty thrilled with sun jdk being avalailable in a repository... ;)

And above all... Thanks for the good work! ;)

Tomcat_
April 21st, 2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks! Worked with hoary-extras-staging.

If you could also package the j2sdk 1.4 that would be amazing. I need it for a bigger uni assignment. But it's also low priority for you, I can also use the installer from Sun. :)

nanaban
April 26th, 2005, 04:32 PM
In short: install the JRE with the JDK.

What does that mean? I installed jre using ubuntu-geek's auto script for the noobs. What do I need to look out for when I install j2sdk? Should I uninstall the jre first?

RastaMahata
April 29th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Hey, jdong, when will jsdk be out of the staging area? :S

[ joda]Confused I am[/joda]

cpinto
May 1st, 2005, 03:24 AM
Hi,

I'm the maintainer of the UbuntuJava project and I was a little bit amazed when I found out that you guys are also providing the packages.

I remember a few months ago proposing these packages to be included in the Backports project and you dismissed the request stating that the licence strictly prohibited it.

If you're serious about distributing the JDK, etc. for the forseeable future, please bear in mind that in no way you will ever be able to distribute any competing product (gcj, kaffe and the GNU Classpath come into mind).

Anyway, if you're really interested I'd still like to propose a merge of these projects since I have a lot of stuff planned for it I just haven't found the free time necessary to go through all that stuff (for example, building complete packages for Eclipse, JBoss, a Java enabled version of OpenOffice.org 2.0, etc.) and it'd be really nice to have someone else to help/discuss these ideas.

Cheers,
Celso

PS: I'm a guy :P

jdong
May 1st, 2005, 02:47 PM
I'm just distributing it for now, because after 4 or so reinstalls on my desktop, I'm ticked that I have to do so much MANUAL after-install configuration.

Whether Java on Backports is long-term, I'll have to think about it. Most likely, this'll be the case, and I'll make a "java" section to hold it :)

gbusse
May 1st, 2005, 07:21 PM
Anyway, if you're really interested I'd still like to propose a merge of these projects since I have a lot of stuff planned for it I just haven't found the free time necessary to go through all that stuff (for example, building complete packages for Eclipse, JBoss, a Java enabled version of OpenOffice.org 2.0, etc.) and it'd be really nice to have someone else to help/discuss these ideas.

I, for one, would like to put my vote in for a merge. I think Celso has some great ideas and being able to install all of this Java stuff using an easy apt-get command would definitely make my life a lot easier.

Gord

gregorian21
May 7th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Hi Guys,
A n00b question for you.

I installed the JRE ( 1.5.0_01-b08 ) as described in the UbuntuGuide when I upgraded my system to Hoary. I am planning on installing the J2SDK from the backports reporsitory.

Is it necessary that I 'uninstall ' my previously installed JRE before I install the J2SK (I'm assuming the J2SDK package includes a JRE). If so could someone point me to the procedure?
If not, will there be any problems running two versions of the JRE on a single system.
Thanks

jdong
May 7th, 2005, 11:59 PM
You don't need to reinstall -- the Guide's method is pretty solid, and won't conflict with UBP's JDK.

RastaMahata
May 8th, 2005, 01:00 AM
You don't need to reinstall -- the Guide's method is pretty solid, and won't conflict with UBP's JDK.
Hey jdong, I still had to
sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.soTo get the firefox plugin running :/

jdong
May 8th, 2005, 02:00 AM
The UBP JRE automagically configures Firefox plugins. There was a bug in the Java packager that caused JDK to have an invalid plugin path, as described in this thread.

RastaMahata
May 8th, 2005, 02:35 AM
im sorry to be such a PITA, but is this going to be fixed in the future? :(

jdong
May 8th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Eventually I'll use an updated java packager to build Java packages, but currently there's simply no motivation / strong reason to do so :)

XDevHald
May 12th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Just would like to tell everyone that Sun's JDK (Java Development Kit) is available under Hoary Extras / Restricted [STAGING].

I'm not exactly sure why I'm not able to get the staging, but could you or someone post the deb for the sources list?

Edit$ ~ Ok, got it :)

mohaham
May 12th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the good work..

crazeinc
May 19th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Hello, I added the staging area to my sources.list and did apt-get update, but I can't find the jdk in Synaptic. Is there something I've missed?

Thanks.

jdong
May 19th, 2005, 11:41 PM
It's called sun-j2sdk1.5

Sorry about the weird naming scheme -- Debian chose it (?!?)

crazeinc
May 20th, 2005, 05:34 AM
It's called sun-j2sdk1.5

Sorry about the weird naming scheme -- Debian chose it (?!?)

wasabi
July 12th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Can somebody explain to me how you can legally distribute this? Or are you distributing it against the terms of the license?

nestorgm
August 27th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I think this is the right place to ask for help, Im confused. I'd like to install java sdk 5 on my ubuntu box. I found someting as java-packages, so i have /usr/share/java-package/sun-j2re1.5 path with install and remove scripts, beside some others. Further more I found your sun-j2sdk1.5 package and the installer jdk-1_5_0_04-linux-i586.bin from sun repository.

What I dont know is if the package from sun does not work on ubuntu, if java-package needs more work to install after apt-get, if sun-j2sdk1.5 needs something more after install ...

Please enlight me about

Thanks in advance

jdong
August 27th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Can somebody explain to me how you can legally distribute this? Or are you distributing it against the terms of the license?

It's permitted, as long as you don't distribute a competing Java implementation. And since Backports (which has GNU Java 4.0) and Extras are two separate projects, only sharing the same server and developers, it's fine.

incinerator
August 28th, 2005, 02:08 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JavaPackageBuildNewVersions

I think this is the right place to ask for help, Im confused. I'd like to install java sdk 5 on my ubuntu box. I found someting as java-packages, so i have /usr/share/java-package/sun-j2re1.5 path with install and remove scripts, beside some others. Further more I found your sun-j2sdk1.5 package and the installer jdk-1_5_0_04-linux-i586.bin from sun repository.

What I dont know is if the package from sun does not work on ubuntu, if java-package needs more work to install after apt-get, if sun-j2sdk1.5 needs something more after install ...

Please enlight me about

Thanks in advance

zacman
August 28th, 2005, 06:02 AM
I installed with apt-get but i don't have the java command in my path... what should I do?

incinerator
August 28th, 2005, 11:30 AM
That is very odd, as the java binaries are installed in /usr/bin/
A guess would be that you have installed sun-j2sdk but not sun-j2re.

zacman
August 28th, 2005, 04:07 PM
I definitely have both packages installed. I even have the firefox plugin working, but no java command. Any ideas?

zacman
August 28th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Never mind, got it working

Thanks