PDA

View Full Version : We're #1

kleeman
April 1st, 2005, 11:12 PM
On the default Distrowatch hits list (last 6 months).
Yes you heard it first here! :razz: :smile: :mrgreen: 8)

bored2k
April 1st, 2005, 11:19 PM
Niiice. I hope it's true.

jdodson
April 1st, 2005, 11:24 PM
ubuntu will keep on rockin. rock to the top of the charts.

rwabel
April 1st, 2005, 11:29 PM
13 more points and they are on the top!!
2 April?? maybe a bit too early?? Let's see, my guess is Sunday

kleeman
April 1st, 2005, 11:44 PM
Yesterday 1475 Today 1491 Tomorrow > 1503 (Mandrake is flat)

cliff58
April 2nd, 2005, 02:09 AM
WOW! I think it's gonna do it! This was at 7:45PM EST...

totalshredder
April 2nd, 2005, 02:39 AM
In less than 6 months, we took over distrowatch.com. Amazing! I'll bet we've taken it over already; it just has yet to update. After the next update, ubuntu will be winning. :-)

NeoChaosX
April 2nd, 2005, 02:54 AM
Well, by default, DistroWatch does the page-hit average for the last 6 months. This means that Ubuntu isn't just popular now, it was also very popular 6 months ago when Hoary^h^h^h^h^h Warty came out. :razz: So ubuntu is more popular than you think.

totalshredder
April 2nd, 2005, 03:03 AM
Well, by default, DistroWatch does the page-hit average for the last 6 months. This means that Ubuntu isn't just popular now, it was also very popular 6 months ago when Hoary came out. :razz: So ubuntu is more popular than you think.

Mean warty? Heh, I know what you mean; how bout this stat, in the past six months (ubuntu has been around longer, it was in betas and stuff) there have been 263,200 hits to the ubuntu distrowatch page. Pretty cool stuff.

The six month one is the one that really counts :-D

Luke

defkewl
April 2nd, 2005, 03:45 AM
I think your prediction might be right.

Buffalo Soldier
April 2nd, 2005, 04:07 AM
2 April 2005 10:45AM (Malaysian time, +0800GMT)

Mandrakelinux - 1505
Ubuntu - 1504
Fedora - 1356

paul cooke
April 2nd, 2005, 08:29 AM
2 April 2005 10:45AM (Malaysian time, +0800GMT)

Mandrakelinux - 1505
Ubuntu - 1504
Fedora - 1356

last three months...

Rank Distribution H.P.D*
1 Ubuntu 1994<
2 Mandrakelinux 1490<
3 MEPIS 1418>
4 Fedora 1259<
5 SUSE 1242<
6 Debian 914>
7 KNOPPIX 764>
8 Gentoo 761<
9 Slackware 675<
10 Xandros 583=

it appears < = up, > = down and = = no change...

Michael
April 2nd, 2005, 01:48 PM
http://img221.exs.cx/img221/1145/ubuntudw1zd.png

This is simply amazing. Never, I believe, in the history of linux, has any distrobution (especially not a 100% free one) grown in popularity so fast that it outrun big nameslike Mandrake/RedHat/SuSE.

Good job everyone in the ubuntu world, keep up the good work! :D

First, DistroWatch, then - the world! :twisted:

ubuntu_demon
April 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Great that we finally arrived here. When hoary gets released we will see a big boost probably.

sapo
April 2nd, 2005, 01:59 PM
Nice :)

I just used ubuntu cause i was lazy about downloading mandrake and ubuntu was the only one i ve found in a magazine... :-$

But now i think that ubuntu is far better than mandrake...

Easy to use.. small.. fast and light... for me its beeing perfect \\:D/

Xian
April 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
And that's only over the course of an entire six month time frame.
If you reset the time period to the past month it looks dramatically different:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/camplear/forums/ubunturanking.jpg

seven
April 2nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
ubuntu is unstoppable 8)

damn sorry for the double post :\

Glanz
April 2nd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Way back, I sent for the Warty CDs. I gave all of them to others and helped them install, and recently upgraded everyone to Hoary. Now they all, including 4 former Windows users among them, are capable of handling all upgraging eventualities themselves. Most of these new users are too poor (university students,and very small business owners) to have the latest and greatest hardware. None of them could afford Windows and all the pain and misery that goes with it in the form of expensive proprietary software such as virus scanners, CD burning crapola, Ofice suites etc.

