PDA

View Full Version : Donate linux box to The Good will

hanzomon4
September 12th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I had an idea while visiting a Good will(charity retailer) of pre-installing and configuring an old p2 or 3 cpu ,I don't use, with Ubuntu.

I would add a newer hard drive, dvd drive, ethernet card, get multimedia setup, and include some kind of user manual; an easy to read user manual like the Ubuntu linux starter guide (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper).

Maybe setup some udev rules for an ipod to give it a consistant mount point.

I would install the mplayer-plugin v3.25 for streaming media. Install Exaile for music and VLC v8.5 for video. I thought about installing compiz and create a special xsession for xgl that could be used if the owners ever what to try it out.

I guess I could also setup alsa for polyaudio, and change some of the apps that launch when you insert a dvd or plugin an ipod. Would setting up a "new user" account with an easy password like "newuser" be a good idea?

Thats all I have thought up for now, if anyone has ideas let me know

maniacmusician
September 12th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I don't know exactly what good will would do with that...If it were me doing this, I would instead set it up for a homeless shelter and go hook it up for them so I know it goes right where I want it to.

Nice project though, kudos.

Omnios
September 12th, 2006, 07:44 PM
You might want to check with the Menatal Health Field in your are. They usually have associations etc that would be easy to set up for finding needy people. Associations are nice in that you can set the criteria and have them do the ground work

Bezmotivnik
September 12th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I don't know exactly what good will would do with that...
Where I live, they would simply refuse to take it. Seriously.

Getting rid of older equipment here in California has become a serious and expensive problem due to environmental laws. Places like Goodwill don't take old gear because they can't sell it and they have to pay to legally dispose of it.

maniacmusician
September 12th, 2006, 08:13 PM
i thought it might be something along those lines...

which is why I think it would be better to personally find a place that needs the computer, talk to the people there, and then hook it up for them.

sailor2001
September 13th, 2006, 05:22 PM
someplace noone ever thinks about.......a nursing home....no matter how old a person is, if they have their faculties, they can learn computing .. Personally I have taught an 87 year old lady and she took to it like candy.