PDA

View Full Version : The Wonderful World of Linux

ionophore
September 10th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Ok, so I hesitate to post this because I'm certain that I'll be slammed and accused of being a troll, but something happened to me a few minutes ago and I think it really does a great job of summing up my experience with Linux (generally speaking). It's just too perfect to not mention.

Recently, my hard drive died, and tonight (a few hours ago) I set about installing Kubuntu on a new drive that I had laying around. I've done this a few times in the past, so I knew what I was doing. Nevertheless, it took me over 3 hours after I had the main installation done to get things working. Problems included resolution problems (had to edit xorg.conf a number of times), problems installing packages (the installer had commented out several essential repositiries, for what reason I can not fathom), problems installing new software (items were not showing up on the menu until after restart), and really a host of other things that I won't go in to. I'm sure everybody here is fimilar with spending hours trying to get their systems set up and working. This is not the point of my post.

On Kubuntu (this may also be true on Ubuntu), if you install Firefox and then open it up it'll take you to a local page (on my system: file:///usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/index.html) titled "About Kubuntu." There's a table of contents on this thing and the first entry is titled "The Wonderful World of Linux." I clicked this link hoping for some nice propaganda to soothe and remind me why i just spent _hours_ upon _hours_ screwing with problems that shouldn't have been problems.

What did I find?

The link is broken.

I would file a bug report or look into the problem a bit more but I actually believe that this is appropriate. If it is a bug, it shouldn't be fixed. The broken link is the best introduction to linux I think that anyone could ever get.

-----

Ok, now in all seriousness I'm not actually bitter about Linux/Ubuntu. I've been using Kubuntu for about a year now, and Linux (other distros) off and on for about 5 years before that. This is a lighthearted post in which I am merely pointing out something that I actually find funny. Have a nice day.

-Ben

jperez
September 10th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Wow, I didn't even read the local page when it first came up, but I'm using Ubuntu. Well, sucks that you had so many problems. The biggest problems I had were the SpeedStep driver not working properly (PIIIm 1Ghz) and my nVidia drivers were not updated. I fixed both just recently. Other than that, Ubuntu is the best system I have ever used. The only thing I don't like is aMule as it tends to slow down the machine, but that's what I get for using P2P software. Eh.

Jesse~

_simon_
September 10th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Maybe it's Kubuntu specific.

It doesn't mention the wonderful world of linux on the Ubuntu one.