I myself had been using Debian for 8 years and the BSDs much longer, since their inception in fact. Since that first Ubuntu install, I haven't looked back. I am not amazed at Ubuntu's popularity. And I am really pleasantly surprised at the developer/user relationship. Rarely have I seen more pure patience, hard work, and pure fun with an Operating System. Ubuntu is a true community, and not a pseudo-religious OS cult.

I feel it nesessary to say thank you very much to all the developers. And thanks to Mike Shuttleworth for this marvelous idea. I am actually having fun!

Xian
April 2nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Nice post, Glanz. That was a great story.

BWF89
April 2nd, 2005, 02:57 PM
Isn't it kinda bad when a distro that's made for free surpasses all the distros where people get paid hourly wadges to make?

Glanz
April 2nd, 2005, 03:04 PM
Nice post, Glanz. That was a great story.
ThanX

Not to change the subject, but in your 'motto', substituting "gun" for "hammer" really makes one think (like what the "nail" would be in that case). Thanks for the meditation.

Lagiv
April 2nd, 2005, 03:06 PM
Way to go Ubuntu!

Lagiv
April 2nd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Isn't it kinda bad when a distro that's made for free surpasses all the distros where people get paid hourly wadges to make?
What do you mean? There are lots of 'hobby' distros in the Top 100 but Ubuntu isn't one of them, they're getting paid for doing it.

kleeman
April 2nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
Thread starter ego check :mrgreen:
So it looks like the change over will occur at 12.33GMT which is April 2 in the US where I am but April 3 in countries "east" of GMT.

marcolino
April 2nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Nice :)

I just used ubuntu cause i was lazy about downloading mandrake and ubuntu was the only one i ve found in a magazine... :-$

But now i think that ubuntu is far better than mandrake...

Easy to use.. small.. fast and light... for me its beeing perfect \\:D/

How can you know, have you ever workt with Mandrake 10.1. There is no better, all distros are linux. So they are all good. You may like one distro more than a other but that doesn't mean that it's better. Ubunt is growing verry fast, they are doing a great job.
:-({|=

Michael
April 2nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
I second that, I am personally a fan of Ubuntu and GNOME but when asked to give advice about a distro I always say "try them all and decide for yourself". I know I did (tried 8 different distros in my first tryings with linux) and Ubuntu is the first distro that I decided to stay with for a long while.

I always considered APT the best package system for linux (I just don't have time to compile every little thing I want, if you were thinking about Portage) and I also prefer GNOME over KDE (elegant, KISS philosophy, exacly to my taste) so Ubuntu is exacly what the doctor has ordered for me!

ubuntu_demon
April 2nd, 2005, 05:34 PM
I second that, I am personally a fan of Ubuntu and GNOME but when asked to give advice about a distro I always say "try them all and decide for yourself". I know I did (tried 8 different distros in my first tryings with linux) and Ubuntu is the first distro that I decided to stay with for a long while.

I always considered APT the best package system for linux (I just don't have time to compile every little thing I want, if you were thinking about Portage) and I also prefer GNOME over KDE (elegant, KISS philosophy, exacly to my taste) so Ubuntu is exacly what the doctor has ordered for me!
you don't want to give that advise to people who think internet = internet explorer :)

totalshredder
April 2nd, 2005, 05:49 PM
you don't want to give that advise to people who think internet = internet explorer :)
Gotta love trying to help your friends on windows and saying "wait, is your internet working?t"
"I think I deleted it"
"what? how can you delete it! You have cable internet!"
"yeah, but my friend's friend said that it gives me viruses so I should delete it"

then you kind of show them that they only deleted the shortcut...

TravisNewman
April 2nd, 2005, 06:00 PM
First off, everyone at Canonical IS getting paid.

Second off, by MARK Shuttleworth, not Mike.

But this has been expected for ages. It doesn't even surprise me at all anymroe. I'm thrilled, don't get me wrong, but not a bit surprised.

ubuntu_demon
April 2nd, 2005, 06:06 PM
Gotta love trying to help your friends on windows and saying "wait, is your internet working?t"
"I think I deleted it"
"what? how can you delete it! You have cable internet!"
"yeah, but my friend's friend said that it gives me viruses so I should delete it"

then you kind of show them that they only deleted the shortcut...
:-D

newbies like that could use ubuntu but only if it were installed & configured for them

totalshredder
April 2nd, 2005, 06:48 PM
First off, everyone at Canonical IS getting paid.

Second off, by MARK Shuttleworth, not Mike.

But this has been expected for ages. It doesn't even surprise me at all anymroe. I'm thrilled, don't get me wrong, but not a bit surprised.

