PDA

View Full Version : driver for OKI B4100 printer

Easterly Wind
September 12th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Hi,

For all those owners of OKI B4100 printers and other lower models in B series, I composed a ppd file and attach it to this post.

I checked it works with Dapper and Breezy, might work with other distributions, doesn't work on FC5 (don't know why).

Basically, it's a heavily modified ppd for hp laserjet 6, and uses hpijs driver.

With the attached ppd you can use all OKI options, and you can set paper type, weight, 2 toner saver modes, tray/manual feed, etc.

With this ppd OKI prints at 600dpi. You can tell your printer to use 1200dpi too but hpijs doesn't support resolutions over 600dpi.

DON'T FORGET to switch off duplex printing in printer properties, otherwise each page you print will be followed by a blank one.

For those completely new to Ubuntu <like me :D >, download the attachment and double-click on it, then extract the .ppd file to a convenient location. Then go to System->Administration->Printing, Double-click on 'Add new printer', then follow instructions, when asked for printer model, click on 'install driver' and open your ppd file, then follow instructions again.

Donnw
January 13th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Hi

Thanks for the driver. I am very new to Linux and i am still trying to set up my computer to use it. I installed the driver as you described but when I go to print a document from openoffice the light on the printer flashes as though everything is Ok but it fails to continue printing. Have I forgoten to do something? The printer is connected by the parallel port not USB

Thanks

mintar
March 12th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Thank you a million times! This is the third time in the last 5 years that I try migrating to linux, and I think this time I'll make it. What I love about ubuntu is that there are people like you that make my life so much easier and less frustrating.

Driver works like a charm. :)

Cheers,
Martin

ScoobyP1
April 24th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Many thanks from me, too. Driver works perfectly under Ubuntu 7.04

jano32
May 14th, 2007, 11:31 AM
works great under debian (etch), thx :popcorn:

smajeon
July 10th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Wow, thanks so much. This was THE ONE THING that I'd been pulling my hair out about.

mikca
July 23rd, 2007, 07:56 AM
thank a lot! it works in Fedora 7

Miky

Dripbagulhos
November 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hi,

For all those owners of OKI B4100 printers and other lower models in B series, I composed a ppd file and attach it to this post.

I checked it works with Dapper and Breezy, might work with other distributions, doesn't work on FC5 (don't know why).

Basically, it's a heavily modified ppd for hp laserjet 6, and uses hpijs driver.

With the attached ppd you can use all OKI options, and you can set paper type, weight, 2 toner saver modes, tray/manual feed, etc.

With this ppd OKI prints at 600dpi. You can tell your printer to use 1200dpi too but hpijs doesn't support resolutions over 600dpi.

DON'T FORGET to switch off duplex printing in printer properties, otherwise each page you print will be followed by a blank one.

For those completely new to Ubuntu <like me :D >, download the attachment and double-click on it, then extract the .ppd file to a convenient location. Then go to System->Administration->Printing, Double-click on 'Add new printer', then follow instructions, when asked for printer model, click on 'install driver' and open your ppd file, then follow instructions again.

Thank you very much for the post. The driver works perfectly, except by two little issues:

1) I have a blank page at the end of every job with I can not prevent of being released,

2) Although I think this is an issue between the cups on my local machine and the router in wich the printer is installed (a Siemens SE551 router): there is a delay of 1 to 3 minutes between every page.

Have anyone experienced some situations like this?

Thanks!

Dripbagulhos
November 20th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Thank you very much for the post. The driver works perfectly, except by two little issues:

1) I have a blank page at the end of every job with I can not prevent of being released,

2) Although I think this is an issue between the cups on my local machine and the router in wich the printer is installed (a Siemens SE551 router): there is a delay of 1 to 3 minutes between every page.

Have anyone experienced some situations like this?

Thanks!

