PDA

View Full Version : SkyOS anyone???

saracen
September 13th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Whoa. I just found out that SkyOS (http://www.skyos.org) is its own independent OS not based on the linux kernel. I never really looked into it before, but I always thought it was just another GNU/linux distribution.

Firstly, I have to say, wow. So this dude pretty much created a whole OS from scratch. No linux kernel, no X-windows, nada. That's pretty impressive. And the fact that it's POSIX compliant means porting GNU/Linux apps is easy.

But I'm wondering... why? Why go through all that trouble and also why keep it closed source? It must have been a crazy amount of work to implement and if it really is not violating the GPL, then the author(s) must have written a TON of code. And it's free... as in free beer and not free speech.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind SkyOS? I tried looking around the website and on wikipedia, but no real info there.

skymt
September 13th, 2006, 02:09 AM
That's pretty funny. I go to the SkyOS homepage, and what's the headline? "USB support has been implemented"! :rolleyes: That's what you get for developing an operating system all by yourself.

fritz_monroe
September 13th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I thought that it was funny that while some of the write ups say it's free, if you click on the Get SkyOS link, you can pay $30 to join their Beta program. How's that free as in beer?

maniacmusician
September 13th, 2006, 02:22 AM
mm yeah, whats up with that...

saracen
September 13th, 2006, 02:31 AM
I thought that it was funny that while some of the write ups say it's free, if you click on the Get SkyOS link, you can pay $30 to join their Beta program. How's that free as in beer?

Good point. Didn't know you had to pay because like you said, a lot of the writeups said it was free. It definitely used to be free, but it seems like now he's definitely wanting to go commercial with it.

I'm thinking... what the heck is goin on here? Another closed-source OS will surely be plagued with all the windows security and other issues. So why do it? Does anyone have any idea why he thinks what he is doing is any better than putting together a distribution of his choosing? What grievances does he have with GNU/Linux that would drive him to go through all the trouble of writing a whole new OS from scratch?

prizrak
September 13th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Whoa. I just found out that SkyOS (http://www.skyos.org) is its own independent OS not based on the linux kernel. I never really looked into it before, but I always thought it was just another GNU/linux distribution.

Firstly, I have to say, wow. So this dude pretty much created a whole OS from scratch. No linux kernel, no X-windows, nada. That's pretty impressive. And the fact that it's POSIX compliant means porting GNU/Linux apps is easy.

But I'm wondering... why? Why go through all that trouble and also why keep it closed source? It must have been a crazy amount of work to implement and if it really is not violating the GPL, then the author(s) must have written a TON of code. And it's free... as in free beer and not free speech.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind SkyOS? I tried looking around the website and on wikipedia, but no real info there.

No X? That's weird cuz the GUI looks like KDE. Also Windows is a POSIX compliant OS you don't see native Gnome support on it ;)

saracen
September 13th, 2006, 02:38 AM
No X? That's weird cuz the GUI looks like KDE. Also Windows is a POSIX compliant OS you don't see native Gnome support on it ;)

Nope, no X. It looks like KDE because it is using the Crystal icon set, with the permission of Everaldo who made them.

For more info read their FAQ here (http://www.skyos.org/?q=node/408).