I agree, they've had the 1 month topped for quite some time. It will be monumental of course :)

newbies like that could use ubuntu but only if it were installed & configured for them
Yes, I agree, I've got at least one person using ubuntu permanately, and many more using the live CD. That one script for new users; it's a dream come true!!

Luke

kassetra
April 2nd, 2005, 07:49 PM
Yes, I agree, I've got at least one person using ubuntu permanately, and many more using the live CD. That one script for new users; it's a dream come true!!

The live cd is like a "system-back guarantee" as in, if you don't like the new system, "we'll give you back your old system exactly like you left it - FREE!"

I use the live cd in places where there isn't Linux available as well. Now I just gotta get Ubuntu to fit on my usb drive... and of course to have my selection of apps too... then I will be supremely confident that I can go to any client's office and work on their project without using notepad or something horrendous like that. :)

arctic
April 2nd, 2005, 09:13 PM
hmm... if i think back at those days when i installed the first version of ubuntu... which didn't even have a name!! :D and the distrowatch rankings were nonexistent . no wonder, if a distro does not have a name... ;)

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 09:19 PM
hmm... if i think back at those days when i installed the first version of ubuntu... which didn't even have a name!! :D and the distrowatch rankings were nonexistent . no wonder, if a distro does not have a name... ;)
In those days Ubuntu was a real pain for me :(. I only liked the spankin` new GNOME 2.8 no one else had. Things have changed now :D.

HungSquirrel
April 2nd, 2005, 09:44 PM
I tried Ubuntu immediately after they picked the name.

tkiesel
April 2nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
Awesome.

Now, we get to watch for the 12-month ranking, where Ubuntu is currently poised at a suitably underdog-style seventh place. 8-)

Much love to everyone,
-tkiesel

geeky
April 3rd, 2005, 01:57 AM
It IS #1 now ;)
head on to distrowatch.com and see it..

benplaut
April 3rd, 2005, 02:08 AM
^^ditto... ahead by 10 points!!!!...

i am pretty sure that Ubuntu is the fastest growing distro yet! (correct me if i'm wrong...)

=D> =D>

somuchfortheafter
April 3rd, 2005, 02:10 AM
Congrats everyone we did it, without us and the developers this would not have happened.

VIVA LA UBUNTUION

morethannoise
April 3rd, 2005, 02:44 AM
Ubuntu......1514

Mandrake..1504

6 month page hit rank on Distrowatch.

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 02:48 AM
Hail To The King . Not only are we up, but everyone else is declining absurdly .

http://img208.exs.cx/img208/4122/11pm1.jpg (http://www.distrowatch.com)
http://img153.exs.cx/img153/8904/28tb.jpg (http://www.distrowatch.com)
http://img153.exs.cx/img153/5417/36uc.jpg (http://www.distrowatch.com)

james_mad
April 3rd, 2005, 02:55 AM
And we will keep going for a while considering the new release coming up 8)

morethannoise
April 3rd, 2005, 02:57 AM
I think credit has to be shared on a number of fronts. Firstly, Ubuntu is in my opinion the most solid distribution out there. The fact that it works, and works well is a major contributing factor to it's meteoric rise. However, the community here is also responsible for Ubuntu's popularity. Friendly and helpful go a long way. I have come across forums for other distributions with definite negative attitudes towards newbies and the questions we have. Not so with the Ubuntu forums.

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 03:00 AM
I think credit has to be shared on a number of fronts. Firstly, Ubuntu is in my opinion the most solid distribution out there. The fact that it works, and works well is a major contributing factor to it's meteoric rise. However, the community here is also responsible for Ubuntu's popularity. Friendly and helpful go a long way. I have come across forums for other distributions with definite negative attitudes towards newbies and the questions we have. Not so with the Ubuntu forums.
Indeed, and don't even think going to some distro's mIRC channel :cry:
WE ASK THE USERS ON THE UBUNTUFORUMS TO PLEASE FOLLOW THE UBUNTU CODE OF CONDUCT and....

1. Be polite. This is a end user forum community, moderated by ubuntu users.
5. Report bad posts. If you discover an abusive post or someone posting a thread in the wrong section, report it to the moderators using the Report to moderator button.

poofyhairguy
April 3rd, 2005, 03:02 AM
I hope Madrale lovers fall from grace gracefully. Long live Ubuntu!

poofyhairguy
April 3rd, 2005, 03:03 AM
It done. ubuntu wins.

