PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Side of Windows Vista

weekend warrior
September 9th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Not really following the whole Vista "thang" I missed this vitriolic article (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_rc1_worst.asp) that (erstwhile?) Windows fanboy Paul Thurrott wrote a few days ago. My my, it really looks a mess - and that was just looking at the outside bits that, knowing MS, probably hide some rather unsightly things lurking within! :shock: Glad I don't need to worry about it, but do feel for those who will have to deal with what's looking more and more like a big stuffup in a number of areas, this being a release candidate and all - heh... more like the Manchurian Candidate - they all must be brainwashed! ;) hehe.

Fair play to Thurrott for writing this. At the end he mentions he could go on and maybe will. I hope he does. Interesting that he's been nice (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/linux_ubuntu504.asp) and positive (http://www.internet-nexus.com/2006/06/ubuntu-606-released.htm) about Ubuntu recently. Maybe when "hasta la Vista" is finally released he'll see the light entirely.

So anyone here actually tried this RC1?

insane_alien
September 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM
i always thought things needed a light side to have a darkside. oh well.

weekend warrior
September 9th, 2006, 07:51 PM
The light side according to Thurrott is over here (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_rc1_best.asp).

SoundMachine
September 9th, 2006, 08:01 PM
The bright side is that Vista is an OS that CAN rely on HW TPM to make it more secure than ANY other OS to date, that even includes my favourite OS OpenBSD.

The rest, interface and crap? LOL, the users will use whatever i tell them to use and in a way that others tell them to use it, they need to do their work and it's my job to make sure that they can.

I'm sorry but this whole business with home users and crap, it's going to be installed on every new computer and pretty much everyone will use it by default so.

Now i know that we are not like that on this forum, we don't care about Vista, bashing it is beyond us because after all, we don't use it and never will.

Move this to the backyard.

weekend warrior
September 9th, 2006, 08:20 PM
If the levity came across as bashing it wasn't intended. I was surprised by how harsh Thurrott was and found it interesting. I did point to the good things he had to say as well. If it looks like it'll go downhill though then sure, move it to the backyard.

croak77
September 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM
It's still only and RC. So I'm sure those problems will be addressed. After all why would you release a RC if you didn't want to hear how it could be improved.

mips
September 9th, 2006, 09:19 PM
"Luke I am your father"

"If you only knew the power of the dark side of the force"...

SoundMachine
September 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Thurrott wants attention, nothing more, it's crap, it's BS at best and even the average tester knows better.

I find it sad that he has to do this to get attention, *sigh*

No hard feelings though, i'm just very tired and bored with "omg vista sucks" threads on this LINUX forum. ;)

I have spent several hours educating people on TPM DRM and WGA and yet, the threads keep on coming.

Vista will be a great OS and it has nothing to do with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu will be Ubuntu whether Vista is great or worthless, let's stick to what Ubuntu is, bashing Vista won't make it better.

I sound some strange things going on in librsvg and trying to submit a fix isn't the easiest thing even for testing, Ubuntu needs to improve communication more than anything else.

SoundMachine
September 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM
"Luke I am your father"

"If you only knew the power of the dark side of the force"...

LMAO! Thanks for making me laugh man. :D

Yossarian
September 10th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Maybe I'm reading the wrong article, but I don't see the outrage. In fact he says Vista is basically OK at the end.

Good article, though. Thurott FTW.

SoundMachine
September 10th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Maybe I'm reading the wrong article, but I don't see the outrage. In fact he says Vista is basically OK at the end.

Good article, though. Thurott FTW.

Apart from being completly worthless, i guess it is ok.

Did he mention the security aspects and the implementation?

Did he mention how they used it far beyond what Linux has, and how Vista is a safer OS for the everyday user?

No, huh? You know why? Because it's like asking Saddam Hussein to write something on the US.

potrick
September 10th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Dude, I saw the header and I totally thought the post was going to be about booting Windows Vista while playing the Pink Floyd albumn "Dark Side of the Moon". I heard there's some crazy coincidences during the boot up.

Reshin
September 10th, 2006, 09:39 AM
It's useless to resist. It is your destiny!

M7S
September 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM
SoundMachine, you are talking in favor of TMP all over this forum right now (and not in the most polite way all the time). Do you have any sources to back up your stand-point? Links please :)

Regards,
M7S

EdThaSlayer
September 10th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Even though that guy might be a serious Windows Vista fan, he did point out all the flaws. The one that i was interested in the most was the searching, where if the guy wanted to search a file in the same window a little bar with search and where you could type would show up. I then thought to myself---the linux Gui GNOME already has this!! Just shows how little innovation Microsoft has ^_^

Rhapsody
September 10th, 2006, 02:56 PM
The bright side is that Vista is an OS that CAN rely on HW TPM to make it more secure than ANY other OS to date, that even includes my favourite OS OpenBSD.

I have spent several hours educating people on TPM DRM and WGA and yet, the threads keep on coming.
I can see some advantages to the Trusted Platform Module (BitLocker Drive Encryption certainly looks interesting, if a bit over-the-top for most home users).

But if I'm ever going to use one on my PC, I want two ironclad gurantees about it.

1) I get to know what it's doing, and have the option to say no at any time.

2) I get to control the module, and can make it do whatever I want it to (basically the proposed 'owner override' function) or turn it off entirely.

I don't trust Microsoft to give me either of these things. Hence, Vista is not going on any PC I should own and have control over.

I could go on for hours about trusted computing and the enormous potential it has for actually compromising your security, but I'm sure you've heard that before, so I'll stop here.

Yossarian
September 10th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by SoundMachine
Apart from being completly worthless, i guess it is ok.

Did he mention the security aspects and the implementation?

Did he mention how they used it far beyond what Linux has, and how Vista is a safer OS for the everyday user?

No, huh? You know why? Because it's like asking Saddam Hussein to write something on the US.

He's doing a series on Windows Vista, and this article was his treatment of Vista's bad features. Maybe he thinks the security is great, in which case it wouldn't fit into this article. Or maybe he's planning an entire article on security later, as it's an important issue and he's criticized MS for their bad security in the past.

But no, that's crazy talk. The real answer is obvious: Paul Thurott is in fact Saddam Hussein.