PDA

View Full Version : How to get beans

max.diems
September 9th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Top ways to get beans (posts)

Post information like this
Answer questions
Ask questions
Post information about LinuxI'll add ways when I think of them.;)

aysiu
September 9th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Why do you want to get beans?

noob_Lance
September 9th, 2006, 06:20 AM
why wouldnt he?

max.diems
September 9th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Check my beancount :).

aysiu
September 9th, 2006, 06:31 AM
why wouldnt he?
Because bean counts mean only that you've posted a lot... and nothing else. They don't mean you're smarter, nicer, better, richer, or more knowledgeable. More beans = more posts. So posting more to get more beans doesn't really have a point.

croak77
September 9th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Is there a way to disable beans? Not just hide bean count but also the bean/cup/mug pictures.

Juippisi
September 9th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Oh hell no... "I need to start post everything to get beans, lots of beans!"

No no, wrong attitude. You should just ignore the beans and start to share your opinions, help and knowledge. If you just start to post posts like "yes." or something like that, I bet you'll get banned.

Oh and posting under community cafe doesn't increase the amount of your beans, if I remember correctly.

Klaidas
September 9th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Here's a good way:
You go to a shop
You buy coffee
You go back home, unpack it
Woah - so many beans!

omns
September 9th, 2006, 11:03 PM

jeffc313
September 10th, 2006, 12:52 AM
tea>coffee
oh how I love gingerbread spice holiday tea!
I stock up around christmas time on it so i can drink it year round!

max.diems
September 10th, 2006, 04:00 PM
People are taking this too seriously.

newlinux
September 11th, 2006, 01:00 AM
I think it is just human competitive nature for some people to want to have more beans. For some, they'll just post mindless posts (this one not included). But for others -- I think it will drive them to be more active on the boards with useful information. Still yet for others, it will have no effect. No, more beans don't mean your smarter, richer, etc. - but it is still incentive for some, and probably overall having a bean count has a positive effect on the forums.

mrgotea
September 11th, 2006, 04:43 AM
What beans?

benplaut
September 11th, 2006, 08:09 AM
I've seen that many of the users with high postcounts (myself included) opt to hide their counts...

panickedthumb
September 12th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I've seen that many of the users with high postcounts (myself included) opt to hide their counts...
Heh, shows you how much I pay attention to post counts. I didn't even realize that we could hide post counts. I must not have gotten the memo :)

picpak
September 12th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Omfgz Wiat Until I Tell My Freinds I Got Liek 1000 Hundred Beanzlol!!!111 Ill Be Teh Coolest Kid On The Block!11111

*edit* That caps-filter is good. A little too good.

newlinux
September 12th, 2006, 03:41 AM
even with bean counts hidden you can still get a sense for the range of posts one has through their "bean label" and join date... Nothing exact, but after seeing enough you can get an idea.

Kilz
September 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
even with bean counts hidden you can still get a sense for the range of posts one has through their "bean label" and join date... Nothing exact, but after seeing enough you can get an idea.

Yes, because I have noticed quite a few new members hiding the counts. Their questions, join date, and other factors can show a lot about their knowlage or commitment.
What I miss are the bean counts of "im leaving" postsers. I used to love to point out some made under 5 posts before leaving. Thus not asking questions to fix the problems they were complaining about.
But the bean count for low number posters is still avaialable. Just click on a name and chose "find all posts by" if its under 250 you will know the number.

omns
September 12th, 2006, 10:37 PM

Klaidas
September 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Edit: Nevermind

jrcmuniz
September 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Edit: Nevermind

What's the real reason to get worried about the number of beans? I mean, IMO it's just a funny thing like oh! he/she has more than 2000 beans! whata great thing... he/she should be great... For me it doesn't really matter... What people should do is to search more on the forum pages BEFORE post and/or answer some question... you can see a lot of similar questions and answers... and a lot of just "yes/no" answers as someone already said here...
Nevermind... just a thought.
Cheers and beans for everyone! ;)

Anonii
September 13th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Hello guys! Am I late for the ***** contest?

steve.horsley
September 15th, 2006, 07:47 PM
LOL. You don't get beans for posting in the café.

I recon Aysiu hides his bean counter because he's so close to wrapping round to 0.

Brunellus
September 15th, 2006, 08:01 PM
LOL. You don't get beans for posting in the café.

I recon Aysiu hides his bean counter because he's so close to wrapping round to 0.
aysiu is trying for a buffe^H^H^H^H^H^H^H er, bean overflow exploit.

xpod
September 15th, 2006, 08:11 PM

I too had that problem but im better now

EDIT:
Bean counts and join dates don't always tell the full story. Mine is a good example.

Your`s makes me feel better still

Cariboo1938
September 16th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Because bean counts mean only that you've posted a lot... and nothing else. They don't mean you're smarter, nicer, better, richer, or more knowledgeable. More beans = more posts. So posting more to get more beans doesn't really have a point.