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 03:07 AM
I hope Madrale lovers fall from grace gracefully. Long live Ubuntu!
They are all together having a beer to ease things up. http://forum.mandrakeclub.com/ says In total there are 4 users online :: 4 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Most users ever online was 26 on Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:04 pm

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 03:08 AM
It done. ubuntu wins.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=23581

allans
April 3rd, 2005, 03:17 AM
They are all together having a beer to ease things up. http://forum.mandrakeclub.com/ says In total there are 4 users online :: 4 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests

Looking at those stats, it's amazing that mandrake ever reached number one. It was my first distro, but I feel I learnt nothing from it, it was so bland and, well, not exactly a good way to discover linux. Long live ubuntu!

TravisNewman
April 3rd, 2005, 03:42 AM
Keep in mind, mandrakeclub.com isn't official (or is it? Doesn't seem to be...)
ubuntuforums.org was strictly grassroots, however, and Canonical decided to make us the official forums.
With the POSSIBLE exception of gentoo, these are the most active community forums I've ever seen.

TravisNewman
April 3rd, 2005, 03:46 AM
Awesome.

Now, we get to watch for the 12-month ranking, where Ubuntu is currently poised at a suitably underdog-style seventh place. 8-)

Much love to everyone,
-tkiesel
And, though they will never change, the 2004 totals tell a lot. Ubuntu is #13 for 2004, which is great considering that it didn't come out until october.

telmo
April 3rd, 2005, 03:47 AM
I'm very happy for the great news! Long live Ubuntu! The best distro ever made.
WOOT! :D

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 03:56 AM
Keep in mind, mandrakeclub.com isn't official (or is it? Doesn't seem to be...)
ubuntuforums.org was strictly grassroots, however, and Canonical decided to make us the official forums.
With the POSSIBLE exception of gentoo, these are the most active community forums I've ever seen.
It's amazing how Gentoo users manage to have time to maintain a forum, when they spend 80% of their time compiling :-\ .[I'm not "playa` hatin`" though..]

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 04:03 AM
It's amazing how Gentoo users manage to have time to maintain a forum, when they spend 80% of their time compiling :-\ .[I'm not "playa` hatin`" though..]

*snicker* maybe that's all they can do when they're compiling - spend time on forums instead of using their computer... ;)

just kidding :)

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 04:11 AM
*snicker* maybe that's all they can do when they're compiling - spend time on forums instead of using their computer... ;)

just kidding :)
:-\ That is sad.

Could you imagine Ubuntu being a "source" distro like Gentoo!? Specially on the current non final stage LOL:

bored2k > Hey kassetra, I just compiled Firefox 1.0.1 today *yohoo!*, took me 2 hours but that's ok 'cause it's awsome.
kassetra > 1.0.2 is out .. sorry
bored2k > you're evil :-(

That could almost enter bash.org lol .

allans
April 3rd, 2005, 04:13 AM
The problem I found with mandrake was that because it was so big, there were several different places you could ask so you tended to get the same questions asked everyone, none of which helped!

I have to agree, these forums are superb. Any problem I've ever had has been solved either by posting or searching, so I guess without the forums I wouldn't still be using ubuntu.

Edit: lol, if firefox wasn't bad enough, you've still got x.org plus updates, open office and gnome to get through...

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 04:20 AM
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=10165
On 2ghz Celeron, this dude spent 34minutes compiling Abiword, that's just absurd. Abiword people, you know, the small writer. Now if you think about compiling OpenOffice.org.. boy Ubuntu rocks!

FX
April 3rd, 2005, 04:20 AM
I think mandrakeusers.org is a little more popular and they are very friendly over there. Doesn't really matter what distro you are running.

allans
April 3rd, 2005, 04:23 AM
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=10165
On 2ghz Celeron, this dude spent 34minutes compiling Abiword, that's just absurd. Abiword people, you know, the small writer. Now if you think about compiling OpenOffice.org.. boy Ubuntu rocks!

Life's too short. Talking of which I'll be running a newer version of openoffice in 5 minutes, anyone else got this installed in hoary yet?

Allan

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 04:30 AM
Life's too short. Talking of which I'll be running a newer version of openoffice in 5 minutes, anyone else got this installed in hoary yet?

Allan
I hope your installing the latest version off openoffice.org, 'cause the one included on Hoary is mad slow compared to the other [at least my experience].