Let me add some pieces of information:

If I boot Windows on the same machine, I can print 50 pages in 10 minutes (3 times faster), with little better quality and no blank page at the end of the job. I guess the problem is not a problem but two problems:

CUPs
Driver

Cups had bad performance with all printers I tested. With any inkjet pluged durectely on my micro, it has worse quality and is 3 times slower than windows

The driver must be the responsible to send 1 blank page at the end of every job, since I didn't get this issue with any other printer

seenxu
April 7th, 2008, 01:03 PM
how to disable the duplex printing in property.
i had checked the .ppd file, it says that *DefaultDuplex: None

don't know why and how to avoid the printer always to print out a blank paper

aigelonic
April 27th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks!
It worked great with my new Oki B2200 printer. :)
If just everything was as easy to get working as this :P

Cheers!

cscsc
May 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the ppd file, I can now print to our oki b4300 printer. No problems yet! Also, your instructions were very helpful, since this is our first time with linux. :)

vroy
May 9th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I downloaded the ppd file. But, I can't find the model B6300 in it. Ane help?

exwindowsuser
May 11th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Thank you very much :)
It worked just fine for me =D>
On Ubuntu 8.04 install under Windows :mad:

likerice
May 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM
for anyone who stumbles upon this page using Hardy 8.04:

i was able to install my Oki B4100 (attached via USB) without additional drivers.

in Firefox, i navigated to http://localhost:631, clicked on "Administration" -> "Find New Printers" and was given 2 choices:

OKI DATA CORP B4100, and

OKI_DATA_CORP_B4100_USB_1.

i chose the second option, clicked-through the default options, and VOILA!

my flawlessly functional Oki B4100 settings now read as follows:

Description: OKI DATA CORP B4100
Printer Driver: Okidata Okipage 6e - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2
Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: usb://OKI%20DATA%20CORP/B4100

it's worth noting that i was *unable* to install this printer via System -> Administration -> Printing, for whatever reason (most likely, my n00b incompetence).

Heliooos
July 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks much. Works nice under PCLinuxOS 2007 :-)

skili2008
August 18th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Thanx mate... It worked for me..

:guitar:

edilsonka
October 27th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Hey Easterly Wind, thanks for the driver - works great!!!!

pjtb
November 2nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Thank You for this driver - Have this working on Acer One Linpus Lite fantastic.

FloSch369
December 1st, 2008, 02:57 PM
As none of the methods mentioned worked for me I just want to leave another note on this topic for those still seeking.

I always had the problem that the printer simply cut off a little on the top - no matter where the text really starts (doesn't necessarily need to be at the very top of the page).

Only thing that worked for me so far: adding the OKI B4100 with the ppd for HP Laserjet 1100.

Greatings

denhussam
December 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks for help, it works great with Oki B2200 printer =D>

Chocolates
January 1st, 2009, 02:55 AM
Hi

I had a problem finding a driver for my Oki C5510 MFP and found to get the Oki C5510 MFP to work on Ubuntu you need to select the Oki C5500 driver from the Oki database within Ubuntu print driver database.

Other drivers that worked in Black and White BUT not color were C5500 and C3530.

Chocies!!:)

lakeoftea
January 31st, 2009, 03:27 AM
yes works brilliantly on ubuntu 8.10 on b2200 cheers and thx so much

zegh
February 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Thank you for the driver.

I followed the instructions here (http://www.willmer.com/kb/2005/05/printing-to-windows-xp-printer-from-ubuntu/) to get to a printer in xp, but never got to make it function well. Now with this driver I can finally print directly from Ubuntu!

PepeWasquez
April 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM
gracias, funciona perfectamente con ubuntu 9.0 y una impresora oki b2200 conectada a una maquina con windows xp, a traves de la red local
:popcorn:

brantonc
May 26th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Works on opensuse 11.1 as well. Thank-you for your hard work on this printer.

nextwave
June 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Works great for my B2200! Works on Mandriva 2008.0, 2008.1, 2009.0, and 2009.1.
funny that openprinting.org sees the printer as a paper wieght. Oh well, can't always gettem' all :)
Thanks for your hard work!

pigpen23
August 7th, 2009, 03:49 AM
works perfect for my b2200 on 9.04

kuzrics
August 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hi,

I should be a type of graphical status monitor oki b4100 printer thanks

The KB Stockpiler
September 18th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Hi,

I tried this file on Mandriva(2000) with a B2200 printer and according to the ppd helper file it is in the wrong format. I have tried other ppd files for the B4200 and the 2400 which Mandriva accepts but the printer won't do anything. I'm trying to become pro efficient at tar files because urpmi and rmp are limited so this is not a concern.Can anyone recommend a legitimate dictionary for Linux off line. StarDict. is interesting but I don't need one for humor. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

The KB Stockpiler
September 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Hi,

Is there a way to get this to work on Mandriva? When I try to set up the printer and load it as a ppd file the helper application won't accept it.
Thanks in advance

dustingold09
September 20th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Hi ,
Easterly Wind !