Interesting discussion...may I join...not just for posting another post..I'm not a a "Bean Collector", no, because I hope to find somebody who knows somebody who would be so kind to look at a thread I posted and posted and posted the last few days, because I'm desperate waiting for a response/any comment/an answer to my question about an error message when I try to mount a CD. Is there something wrong with the question or is something wrong with me? My post gets views, but nobody had an answer or at least any comment on it yet. Here is my question(s) again:

After installing "udftools" for "packet writing" I want to create a new mount point and mount a CD.

Here is what I do:

sudo mkdir -p /media/udf0
and then

sudo mount -t udf -o utf8,noatime /dev/pktcdvd/0 /media/udf0
After that I get the error message:

mount: /dev/pktcdvd/0: can't read superblockThe measures I would have to take where originally posted by dradul View Post (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1476368&postcount=14)

You may need to disable the other, default, entries. The message means that the CD has already been mounted as a read-only volume probably. You can solv it by setting the default entries to be "noauto" and using pmount to mount them as neded.
What do I need to do?
Where can/must I "disable the other, default, entries"?
Please help, I don't know how to do it.
Any comment is very much appreciated!As I said, I would be happy to get any response/hint/thought/idea!
Thanks
Cariboo

Brunellus
September 16th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Cariboo: thread hijacking is NOT OK. Please post in a relevant forum with an appropriate header.

rickc
September 16th, 2006, 06:27 AM

But they are soooo kewl... thats why they are there right??

Zdravko
September 16th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Ah, I wish I had more beans... Dunno why - it is just a sacred wish :)

Anonii
September 16th, 2006, 10:27 AM
I like where this thread is going.

xpod
September 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Ah, I wish I had more beans... Dunno why - it is just a sacred wish

Take mine......just ask the big boy`s to transfer them over...
This ole "has been" wont mind:biggrin:

Cariboo1938
September 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Cariboo: thread hijacking is NOT OK. Please post in a relevant forum with an appropriate header.Ok, Brunellus...I know that...I tried them all and no positive reply so far...it was just a desperate cry for help:( ....Thanks, I won't do it again!

Klaidas
September 16th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Ah, I wish I had more beans... Dunno why - it is just a sacred wish :)

Yah, being thirsty and having no coffee to drink in the morning is not good.

newlinux
September 16th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I'm amazed this thread has gone this long :)

Zdravko
September 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Take mine......just ask the big boy`s to transfer them over...
This ole "has been" wont mind:biggrin:

O, mighty Gods! To thouse throning at Ubuntu's heaven! May you be mercy! I, the poor mortal, wish some beans!

Amen ;)

eg-maverick
September 17th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Is the label on the left (x cups of ubuntu) related to the bean count? How does one get the really neat sounding drinks?
Craig

Klaidas
September 17th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Is the label on the left (x cups of ubuntu) related to the bean count? How does one get the really neat sounding drinks?
Craig

Some things are better to be unknown :-D

joep
September 17th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Who cares ?

xpod
September 17th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Unless mine changes to "Macallans 25yr old single malt" then it aint ever going to have a "cool" sounding drink.
Thats asides im Tetley man ..through and through:confused:

Forget having "cool sounding" drinks and start learning some of the "cool looking" stuff your new ubunto can do:biggrin: .

The more you try learn, the more questions you might ask, and the more questions you ask(or indeed comments you make:-\" )Then the "cooler" looking your bevarages might look.#-o

Personanly i`d rather it did`nt keep showing me how much of a pest i am but im over the shame i first felt and no longer give 2 hoots aboot it:wink:

Donnut
September 17th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Who really cares about beans anyway? They just show how much you gab, not how much you know linux, I don't know that much, that's kind of why I gab so much...

xpod
September 18th, 2006, 12:33 AM
They just show how much you gab

OH THANKS....LOL:-\" :biggrin: ...

I have a good excuse for my gabbing...The alternative is listening to the crap my missus gabs.
And i reckon i gab a bit o sense in my own mad way.

Smarta** remarks about THAT are always welcome @xpod...:biggrin:

Frak
September 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Top ways to get beans (posts)

Post information like this
Answer questions
Ask questions
Post information about LinuxI'll add ways when I think of them.;)
You can also get beans by rating the gallery (20 beans a minute!)

troughton
September 19th, 2006, 01:21 PM
can you trade in beans ?? maybe for a perculator

max.diems
September 21st, 2006, 12:31 AM
People say that more beans != that the person knows more. But think of it this way: more beans = more posts that havn't gotten the person banned, so they probably do know what they're talking about.

And to the person who said cafe posts don't increase beancount: starting threads does, posting doesn't.

tylerjames
September 21st, 2006, 03:13 AM
haha...

I recognize that the bean count doesn't really mean anything, but it is something to aspire to... although not at the expense of quality posts.... someday I'd like to have an ubuntu drip... or at least a carafe.... I just got upgraded to 5 cups, first milestone. I'm sure it'll be years before I get to 1000 posts at this rate.

matthew
September 21st, 2006, 02:21 PM
And to the person who said cafe posts don't increase beancount: starting threads does, posting doesn't.Nowadays, if it's a post, it counts regardless of where it was posted. All cafe posts are counted just like tech forum posts. That's a major reason we say that the bean count is only a measure of one thing: how many times a person has posted in the UbuntuForums. :) There's a bit more here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239560

Frak
September 22nd, 2006, 01:46 AM
People say that more beans != that the person knows more. But think of it this way: more beans = more posts that havn't gotten the person banned, so they probably do know what they're talking about.