Back to the topic, Ubuntu rocks ^_^ .

allans
April 3rd, 2005, 04:32 AM
Turns out it's just a revised edition of the one already in universe...1.9.79ubuntu2, I was a bit too quick to click on install. But yeah back to topic, ubuntu and more specifically hoary deserves to be number 1

Allan

edit: your right, should have stuck with the older version, plus the lack of gnome intergration does nothing for it

ubuntu-geek
April 3rd, 2005, 05:57 AM
I'm glad to see Ubuntu as #1 in this short amount of time. It really goes to show what people are looking for and Ubuntu provides that.

Joeb
April 3rd, 2005, 06:48 AM
I noticed that Ubuntu took over the number one spot on Distrowatch today!

Joeb

TravisNewman
April 3rd, 2005, 07:07 AM
Yep! I think this is the 4th thread about that today ;) No offense, but we don't need that many

Nazgoth
April 3rd, 2005, 10:42 AM
I have to say that the #1 position is totally deserved. I'm a linux noob, i've tried fedora core 1,2,3, mandrake, Suse and Mepis and they all 'sort of worked'. There was always something that made me go back to my WinXP.

But then i tried the Ubuntu livecd ..... and everything just worked...
and the things i didn't understand (noob) i could find very easily in the unofficial guide or the great forum here =]

jeremy
April 3rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
I agree that the #1 position is totally deserved. I had tried several distros before ubuntu (warty preview), and knew that ubuntu was the one for me almost immediatly.

Since then I have become something of an "ubuntu evangalist" (yes, I know, contradiction of terms, but I am sure you know what I mean), and am thrilled to see ubuntu claim its rightful place in the hierarchy.

Buffalo Soldier
April 3rd, 2005, 11:17 AM
ubuntuforums.org was strictly grassroots, however, and Canonical decided to make us the official forums.I think that was one of the factor that contributed to the strength of this forum. The people that are here for the love of Ubuntu and not for money. (not saying money is bad :p )

Buffalo Soldier
April 3rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Please take your attention to post number 6 at http://forum.mandrakeclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=30871&sid=210cdb2a5cccfec79cf9ddc5256c006a

What so special to Ubuntu. It doesn't surpase MDK look at Distrowatch it not in the top 10.
I don't understand the fuss about Ubuntu...I wonder how he feels right now after looking at DistroWatch latest ranking :p

somuchfortheafter
April 3rd, 2005, 01:47 PM
the fuss is that it owns mandrake...... anyway they are like stalin during his last days lol, ok maybe that is a we bit of a strong analogy but heh it works.

Rhodan
April 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
Well done Ubuntu, let's hope it carry's on like this way into the future ! =D>

defkewl
April 3rd, 2005, 02:35 PM
Hopefully we won't be under Mandrake anytime soon.

Bo Rosén
April 3rd, 2005, 02:45 PM
I've used or tried various distributions of linux over the years, and while it is unfair to compare with anything that is much older than Ubuntu, I almost had a feeling of coming home when I first installed Warty. Of course, I came from Gentoo, also a great distro but for very different reasons, and wanted something that 'just worked'. Ubuntu is very close to that and feels 'done right'

I doubt that there is such a thing as a perfect distribution, we use our computers differently, but for myself I have little doubt I'll be loyal to Ubuntu for a long time to come.

seven
April 3rd, 2005, 02:54 PM
Hail the king :]

arctic
April 3rd, 2005, 02:54 PM
ouch... you should do your homework better :D
the best site for mandrake users (others are also welcomed and frequent there) is www.mandrakeusers.org. here are some stats:

Our members have made a total of 147871 posts
We have 10630 registered members
Most users ever online was 638 on Dec 13 2004, 10:03 AM
now... that sounds different than 26 users, doesn't it? ;)

arctic
April 3rd, 2005, 02:57 PM
bfff... even IF it falls behind mandrake again... who cares? both distros are doing a damn good job. :D

mark
April 3rd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Great news! I attribute Ubuntu's rise in popularity to (a) a very good distro and (b) an outstanding community.

With the imminent release of Hoary, it can only get better - so long as we (the community) continue to do our part.

Mark

BWF89
April 3rd, 2005, 03:50 PM
GREAT!

I thought you were talking about the TV show King of the Hill.