Thanks for giving information about printer driver , I am new for the Linux platform so i

have no idea about , how to connect printer to the computer with Linux OS ?

Laser Printers (http://www.brother.ca)

cmtek
October 14th, 2009, 09:09 AM
it worked great with my oki b2200 too :P

Sigeuner
October 18th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hey Guys,

I have, maybe a quite simple Question, but actually im stucked a bit..

I got a Speedport V900W Router. The Oki B4100 is connected on the USB Port there. Normally, with a Windows Operation System, i have to send my printing messages by network to the ip:631.
According to this i tried it with Linux and it.. doesnt work ^^ Well, anyhone has a clue what the Problem might be?

Thanx,

Sigeuner

Sigeuner
October 18th, 2009, 05:21 PM
update
Well, acutally i tried it with Port 9100 and - it works ^^
Maybe s.o. can explain, why it works on Port 9100 and doesn't on 631 (Difference between Unix - Windows ? O.o )

-Sigeuner

euux
October 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Hi,

:D :D :D it works in karmic koala !! thanks

bookworm1000
December 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Thank you so much,

worked with my OKI B2200!

Thanx,

bookworm

strider22
February 8th, 2010, 03:29 AM
This driver also worked for an OKI OKIdata B410d laser printer.
The printer has duplex printing and it works fine although so far I have only tested with text files.

I am puzzled though as to why neither of the supplied ppd files work.
There are 8 files but really 2 in 4 languages, so only 2 english. I tried both.

Can anyone explain why the supplied files don't work?

The symptom is one line printed per page starting with;
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Title: PPR Test Page
etc.

I did notice that the memory options in this file are 64 or 128Meg of ram. The printer spec say it comes with 32 Meg of ram. I added a line in the section below;

*OpenUI *InstalledMemory/Memory Configuration: PickOne
*DefaultInstalledMemory: 64MB
*InstalledMemory 32MB/32 MB RAM: ""
*InstalledMemory 64MB/64 MB RAM: ""
*InstalledMemory 192MB/192 MB: ""
*?InstalledMemory : "
currentsystemparams /InstalledRam get
1024 idiv 1024 idiv 20 string cvs print (MB) = flush"
*End
*CloseUI: *InstalledMemory

This appears to be just a configuration option and it didn't change the problem at all so I assume I need to add an entry below but I don't know what values to use. If 192MB = 21886000 then why doesn't 64MB equal 1/3?

*% _____ Memory Configuration(VM Size) _____
*FreeVM: "33554390"
*VMOption 64MB/64 MB RAM: "33554390"
*VMOption 192MB/192 MB: "33554420"

*% _____ Memory Configuration(FontCache Size) _____
*FCacheSize 64MB:5215000
*FCacheSize 192MB:21886000

Thanks.

lakeoftea
March 6th, 2010, 02:23 AM
works great on 9.10. thank you very much

duuchung
April 18th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Dear comrades,

I had never successfully hooked up any printers to Linux since 2005 until today. I can now print with my OKI B2200 under Ubuntu.

Tks Ubuntu
Tks the gurus

begoodness
April 28th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hi, this post was really usefull to me. I configured it in 1 minute. THANK YOU!

hipericus
May 20th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Works perfectly with OKI B2200!!!!

It has been the only place I did found a solution to the problem. I am using Ubuntu Karmic Koala, for next users information.

Just downloading the ppd file, and following your instructions. Great!!!!

Thanks a lot.

rikhard.fsoss
October 10th, 2010, 06:25 PM
works great with Debian testing and #!CrunchBang 10 Statler before that i used to install HP 1100 laserjet driver.

lolo001
October 13th, 2010, 08:09 PM
It works great on my OKI B2200 with Ubuntu 10.10! Choose the ppd's drivers during the installation and set the first post file up!

Thanks

:)

aalxndrv
October 24th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks much!
Works fine on Ubuntu 10.10 / Oki B2200n

maydule
November 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Another happy user! Thanks!!! :D
Works perfectly - b2200 & ubuntu 9.10

Alokin
November 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Well, worked great for my OKI B2200 on 10.04, but since i changed to 10.10, it does, say 20% of the jobs, and just blinks red most of the time.
Not sure what's the problem...