And to the person who said cafe posts don't increase beancount: starting threads does, posting doesn't.
Posting gets Beans!

Frak
September 22nd, 2006, 01:48 AM
haha...

I recognize that the bean count doesn't really mean anything, but it is something to aspire to... although not at the expense of quality posts.... someday I'd like to have an ubuntu drip... or at least a carafe.... I just got upgraded to 5 cups, first milestone. I'm sure it'll be years before I get to 1000 posts at this rate.
See I went from 137 to 138 to 139 with this post.
Which proves Beans mean nothing at all.
I know didley.

max.diems
September 23rd, 2006, 09:47 PM
Beans, beans, beans! Lovely beans! Wonderful beans!
The first person to STR gets... actually, I have nothing to give (unless you need a gmail invite for some reason)

panickedthumb
September 24th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Beans, beans, beans! Lovely beans! Wonderful beans!
The first person to STR gets... actually, I have nothing to give (unless you need a gmail invite for some reason)
STR? If you mean "state the reference" it's the Spam skit from Monty Python ;)

sbergman27
October 1st, 2006, 07:33 PM
A few comments.

In my opinion, post counts and post rating systems do more harm than good. It encourages a class structure, which is what Ubuntu is all about *not* having.

Rating systems are worse than post counts. With rating systems, people don't post certain things which are useful but not likely to get rated up. They start saying things with which they know others will strongly agree and, hopefully, rate them up. They hold off posting things which they believe but are afraid will get rated down, hurting their average.

I wish forums would just stop that. Fortunately, we don't have a rating system.

Plus... hasn't Sun already done the 'Beans and Coffee' play into the Grounds???

matthew
October 1st, 2006, 08:20 PM
A few comments.

In my opinion, post counts and post rating systems do more harm than good. It encourages a class structure, which is what Ubuntu is all about *not* having.We talked about this at length...exhausting length...when the decision was made. Post counts themselves are just a number and I can't see that as good or bad. How you interpret the data is where the potential problem lies. It is fun to reward people for participation and we have changed the structure to meaningless semi-random things rather than hierarchical structures (except for staff, even then it's quite mild). Basically, our final product is somewhere in between with the caveat that it's all for fun. Your opinion is noted and the same thing was mentioned and discussed previously before the decision was made. We like what we have now as a reasonable compromise and it's been working pretty well for a long time so we have no plans for any changes.

Rating systems are worse than post counts. With rating systems, people don't post certain things which are useful but not likely to get rated up. They start saying things with which they know others will strongly agree and, hopefully, rate them up. They hold off posting things which they believe but are afraid will get rated down, hurting their average.

I wish forums would just stop that. Fortunately, we don't have a rating system.Agreed. Besides, thats why places like digg.com exist.

Plus... hasn't Sun already done the 'Beans and Coffee' play into the Grounds???No. We want to beat it to death, grind it to a powder, put it in a small pot and boil it until we have a Turkish coffee. ;) It's just a silly thing, if you really don't like it then try to ignore it.

sbergman27
October 1st, 2006, 08:35 PM
Well, don't take my post *too* forcefully.

I agree that Ubuntu Forums have worked *very* well, indeed. It is the focus of the Ubuntu user community, and arguably the #1 strongest thing Ubuntu has going for it. (No slight on the distro itself, but there are other good distros and only *one* Ubuntu community.)

The java bean thing is just a small nit with me. Mainly a vehicle for shoehorning my "into the Grounds" pun into the post. :-)

If this forum had a rating system, *then* I'd be really concerned. Just look at osnews.com. Excellent site aside from the rampantly abused rating system.

dolphinsonar
October 5th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Having a lot of beans only shows that you are drinking a lot of coffee and avoiding socializing, like I have been doing for the past 2 hours.

sympeltun
October 5th, 2006, 07:39 PM
beans are healthy.. they mean loyalty to ubuntu too lol. :) thats a good enough reason to get more beans

d3v1ant_0n3
October 6th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Is there a way to disable beans? Not just hide bean count but also the bean/cup/mug pictures.

Adblock plus for FF should make the beans go away if you tell it to.

I like the beans, they bring a certain light-heartedness to the forum...also they tie in well with the sheer brown-ness of ubuntu:D

But post count does not equal knowledge. Or large genitals.

max.diems
October 9th, 2006, 03:30 AM
NEED MORE REPLIES! *BUMP*

Sorry about that.

Is the label on the left (x cups of ubuntu) related to the bean count?

Yeah, it changes with more posts, the more posts the cooler the drink. And there's "spilled the beans" on 14 posts, changes at 15.
(Secret tip: I'm working on a listing of this, only have up to five cups so far though)

matthew
October 9th, 2006, 08:31 AM
(Secret tip: I'm working on a listing of this, only have up to five cups so far though)
FYI, the timing of the changes is not consistent. From time to time we modify when the titles/cups change. You are welcome to have fun figuring out how it is now, but it won't stay that way forever. :)