PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for the Ubuntu Forums Rules & Guidelines

Raf Rzedowski
September 10th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Hello!

Not so long ago, I have registered to this forum. Then, I had to read its rules. “This must be some kind of joke”, I thought at first. Seriously, is it really necessary for an average user to read all those pages, before posting?

It's long. Most of it is quite obvious. Some of it is redundant. Many users wont read it all. By requesting their approval in such way: “I have read, and agree to abide by the Ubuntu Forums rules”, you're unnecessarily placing them in a perjury position.

What you need in the registration window is only a short synthesis of the spirit of the Forums with a link to the omplete version of the Ubuntu Forums Rules & Guidelines.

Regards,
Raf

Raf Rzedowski
September 10th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Hey!

The registration window could be like this:

[[Title]The spirit of the Ubuntu Forums]

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums!

Before registering, bear in mind the following.
Ubuntu Forums do exist in order to bring Ubuntu users together, to help you and to let you help others.
Ubuntu Forums are free and open to every one thanks to it's owner, Ubuntu-Geek. (perhaps is worth to mention there vBuletin, Canonical, other administrators and whomever is responsible for bringing those Forums to the public).

Whenever you'll write a post there, remember to be:

Decent, no sleaziness, no obscenities
Clear, mean to be understood
Relevant, bring in something meaningful
Respectful, no insults, no threats

Please do consult all the [[link] Rules and Guidelines of Ubuntu Forums]. They will be enforced by the web-masters.

Learn, collaborate and enjoy Ubuntu!

[[Check box]] I have read and I understand the spirit of Ubuntu Forums

What do you think?

Regards,
Raf

meng
September 10th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I agree that most users not only won't read it all, but won't read it AT all. I imagine that requesting some sort of acknowledgment is a token effort to encourage a minority to take some notice. Perjury is really a non-issue, particularly compared to the standard EULA. I don't know the best way to encourage "proper" posting, and in any case most members here are pretty tolerant of others who break the spirit of the rules.

Raf Rzedowski
September 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Ha! Dont let standard EULA inspire yourself!
If the text fits in one window, perhaps many will read it.

Regards,
Raf

jdong
September 10th, 2006, 08:40 PM
It has been prior incidents in the forum that has required us to clarify/fortify our guidelines, which has lead to its current length. I'm afraid it's necessary :-/

Raf Rzedowski
September 10th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Sure the rules can be long. But perhaps, it isn't necessary to stick them in the registration process. Especially if many people don't read them. A synthesis and a link should be enough.
To draw a parallel, the majority of inhabitants of a country haven't read all the laws. This doesn't mean they are not bonded by those laws. Furthermore, they should be familiar with the constitution which is the spirit of the law.