PDA

View Full Version : Reliable and compatible DVD burning--when?

blastus
September 9th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I just bought an LG GSA-H10N burner and have burnt about 30 DVD-RW RiData and Fujifilm DVD+R/DVD+R DL DVDs. I have already experienced reliability and compatibility problems such as:

- One DVD-RW burnt DAO can be read in my DVD burner but not in a friend's DVD burner (that is DVD-RW compatible)...WTF!
- One DVD-RW that has been rewritten a few times can now only burn at 1x maximum...WTF!
- At least two DVD-RW failed burns
- At least one DVD+R failed burn
- At least one DVD+R DL failed burn

So that's a 20% (6/30) *failure* rate. I remember when CD burners came out. I bought a Ricoh burner (supposedly one of the best in the market) in 1999 for about $300. That stupid burner would burn coasters left and right. Burning CDs back then was a crap shoot and you could only burn at extremely low speeds. My experience with first or second generation CD burning was one of the main reasons why I put off getting a DVD burner for so long.

CD burning is very reliable now. I haven't burnt a single coaster or incompatible CD in years in several different CD burners and I've burns tons of CDs. I think that it will take two to three more years before DVD burner manufacturers, DVD media manufacturers and whoever else is involved to get their crap together and provide a reliable DVD burning solution. Until then I guess we have to put up with the mess they have created.

croak77
September 9th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I haven't had any problems with my dvd burner. No coasters and they all have played in my dvd player if it was meant to. It's a shuttle dvd drive.

kovbat
March 4th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I also have the gsa-h10n with edgy on board. The is no problem with DVD-R, but th writer doesn't want to burn CD! GnomeBaker, K3B.. switching to DAO.. nothing works:(

laredo7mm
March 5th, 2007, 02:26 AM
I have burned close to 1000 DVD's. Some in SuSe, some in Edgy, and some in Feisty. Most with my 16X NEC Burner and the rest with my 18X NEC Burner. The only problems I have had is with Sony DVD+R media, and trying to burn a 16X DVD at 18X.

Out of 1000 DVD's I have probably coastered about 20. I only use Verbatim 16X DVD+R now and have zero issues.

I guess I never saw the point in re-writable DVD's since you can buy normal 16X DVD+R's for $30 (or less) for a spool of 100. I just ordered a spool of 100 for $17 (after rebate).

Try buying some DVDR's that were made using the AZO die and see how they work out for you.

Polygon
March 5th, 2007, 02:33 AM
my dvd burner has not failed yet, but i only burn dvd-r... i havent tried and rw's

ramjet_1953
March 5th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I have a LG GSA-5163D Super Multi External DVD / DVD RAM.

After making sure all of the config in K3B was set correctly and after setting up a group called burning and putting myself in it, there have been no problems at all.

I believe that a lot of issues with CD and DVD burning are caused by permission issues. That is why I created the burning group. When going through the setup in K3b, I recall that one of the menus is about whether or not to use the "burning" group.

One slight issue that I did notice early on was a problem in using it in firewire mode. It seems to work better in USB mode. Again, this could be a permissions issue, but I haven't bothered to pursue it, as it works fine in USB mode.

One thing that I did right from the start was to use re-writable CD's and DVD's until I was happy that all was working OK. Certainly saves making coasters!

Regards,
Roger :cool:

bytor4232
March 5th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I have a Lite On DVD burner, and have had no problems with the few DVD's I've created. Of course, I'm only using DVD+R media since its so cheap. Same thing with CD's. I've experienced several problems with CD-RW's, but zero problems with CD-Rs.