PDA

View Full Version : some questions

Choad
September 8th, 2006, 07:07 PM
basically, i am thinking of making a content management system for the sony psp

i want to make it with gtk, and all it really needs to do is detect when a psp is connected, then search various subdirectories for music, videos and photos - and allow the management of said content

i have tried learning c/c++ before with limited success, because i just get bored following tutorials. i need a real project to teach me how to do this stuff

so i wil be teaching myself

- the programming language i write this in
- gtk
- how the hell you do file system stuff
- how the hell you detect usb devices, and specifically if it is a psp

firstly, do you think this is a really silly way to learn all of those things? is it just too much? i have quite a bit of programming experience in VB and also a tool called "gamemaker" (which altho somewhat unsophisticated, did teach me how to program and has syntax comparable to c++)

secondly, what language? i was thinking c++

thirdly, any general comments?

oh yeah and fourthly, gtk is what xfce is based on right? i want it to be happy to run in xfce *without* additional libraries being loaded

skymt
September 8th, 2006, 07:32 PM
1. Having a project is a great way to learn to program. All the languages I've stuck with and learned, I started with a project in mind. Whenever I try to learn a language because it seems like a good language to learn, I don't get far at all. Go for it, dive in!

2. If I were you, I'd do it in Python. It can do everything you describe, it has GTK bindings (you may want to use Glade), and it's easy to learn. You can Google around for a Python tutorial, there are plenty of good ones.

4. Yep, XFCE is based on GTK.

3. Your program sounds like a great idea with a lot of demand. I've seen a lot of programs for specific PSP-related tasks, but an all-in-one solution sounds like a great idea.