PDA

View Full Version : is there a term for when seller doesn't state entire truth, but just a half-truth?

hanzj
September 9th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I'm trying to find the right terminology. What do you call it when the seller sells something without letting buyers know the whole truth? Is there a technical term for this type of "sneakiness"?

I don't think it's called False Advertising. Because the seller did not state a lie. He just didn't state the whole truth.

say someone sells a car, and he shows you pictures of a nice lamborghini. and the price is ok. then when you pay for the item, you find out that it is missing some expensive internal parts, or that powerful engine has been replaced with that of a lawnmower's! Now, technically speaking, he did not *lie* to you.

Is there a term to describe it when a seller knows that the buyer is going to think in a certain way, but the seller doesn't correct the buyer's thoughts?

croak77
September 9th, 2006, 07:53 AM
con artist? shyster? dad?

paddy1978
September 9th, 2006, 09:19 AM
A 'misleading advert'? http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/Misleading+adverts/default.htm

blackened
September 9th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Misleading advertisory detail omission?

.t.
September 9th, 2006, 10:45 AM
It's called equivocation.

equivocation

n 1: a statement that is not literally false but that cleverly avoids an unpleasant truth [syn: evasion] 2: intentionally vague or ambiguous [syn: prevarication, evasiveness] 3: falsification by means of vague or ambiguous language [syn: tergiversation]

rowanparker
September 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I am guessing that this happened to you, or something simular. Can you please share it with us?

.t.
September 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Huh?

Nope. I just know what words mean... (coincidentally, we were talking about the witches' equivocation in Macbeth in English at school recently, so it stuck in my head).

sanderella
September 9th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Masking.

maniacmusician
September 9th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Huh?

Nope. I just know what words mean... (coincidentally, we were talking about the witches' equivocation in Macbeth in English at school recently, so it stuck in my head).
i think he was asking hanzj :wink:

.t.
September 9th, 2006, 01:57 PM
That would explain a lot! :oops:

bscook
September 9th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I'm trying to find the right terminology. What do you call it when the seller sells something without letting buyers know the whole truth? Is there a technical term for this type of "sneakiness"?

I don't think it's called False Advertising. Because the seller did not state a lie. He just didn't state the whole truth.

say someone sells a car, and he shows you pictures of a nice lamborghini. and the price is ok. then when you pay for the item, you find out that it is missing some expensive internal parts, or that powerful engine has been replaced with that of a lawnmower's! Now, technically speaking, he did not *lie* to you.

Is there a term to describe it when a seller knows that the buyer is going to think in a certain way, but the seller doesn't correct the buyer's thoughts?

the correct "business" term for it is MARKETING (includes 4P). your specific example about the car & mower is called FRAUD, although the most cars like sold like that are probably sold "as is," so caveat emptor.
Your example is also close to "bait & switch" which is illegal in most jurisdictions -- IE when the seller advertises something really attractive, but when you go to buy they give you something more expensive.