PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Ubuntu Community! Nvu is Still Breathing!

user1397
September 10th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I've heard from a lot of people that the WYSIWYG web-editor Nvu has stopped development.

This is not the case whatsoever. It has come under the mozilla devs, and is just at a slow process of developemtn right now. Check this out from an nvu forums post:

MozNews: When will the NVu codebase land into the Mozilla.org CVS repository?
DG: There will be no Nvu 1.1 until all patches are in bugzilla.mozilla.org.

MozNews: It's been well over a year. Firefox has skyrocketed into the web consciousness, Seamonkey is going the way of the Dodo, and Firefox 1.1 will be from the trunk, rather than the long established Aviary branch. Do you plan on post-1.0 NVu development to continue on the branch it is now, or also a move to the trunk? What advantages or disadvantages do you see in that decision?
DG: Oh the plan is clearly to move to the trunk. Unfortunately, the editor on the trunk is in, well, bad shape. Very bad shape I must say. It's partly my fault, because I could not work on Nvu and the trunk at the same time. It's also because the editor is the neglected child of Mozilla at this time: all former contributors but one are gone or busy elsewhere.

MozNews: In that line of thought, what are the wider goals for post-1.0 development? Aside from your going off to have a good stiff drink and a vacation? Smilie
DG: One stiff drink only ?-)
1.0 is not the end of the road. Nvu is alive, and we have a ton of ideas for its future, keeping the original requirements in mind: simple, easy, standards-compliant, extensible.

MozNews: What else is Disruptive Innovations doing, or planning?
DG: We are working on a first commercial extension to Nvu (I can already hear people screaming) aimed at advanced users and giving finer control on the markup, and the styles. It'll be cheap enough so anyone can afford it. Our RelaxNG-based XML editor has also matured a lot, Laurent Jouanneau spent a lot of time and energy on that. We are reaching the point where we can open a document based on an arbitrary RelaxNG schema, edit it, create new elements and so on. It will be a superb new Mozilla-based application, and fully tri-licensed.
We have two other projects in line, one is almost done, but I won't comment. And I may hire again in the near future.
I also want to spend some time on CaScadeS, the CSS editor in Nvu. It's already powerful, but we could do much better, much more intuitive. Oh, and because JavaScript is the worst invention of all time, a behaviours editor is needed
The entire thread can be found here (http://forum.nvudev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3251&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)

So stop telling people to not use Nvu because it's not being develpoed anymore--it IS being developed!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

skymt
September 10th, 2006, 09:03 PM
You do realize that that story refers to a slow pace of development, and it also refers to FIREFOX 1.1?

Just saying, it would be more reassuring if it wasn't that obviously out of date.

maniacmusician
September 11th, 2006, 05:23 PM
....lol...

K.Mandla
September 11th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I LOVE big red letters.

user1397
September 11th, 2006, 09:21 PM
You do realize that that story refers to a slow pace of development, and it also refers to FIREFOX 1.1?

Just saying, it would be more reassuring if it wasn't that obviously out of date.
woops....didn't catch that part....*he goes to his backyard , crouches down, pulls out clumps of grass and dirt, and starts stuffing into his mouth and ears...* :-k

well do you think that they're still developing it then...anybody? cause they should. i think nvu has a lot of potential and should be supported, many even donations should be given so that it gets developed at a faster rate.

aysiu
September 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Screem is a pretty good app, but I still prefer Gedit. I used Nvu for about two minutes and decided it wasn't for me. I won't be donating.