PDA

View Full Version : Can one buy and download legal non-DRMd DVD movies?

blastus
September 11th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I've looked at MovieLink and CinemaNow. MovieLink is for U.S. customers only. As for CinemaNow...

- The movies are all Windows DRMd so you need Windows, Windows Media Player and even Internet Explorer.
- You can't burn the movies so that you can watch them on your TV.
- Quality is dubious; I'm mean there's no way a dual-layer or even single-layer movie can be shrunk to 500MB or 600MB without having a noticable effect on quality
- No blockbuster movies...while browsing their catalogue I didn't even come across a single movie that I have heard of before.
- The prices are outrageous given the quality and the serious DRM restrictions (who the hell wants to download a movie that they can't watch on their entertainment system? :rolleyes: )

Then there's DivX VOD. Again their movies are DRMd and you need Windows. At least you can burn them off and watch them on a DivX certified player, but you can only watch them on that player. If your player happens to break, too bad.

What does Hollywood, the MPAA etc... expect, that consumers will buy into these overpriced, crappy quality, seriously restricted downloadable movie services?