PDA

View Full Version : if Kde is doing this good what will happen with version 4

darkhatter
September 13th, 2006, 03:23 AM
http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/

before you read this article there are a few things you should know:

1) The author is not a fan-boy, but he does have a bias towards KDE.
2) Read the FULL article or don't post, its a good read anyway.
3) if you don't understand something, ask.
4) gnome does kind of bad in the test but he explains why
5) happy flaming

~Andrew~ over and out

BLTicklemonster
September 13th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Just a little while ago I installed kde and am in it now. (is this kubuntu?)

Man, talk about impressive!

darkhatter
September 13th, 2006, 03:30 AM
kde 4 is getting a big speed improvement and a new look, but the main work is going into app development, which I think is alot more important then loading in 3 seconds from login screen to desktop

chaosgeisterchen
September 13th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Hmh.. I seem to do things wrong. My KDE often uses 400Megs+ for basic usage :(

GeneralZod
September 13th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Hmh.. I seem to do things wrong. My KDE often uses 400Megs+ for basic usage :(

You're probably measuring it wrong. What are you using?

And results like this are why it really bugs me when people say KDE is "bloated" (often without giving any justification for it at all). It's such an annoying weasel-word that is obviously a perjorative but which means nothing at all and so is impossible to tackle.

DigitalDuality
September 13th, 2006, 05:10 PM
d

Brunellus
September 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM
KDE version 4: Kuatro!

jdong
September 13th, 2006, 05:59 PM
With recent distros, I've found myself agreeing with the OP's link -- that KDE is no worse -- sometimes even better -- at resource management than GNOME. Its performance is just as acceptable on older hardware as GNOME, too.

I do most of my performance measurements as a "how-does-it-feel" type of measurement. I don't believe in what "free" or "top" or "ps" has to tell me. For whatever reason, it just doesn't sound plausible. For example, as I sit here typing in Firefox under KDE with quite some panel applets running, gnome-system-monitor tells me that I am using a total of 221MB user memory, 0MB swap. Summing up the Memory field in the system monitor, it claims I'm using 350MB of "memory". Summing up the RSS field (which is supposed to be more accurate), I am using 185MB memory.

By this measurement, if I reboot now with "mem=192", I should be choked and swapping like mad. But I'm not. My system is still happily going, with no swap used.

I don't ask questions :)

P.S. Back in the older days (GCC 3.x and lower), I did notice KDE being significantly slower than GNOME. Most say that is due to C++ being more poorly implemented than C, but that has been resolved in modern distributions. If you find an old Knoppix CD, you will too notice that KDE is a bit sluggish.

mips
September 13th, 2006, 06:32 PM
You can 'start' trying out KDE4 on Edgy Eft if you are keen.

jdong
September 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM
DISCLAIMER: Edgy "kde4" krash debs are really geared towards developers... it looks just like KDE3 right now, but 90% of apps don't work :)

mips
September 13th, 2006, 07:00 PM
DISCLAIMER: Edgy "kde4" krash debs are really geared towards developers... it looks just like KDE3 right now, but 90% of apps don't work :)

Thanks for the disclaimer, I should have mentioned it.

darkhatter
September 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I was scared this was going to turn into kde vs gnome thread. I am stilling waiting for the day I can run kde on top of windows xp :mrgreen: (I think they were talking about something like that)

jdong
September 13th, 2006, 07:42 PM
That's likely to happen in KDE4 -- because qt4 for Windows is finally under a GPL license (prior, it was proprietary)

croak77
September 13th, 2006, 07:55 PM
That's likely to happen in KDE4 -- because qt4 for Windows is finally under a GPL license (prior, it was proprietary)

I hope none of the current developers on going to be involved in porting KDE to Windows. I hope they will foucus their energy on KDE not porting.

jdong
September 13th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I don't think it'll be KDE developers doing the porting -- more likely a group of others interested in maintaining a win32 port, like the kde-cygwin guys or something.

omns
September 13th, 2006, 09:01 PM

chaosgeisterchen
September 13th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Great outlooks!

I'd love to see KDE4 finally as a beautiful, fast and (most important) stable desktop environment. Stability is the main issue Kubuntu has to focus on. System 'krashes' are very convenient now.. could be a problem while using KDE 3.5.4, which is not integrated too good into Dapper.

Brunellus
September 13th, 2006, 10:39 PM
the kde4 on mac effort is also quite promising, although just an alpha release at this stage

http://ranger.users.finkproject.org/kde/
great. maKintosh?

chaosgeisterchen
September 13th, 2006, 10:56 PM
seems so.. KDE will be the utmost portable desktop environment in the future I assume, as it shares graphic libraries with MacOS and Vista.

Lord Illidan
September 13th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Lol about the Makintosh..

I'd like to see better Gnome apps too...Amarok > everything else...and K3B > everything else...and imho Konsole + Yakuake > Gnometerminal, etc, etc..

I wish I could run Amarok on Windows...hehe...but who cares as long as I can run it on my fav os.

chaosgeisterchen
September 13th, 2006, 11:19 PM
You could at least install KDE while working for your boss in your office if you're _not_ allowed to use Linux at all.

KDE instead of Aero could be kool

atrus123
September 13th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I cringe whenever I see anyone talk about how great it would be to see some important Linux/BSD/GNU app ported over to Windows or Apple.

If you like KDE, use it on Linux or BSD. Don't waste your time porting it to one of those big, closed source operating systems.

chaosgeisterchen
September 13th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Hey, it'll be the task of the Win-Users wanting to port it, it's free for all to be ported, OSS can be ported if someone wants to cope with the struggle of coping with it.

It will certainly run best under it's native backend - Linux/BSD.

KDE accomodating to some Win-Kernel? I can hardly imagine.

omns
September 14th, 2006, 01:16 AM

Rhapsody
September 14th, 2006, 06:01 AM
KDE 4 certainly looks good to me. A lighter, faster desktop environment can definitely not be considered a bad thing.

chaosgeisterchen
September 14th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Still, I'm in doubt about terms of stability...

Sushi
September 14th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I cringe whenever I see anyone talk about how great it would be to see some important Linux/BSD/GNU app ported over to Windows or Apple.

If you like KDE, use it on Linux or BSD. Don't waste your time porting it to one of those big, closed source operating systems.

Well, it does have one benefit... You can get Windows-users accustomed to those great KDE-apps on Windows. Once that is done, chanhing the underlying OS from Windows to Linux is an easy task to do, since the apps stay the same.