Buffalo Soldier
April 3rd, 2005, 03:51 PM
I guess imitation and ripp offs are then norm when you're number 1. Refering to Microsoft goes HUMAN ;) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=23638) thread.

ember
April 3rd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Hmm ... maybe we should have an "Offical Ubuntu Distrowatch Thread" - like the Gmail thread?

primeirocrime
April 3rd, 2005, 07:27 PM
really great. Ubuntu is going up and it's very easy to master. I've commited my self to a project of spreading it to my friends and family. So far I've converted 2. ANd i've asked for cds and I'll make the suport side to this people I'll convert from winXP. At least until I teach my grannie how to log in to ubuntuforum :)

power to ubuntu. ubuntu to the people. ubuntu save the queen.

williamroddy
April 4th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Congratulations, Ubuntu Team!

Ubuntu is #1 in the DistroWatch 6 month chart.

First time I've ever seen something like that.

Looks like it won't be long before it has competition, though. Kubuntu is climbing fast.

Well done! Well deserved!

joplass
April 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I saw this coming and there it is: Ubuntu is number 1 on distrowatch. I am speechless for such a young distro to rise so fast.

This requires a proper celebration!

Bravo developers…

bored2k
April 7th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Did you just wake up from a coma ?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=23601&highlight=distrowatch

jdodson
April 7th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Could you imagine Ubuntu being a "source" distro like Gentoo!? Specially on the current non final stage LOL:

you can actually treat debian, or ubuntu for that matter like a source distro. all the repositories have source copies in debian and ubuntu. you can get a program called apt-build and do it that way.

debian is not too far off from gentoo if you wanted it to be.

gmc
April 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Hello Folks,

For those who are interested, Ubuntu is the #1 Distrobution according to
DistroWatch.com (http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity). Congradulations

Gord

kiddo
April 10th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Heehee! ^_^ in order to keep that #1, don't forget to adopt those cute unanswered threads, huh? ;)

XDevHald
April 10th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Yes, I have that website bookmarked and proud to see it # as Mandrake a.k.a Mandriva #2 as it stood as top for quite sometime now.

P.S anyone get any release updates on packages lately, seems the updates have been on hold since last Wednesday.

TravisNewman
April 10th, 2005, 07:01 PM
there have been at least 4 threads about this already ;)

They were compiled into one thread:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24569&highlight=distrowatch

Edit: Kassetra consolidated again, unlocked.

XDevHald
April 30th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Heehee! ^_^ in order to keep that #1, don't forget to adopt those cute unanswered threads, huh? ;)

Very true, and there are a lot of un-answered threads, would be nice to catch up on some late work eh? ;)

But being #1 is rather nice, and hopefully Kubuntu can catch up, but to much ;)

arnieboy
May 31st, 2005, 12:56 AM
Interesting but I noticed Distrowatch's ranking today and my general impression is that people are losing interest in all other major distros except Ubuntu (and Kubuntu)---> a general downward trend everywhere.. are people losing interest in Linux in general?
Food for thought...

bored2k
May 31st, 2005, 01:07 AM
Interesting but I noticed Distrowatch's ranking today and my general impression is that people are losing interest in all other major distros except Ubuntu (and Kubuntu)---> a general downward trend everywhere.. are people losing interest in Linux in general?
Food for thought...
I personally don't think so. Word of mouth is enough to get any OS popular. Plus, official websites tend to be boring so "why go there?", and with all the .torrents available on the major torrent websites, there's no need to go there. Plus, I don't think 10% of the Linux users check their official websites daily (news? that's what the forums are for).

rider343
May 31st, 2005, 01:20 AM
Ubuntu is 1º :) on Distrowatch

arnieboy
May 31st, 2005, 02:06 AM
I personally don't think so. Word of mouth is enough to get any OS popular. Plus, official websites tend to be boring so "why go there?", and with all the .torrents available on the major torrent websites, there's no need to go there. Plus, I don't think 10% of the Linux users check their official websites daily (news? that's what the forums are for).

Maybe it's also got to do with the fact that the major distros havent come up with any major upgrades in the recent past leading to a general decline in interest. The release of Fedora Core 4 (non-Beta version) should rekindle some interest atleast in the old warhorse distro.

tread
May 31st, 2005, 02:38 AM
I'm happy Ubuntu is doing so well :)
I have to say though, I'm kinda sad Fedora is dropping. Redhat 5 was my first distro and I still like Fedora .. Mandrake was good too albeit a bit bulky .. but it had a nice control panel type thing.

TravisNewman
May 31st, 2005, 02:43 AM
Until we get #1 on the 12 month listings, I'm going to close any threads I see about distrowatch rankings.

The people who run distrowatch have been critical of us for having these threads, which will cause more people to go click on it. Whether you think they're in the right or not, it does skew the results.

I want Ubuntu to be #1 as much as anybody, but I want it to be for the right reasons.