PDA

View Full Version : 60gb+ portable media player recommendations

qiemem
September 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Sorry for another one of these sorts of threads, but I had some specific questions that I wasn't really finding specific answers for.

Here's the basic requirements for what I'm looking for:

Size: 60gb+ (would like to fit whole collection on there)
File Format: ogg (not necessary), aac (I know I know, but a large amount of my collection is in m4a. I can convert, but would like to avoid that), mp3 (duh), mpc (would be sweet, but not necessary; only have a few albums in this format)
Organization: Easy to sort through large amounts of music, tag sorting (see below), etc.

Alright, so given a what I'm looking for, what works for others? Looks like Cowons stuff is pretty close, but the lack of tag sorting/aac support kinda gets me.

Or, given these reqs, should I just go with Rockbox? In that case, what media players have the best hardware/Rockbox support? Is this a good idea? What are biggest deficincies with Rockbox these days? I suppose this is the most important question. If I am buying a player without regard to the software on it, what should I go for?

About tag sorting, my music collection is fairly well organized, but still, listening to all songs by a certain artist, or a soundtrack, etc, sorta requires tag sorting. How do those of you without tag sorting fair? What techniques do you use to get around it? How necessary do you think it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, after I've collected responses, I'll report my findings to help those looking for something similar in the future. Thanks!

qiemem
September 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Anyone?

darkhatter
September 9th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Ipod video

qiemem
September 10th, 2006, 08:02 PM
um... well first off ipods don't support ogg and as far as hardware goes, their batteries are infamously bad... how bout something that won't break after a year?

I was sort of hoping to hear some more creative responses. Obviously I could default to ipod, but as I'd prolly put rockbox on there anyway, I think I can do better.

Anyone?

mostwanted
September 10th, 2006, 08:58 PM
iAudio X5 60 GB?

http://www.amazon.com/iAudio-X5-GB-Multimedia-Player/dp/B000BKPK90

qiemem
September 10th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Do you have an x5? How do you like it? Its lacks aac support. Hows the hardware though? Anybody try rockbox on one of these?

maniacmusician
September 11th, 2006, 04:06 AM
i dont have one, but my friend does. it seems decent enough. I have a Zen Touch. Don't like it though.

edit: actually, the X5 is f*cking awesome. it's one of my favorite players; i wish i'd bought it. i just went for a cheaper solution. I think that you'll be very happy with it...

and let me add that you're unlikely to find aac support in many places. so this is probably the best you can get.

P.S.: sorry about my first rather lethargic post. I'm tired, but that doesn't mean i should make ****** posts ;)

NoTiG
September 11th, 2006, 04:41 AM
And, with the unit's built-in, high-fidelity microphone, the X5 can record speech with the quality of dedicated voice r
ecorders--perfect for important meetings, lectures, and notes to self.

hey you can justify it as a school expense :P

ekuliak
September 11th, 2006, 05:47 AM
I've had my eye on the iAudio X5 for a while.

But I have to ask, what is it like navigating with the little joystick?

maniacmusician
September 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM
a little odd at first but its fine once you get used to it. I only use it occasionally (it's my friends, not mine) and it only took a couple of times to get used to it

darkhatter
September 12th, 2006, 12:38 AM
my nano better not die on me after a year I paid 250 for that thing, I know the battery life is short, but I didn't think the life of the battery in general is bad, I have a 5th gen, shouldn't this stuff be fixed.

augied
September 12th, 2006, 04:51 AM
I've been drooling over the x5 for a while now. About a week ago, I found out that the 60gb model is discontinued. I don't know if this effects your decision, I haven't decided yet if it effects mine.
Another option I have considered is the iRiver H140. It has a 40gb hard disk, but you can buy a 60gb disk separately for $100-$150. (There is also an 80gb which is sold out of every store at the moment (iPod?) and I think there's a 120gb coming later this year, but I don't know if that one would fit.)

maniacmusician
September 12th, 2006, 04:57 PM
sucks that the X5 60Gb is sold out...40 is too little for me. i have about 37GBs of music....

cbudden
September 12th, 2006, 07:50 PM
How about the new 80 gig iPod?

maniacmusician
September 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM
geh iPods make me gag. i've never liked apple hardware.

MetalMusicAddict
September 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I would look into getting a used/reconditioned iRiver H340. I have one that I put a 60gig drive in. I knew the 80gig (still too small for my collection) drives were commin out but I couldnt wait and knew the price would suck. Also I say a H340 because the 320 is slightly thinner. If you did a drive swap it wouldnt fit.

So right now I have a H360 with a battery and HD mod. Rockbox and the iRiver software installed. I mostly use the Iriver software though. Rockbox needs work on battery life.

And the iAudio X5 are really nice also.

Sushi
September 13th, 2006, 09:46 AM
um... well first off ipods don't support ogg and as far as hardware goes, their batteries are infamously bad... how bout something that won't break after a year?

"infamously bad"? I have a 6GB iPod Mini which I bought about 14 months ago. And it's still working fine, batteries included. So I would say that the batteries are not "infamously bad". The lack of ogg-support is a valid complaint, but I have no complaints as far as the battery is concerned.

Lord Illidan
September 13th, 2006, 10:05 AM
My sister's new ipod nano has a useless battery life. My Creative Zen Micro which is harddisk based has a better life...and it is not new, either.

Avoid Apple hardware, hehe.

MetalMusicAddict
September 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM
"infamously bad"? I have a 6GB iPod Mini which I bought about 14 months ago. And it's still working fine, batteries included. So I would say that the batteries are not "infamously bad". The lack of ogg-support is a valid complaint, but I have no complaints as far as the battery is concerned.

The regular iPod batteries are "infamously bad". Everyone I know with one older than 1 year has replaced theirs. The iRiver H340 has the same battery as the iPods. Ive replaced mine. The replacement batteries you can get ROCK though. No crap, I doubled my battery life in my player. About 16hrs.

chaosgeisterchen
September 14th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I can only tell that my Zen Touch has great battery life but Creative stopped production.

Sushi
September 15th, 2006, 07:22 AM
The regular iPod batteries are "infamously bad". Everyone I know with one older than 1 year has replaced theirs.

I have regural battery in my Mini. And like I said, I have used the device extensively for over 14 months now. And I have zero problems with it, and I have no need to replace it.

Soarer
September 15th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I have a 30 gb X5 running the standard firmware. Its great, but then my wife loves her Nano too. No problems with the joystick yet, battery life is good for a HD model, sound is terrific, ogg, flac & mp3 all work fine. True no aac but I don't care. I thought I would miss the tags but in fact I have music organised into artist/album/tracks & I find that's OK for me. YMMV.