PDA

View Full Version : rsync + enfcs +sshfs

keithweddell
September 8th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I'm trying to use rsync to back up some files that I want to store on my isp server where I have some spare free space. As the server is obviously not secure I want to use encfs to encrypt the files.

1. I can mount the remote directory using sshfs so that it appears in my local file system.

2. I can then mount the remote encrypted directory using enfs.

3. I can use rsync to backup my home directory.

However, I want to back up other files for which I need root permisions. If I use sudo rsync I can access the files but do not have permissions to save them in the encfs directory. If I don't use sudo, I can save into the encfs directory but can't access the files. I seem to be stuck between two conflicting permissions problems. Can anyone suggest a way round this?

Keith

keithweddell
September 8th, 2006, 03:43 PM
OK I think I've solved this. Create a file called /etc/fuse.conf which contains "user_allow_other". This allows you to pass allow_other or allow_root options to encfs.

The only problem is there seems to be a bug in encfs which changes the date modified of files. This makes it useless for rsync incremental backups. Guess I'll go back to tar and scp.

Keith

guruofquality
November 25th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I'm trying to use rsync to back up some files that I want to store on my isp server where I have some spare free space. As the server is obviously not secure I want to use encfs to encrypt the files.

1. I can mount the remote directory using sshfs so that it appears in my local file system.

2. I can then mount the remote encrypted directory using enfs.

3. I can use rsync to backup my home directory.

However, I want to back up other files for which I need root permisions. If I use sudo rsync I can access the files but do not have permissions to save them in the encfs directory. If I don't use sudo, I can save into the encfs directory but can't access the files. I seem to be stuck between two conflicting permissions problems. Can anyone suggest a way round this?

Keith

Can you edit the mount options for the encfs to force the UID to be your UID and not root?. Use uid=XXXX

jtc
January 17th, 2007, 05:38 AM
OK I think I've solved this. Create a file The only problem is there seems to be a bug in encfs which changes the date modified of files. This makes it useless for rsync incremental backups.

I use rsync in combination with encfs without any timestamp problems. Althought I guess there are a few diffrent ways you can implement those two programs.

Anyway, have you tried using rsync with --checksum? Then it is supposed to skip files based on their checksum instead of mod-time and size.