Turn off / on the printer works sometimes, though... :)

Alokin
November 17th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Correction: Today it prints just fine, though it still blinks red. I guess it's the printer:roll:, the driver is OK.:)

richler
December 19th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Many thanks, it works on Fedora Core 14 too.

avz10
January 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Hi
I just want to know if this driver can be used for Windows as well. I have Windows 7

Regards

mhismail
January 9th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Hi,

I am certainly jealous with the success several of you have had! I downloaded the driver. I went to the add printer option. However, unfortunately there is nothing I can do to get the printer to communicate with my HP mini. I have the printer on and the cable is plugged in! But the dialog box read, among others " Stopped - unplugged or turned off!! I am thoroughly .....
Pls help.

avz10
January 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Re: driver for OKI B4100 printer
Hi
I just want to know if this driver can be used for Windows as well. I have Windows 7

Regards

Anyone can help me with this??

texaswriter
January 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM
By the way. Linux kernel 2.6 and 2.4 drivers are available for some of these printers. Look up your printer on the okidata website below and check the os. If not, try a similar printer. Best of luck.

http://my.okidata.com/dsdownWeb.nsf/driverlookup/D9D9DDCB82AD7C498525773F005310B8?OpenDocument

Gooogle search:

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=okidata+linux+driver&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

james_dk
February 24th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for this...

Worked on the first attempt for me...

:)

dima206
March 15th, 2011, 10:32 PM
OkiData released official printer driver
http://my.okidata.com/PP-B2200.nsf?opendatabase

exitcode
April 14th, 2011, 07:51 PM
fine with b2200, thanks!

Mike843
April 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks it worked first time. It is also my first request for assistance on Ubuntu and is most encouraging.

Any chance of you doing something similar for a Canon scanner N640P?
Mike

Johnston10.10
May 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM
The driver works pretty good with my OKI B2200 under Ubuntu 10.10, Ubuntu 10.04 and also OpenSuSE 11.4.

Only problem is: The printer only prints. There's no option to clean the printheads or print a self-test hardcopy like there was with the original OKI driver and software under Windows. And I'm badly in need of cleaning the printheads since the hardcopies I'm printing are getting stripes.

There's also no option to see the charging level of the toner cartridge using this ppd-file under Linux. Well, at least the printer does the job... :D

Thanks for the upload!!

silove
May 30th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Works great with my OKI B2200 on Ubuntu 11.04!

Thanks a lot!

crisgue
June 1st, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hi, I need to install the OKI B420dn in Unix using the parallel port. I don't have driver.
What to do???

Clippy
August 30th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Just a "heads up" - I just tried using the official OKI driver (i.e., this one (http://my.okidata.com/PP-B2200.nsf?opendatabase)), and found that I couldn't get the duplex to work. After fighting with it for a while, I used Easterly Wind's .ppd (the one posted at the beginning of this thread) and voila, duplexing worked. So, many thanks to Easterly Wind for the wonderful work - try his/her driver first!

B410d on 10.04 Lucid

luismunhoz
July 5th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Many thanks from me, too. Driver works perfectly under Ubuntu 12.04

gikacz
March 18th, 2013, 07:36 PM
It doesn´t work on my Fedora 18. There is some information in Printers panel that B2200 is stopped, and if I make it started, it do nothing. When I transfer a job from my working HP printer to B2200, there is a the window which says that it isn´t possible because ¨B2200 doesn´t exist¨.
Please, help me if it possible.

Cannibal_Dog
January 22nd, 2014, 03:39 PM
Many thanks from me, too. Driver works perfectly under Ubuntu 12.04

Oh my! Have spent 3 hours trying to get this going, now 3.30am. Had "memory overflow" error come up. Tearing my hair out, as (almost) everyone says here it works brilliantly.
Turns out just pushing ONLINE on the printer (B4300) got things going. Spat out error mesage, test print and my actual document all at once.
Will let you know how it goes in the future - thanks everyone!
On Ubuntu 12.04, totally new to this.

Fredrik_L
April 30th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Works on xubuntu 14.04. Thank you.

vgalegov
January 29th, 2015, 10:14 PM
Hello!
I have found the official driver. It works on the ubuntu 14.04 LTS fine.
http://www.myokidata.com/dsdownWeb.nsf/driverlookup/90B6329133696B8585257A8000721484?OpenDocument