PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea.

poofyhairguy
April 11th, 2005, 01:13 AM
I have a new goal which I'm going to work towards. Personally it seems that the biggest problem with Ubuntu is that if your are on dialup it takes a lot of downloading to get things like pluggins, codecs, programs that are in the universe, muliverse, etc. I noticed that the current Hoary dvd is only 2.7 gigs big:

http://torrent.ubuntu.com/dvd/20050407.3/

I want to find a way to make a larger "special edition" Hoary DVD that will include that stuff along with the the regular 2.7 gigs. I will start researching this today. If anyone has any leads, some links or some knowledge that would hlep please share it..

bored2k
April 11th, 2005, 01:17 AM
One question, don't you think it would be just as hard -or harder- for dialup users to download a 8.3GB DL disc? Or even a 4.6GB disc? Or is it that you plan to distribute your disc? (having in mind that, should you include Sun's jre and w32codecs and unrar-nonfree I believe it's not legally OK for you to do so -correct me if wrong).

TravisNewman
April 11th, 2005, 01:25 AM
It's not legally OK to do so, but the question is, is poofyhairguy a big enough target for people to go after?

8.3 gig DL disc is insane. First off, the media is expensive as crap-- it'd be much better to use 2 separate 4 gig images, but my entire Ubuntu installation, including a lot of stuff I've downloaded, AND half-life 2, is only a little over the size of a 4.3 gig dvd. an 8.3 gig dvd is pointless IMO

I do like the idea, man-with-the-poofy-hair. You might wanna talk to jdong about including a snapshot of the backports, and it'd also be nice to have a deb built from CVS of Cedega. Too bad you can't do that with Crossover.
The question you have to ask is, how far away from Ubuntu's philosophy of Free Software Only do you want to go? NVIDIA and ATI proprietary drivers would be nice to include, but it would violate Ubuntu's philosophy-- however, that doesn't restrict you from doing so, since Ubuntu is itself Free Software.

bored2k
April 11th, 2005, 01:29 AM
It's not legally OK to do so, but the question is, is poofyhairguy a big enough target for people to go after?
True.

So, is there a wiki somewhere on how to make custom install discs [not the live ones]? Guadalinex will be doing this, thus they found a way to do them.

TravisNewman
April 11th, 2005, 01:38 AM
uuuhhh yeah somewhere. *L* I've seen it once before, I think it was on the forums. Had it bookmarked because I wanted to do something custom a while back, but I had a major malfunction (because I needed Windows temporarily, and it wacked my partition table) and I lost everything on that drive. So now I have no clue where it is ;)

Yukonjack
April 11th, 2005, 01:48 AM
If any of you folks interested check out this site
SpinRite6 (http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm)

Very good at getting data of hosed hard-drive, works good with linux also. One catch it's not free but when it comes to data it's worth the price. Saved my butt a few time from exploding hard-drives.

bored2k
April 11th, 2005, 01:54 AM
If any of you folks interested check out this site
SpinRite6 (http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm)

Very good at getting data of hosed hard-drive, works good with linux also. One catch it's not free but when it comes to data it's worth the price. Saved my butt a few time from exploding hard-drives.
This thread is about creating custom Ubuntu discs, where does SpinRite stand in all this ?

Yukonjack
April 11th, 2005, 01:57 AM
This thread is about creating custom Ubuntu discs, where does SpinRite stand in all this ?

That was for panickedthumb in his post about loosing data.

poofyhairguy
April 11th, 2005, 02:50 AM
One question, don't you think it would be just as hard -or harder- for dialup users to download a 8.3GB DL disc? Or even a 4.6GB disc? Or is it that you plan to distribute your disc?

I don't intend to force people to download these disks. I want to make a 4.6 (or less) disk that can be distributed by motivated people.

(having in mind that, should you include Sun's jre and w32codecs and unrar-nonfree I believe it's not legally OK for you to do so -correct me if wrong).

If I can find a place that its legal to host that stuff to host the DVD, then I will. Well, probably not Sun's Java, I would pick a Java that is a deb. I want to make Deb disk for apt-get.

RastaMahata
April 11th, 2005, 03:20 AM
I don't intend to force people to download these disks. I want to make a 4.6 (or less) disk that can be distributed by motivated people.

If I can find a place that its legal to host that stuff to host the DVD, then I will. Well, probably not Sun's Java, I would pick a Java that is a deb. I want to make Deb disk for apt-get.
instead of doing a custom disk, why not a "power pack" disc or something along those lines. Like a repository disc, with some texts on it (like the FOSS disc in wintendo).

So the user gets this disk, opens it up on ubuntu, looks at a pretty html/prog thingy telling the user what this dvd has, and how to install. :P

Just giving ideas here

oddabe19
April 11th, 2005, 07:14 AM
8.3 gig DL disc is insane. First off, the media is expensive as crap-- .

I have to say it...

Crap is expensive? Geez... I would be a millionaire.
I could sell it. With the following options...
Take your pick... You have your choice...
1. Smooth release
2. Burns worse going out then going in.
3. Nutty.

UbuWu
April 11th, 2005, 12:32 PM
There is another thread with something similair...: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=22620
There is a nice list of stuff that should be on the disc ;-)

I think the biggest problem is still a place to host it...

TravisNewman
April 11th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I have to say it...

Crap is expensive? Geez... I would be a millionaire.
I could sell it. With the following options...
Take your pick... You have your choice...
1. Smooth release
2. Burns worse going out then going in.
3. Nutty.#-o

darkoptix
April 11th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I think this is a great idea. I am a person with dialup, and i personally think that getting a 8.6 or 4.7 gig iso off the4 net is not that difficult, if you have a nice friend to download it for you.
Now, without say a repository disc, a dialup user has trouble getting the list of dependancies, and files to download and using a broadband computer to download. Getting the a entrie respository is better and faster.

I'm totally with this idea.

muzza
April 12th, 2005, 03:57 AM
I have a friend who has broadband. It was the same friend that loaned me his just-paid-for Mandrake powerpack discs. I have tried and failed with Mandrake, but discovered Ubuntu. He still hasn't dipped his toes in yet.

So, to my question. My friend would be willing to download the repositories for me, but neither of us know how to do it or where to go.

He'll be using *******. A brief tutorial someone? Is it just a matter of going to a site, downloading a file(s) and burning a DVD?

poofyhairguy
April 12th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I'm totally with this idea.

Cool I'm trying to figure it out. If I can't make a DVD, I might settle for a CD with this stuff...